Safety Tips in Kentucky

by Stephen-KarenConn

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in Kentucky

Look out for Sudden Ice storms

by Gra8ful Updated Oct 7, 2005

If your coming to Kentucky in the Winter time be aware of sudden Ice storms that can leave the I-75 paralyzed. In December 2004 we were on I-75 it looked clear one min then the next 30 min. we were in a Nightmare. A sudden Ice storm had hit out of nowhere and we were 4 hours getting to the next exit that was only 5 miles ahead. Cars were in the ditch and wrecked left and right. I looked like a war zone. We were on of the Lucky ones. Always get a weather update when traveling through Kentucky in the Winter. On a cell phone get road info by pressing (5-1-1)

Ice storm
    • Study Abroad

• Gra8ful's Profile Photo

Look out for Falling Rocks!

by Gra8ful Updated Oct 7, 2005

Kentucky has come a long way in resent years for road safety concerning Rock falls near their Interstate. In the picture you can see how the Wall next to the side of the road has been cut and layered. Be careful because not all roads are layered and still people die because of rocks falling on their cars or trucks.

Road side High wall
    • Study Abroad

Don't feed the Bears!!

by Gra8ful Updated Oct 7, 2005

Eastern Kentucky has seen more and more of an increase in the Black Bear population. Although black bears are generally not aggressive, they can be dangerous if certain rules of safety are not observed. Remember if you come face to face to one of the beautiful bears do not run
    from them or feed them
    . This will cause them to associate people with food and cause someone to get hurt or the bear to have to be killed.

American Black Bear
    • Seniors
    • Photography

• deecat's Profile Photo

Sorry, You Cannot Visit!

by deecat Written Jan 9, 2005

Don't know where else to put this information so I'll try it as a warning.
    In the Bluegrass Region south of Louisville, the United States Gold Depository holds most of the nation's gold. This gold is held in underground vaults where the door to the main vault is made of concrete and steel and weighs more than 20 tons!
    It was in 1936 that the United States started storing its gold at Fort Knox, and many Kentuckians got jobs at the fort.

Note: this photo is not mine; I knew I could not visit. I took this picture from an old book that I had.
    NO VISITORS ARE ALLOWED, so you cannot tour the place.

Fort Knox
    • Architecture

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo

Deadly Highways

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated Jun 1, 2004

Caution: Kentucky Highways may be hazardous to your health!

This monument, at the Kentucky Welcome Center on I-75, just north of the Tennessee border, shows that an average of between two and three people are killed every single day on Kentucky highways. And that number is increasing almost every year.

If the same amount of people were killed - nationwide - in airplane crashes, the media would have a frenzy. When that number are killed - nationwide - defending our liberty, people protest in the streets.

When 50 times as many people who die in Kentucky accidents are killed on United States highways every day, few people seem to notice.

Buckle up!
    Don't drive like an idiot!
    And if you tailgate me, then beware my Road Rage!

Memorial to Victims Killed on Kentucky Highways

• If driving in remote areas of...

by PamelaXR7 Written Aug 26, 2002

If driving in remote areas of the country at night beware of deer running out in front of your vehicle. They could total your car out if they are big enough. I've lived here my whole life and I have never hit one yet but I have missed hitting them several times. It seems like they are seen more on the roads when the weather starts getting cooler....maybe it has something to do with deer hunting season! Anyway...BE ON ALERT WHEN DRIVING!

• Ky_Happy_Dad's Profile Photo

I would avoid hiking in remote...

by Ky_Happy_Dad Written Aug 24, 2002

I would avoid hiking in remote parts of the Daniel Boone National Forrest or on private lands in Eastern Kentucky. Marijuana growers have been known to grow their crop on public lands and booby trap their fields.

• In all US states, dogs have to...

by PeterDW Written Aug 24, 2002

In all US states, dogs have to be on a leash. When I was told, I was also told that Kentucky is the exception to the rule.

This turnt out to be true. When riding our bikes through the KY hills, we were often chased by big, ugly dogs with a big sets of teeth. Sometimes, they came too close to us for our own well-being. This is when the $10-pepperspray turnt out to be a usefull investment.

So be warned...

• johanl's Profile Photo

SPEEDTRAPS

by johanl Updated Feb 22, 2003

Speeding is dangerous in the US. Stick to the indicated speedlimits or you will end up with a ticket. (as we experienced)

Interstate

Rough River Dam State Park Hotels
Cadiz Hotels
8 Hotels

Instant Answers: Kentucky

Comments

Kentucky Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Kentucky warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kentucky sightseeing.
Map of Kentucky