Abita Springs Things to Do

House of Shards
    Buford the 30-foot Bassigator
  • Synchronized Electrical Figurines and City Scenes
    Synchronized Electrical Figurines and...

Best Rated Things to Do in Abita Springs

• msbrandysue's Profile Photo

Biking, Walking, or Jogging the Tammany Trace

by msbrandysue Written Dec 7, 2009

St. Tammany Parish is sort of like Harris County in Houston. It houses many different smaller cities. At least that's what I'm equating it with. In support of the beautiful landscape the parrish built 31 miles of connecting pavement for those to enjoy the tall pine trees and weather the area allows.

The Trace connects Covington, Mandeville, Abita Springs and Slidell. At each of the cities there is a Trailhead with places to use the restroom and facilities. There are also other attractions. I listed more pictures and information in my Things To Do Tips for each city.

The parrish and cities keep these trails upkept and beautiful. I have the 31-mile path on my list of things to do. But I was somewhat injured when I visited.

I also learned in Mandeville you can rent bikes to do the biking. I did not see them at Covington, Slidell or Abita Springs, though.

• Hiking and Walking
    • Cycling

• msbrandysue's Profile Photo

UCM Museum

by msbrandysue Updated Jan 2, 2010

John Preble began his life's work at the UCM Museum, and has created one of the most eccentric works of 'art' and roadside kitche you may ever see. An artist, by choice or just by skill, he began turning junk and knick-knacks into comical, and amazing pieces of works. What may look like a trailor park at first, after giving it a harder look becomes quite entertaining.

So, once you park in front of the tiny store front, look-a-like, you walk into a small gift shop. The gift shop has practical joke toys and books, and mostly kid items. There's an old man sitting at the cash register, which most likely will be Mr. Preble, himself. I asked to see the museum and I paid my $3.00. He told me to go through the door right beside and I showed myself in the patio-area. I toured the interesting path by myself. Going inside the shacks with all the dummies and dolls was really freaky. I have always hated those things! When I came back inside, being the only person there, I was asked by the Mr. Preble if I saw the turtle. Well, there's sooooo mucchhhhhh there so I was like, "Oh...yea" but I must have had a funny look on my face because he got up and got his cane. He showed me right outside to the pond to the right and inside there's a giant turtle. He lifted him up a few times to get a good picture but I couldn't get one. Then, I said my goodbyes and told him I'd send people his way. He seemed like he needed the money.

• Motorcycle

• cynthi's Profile Photo

The Abita Brewery

by cynthi Written Oct 5, 2002

Learn how they make the beers. Like I said above, we had lots of fun on our EVEG not-quite-school-related trip. The tap room makes the trip all worth while for some visitors, but really, it is neat to see how they make the beer, from brewing to bottling. If you can't make it to Abita Springs, check out the website... www.abita.com

• BluecatCanoe's Profile Photo

UCM Museum, a must stop and...

by BluecatCanoe Written Oct 4, 2002

UCM Museum, a must stop and see place too beautiful to describe. Art, gifts, fun things, great people. I took some art classes there.

• BluecatCanoe's Profile Photo

Originally started as a micro...

by BluecatCanoe Written Oct 4, 2002

Originally started as a micro brewery the beer was so good it is worship far and wide now. Located in Abita Springs because of the great water found there. It also makes the best root beer anywhere.

• Abita Recreation Center

by ktaubin Written Aug 1, 2007

The ARC is a great place for your kids to participate in sports. Check out a website that provides information about this organization. www.abitasports.com

• Adventure Travel

Instant Answers: Abita Springs

Comments

Abita Springs Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Abita Springs things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Abita Springs sightseeing.

View all Abita Springs hotels