Baton Rouge Restaurants

the kingfish at hilton capitol center
    by doug48

Most Recent Restaurants in Baton Rouge

• der_geograf's Profile Photo

International Marketplace Buffet--Casino Rouge: Hungry? Go to "the boat!"

by der_geograf Updated Apr 4, 2011

It isn't uncommon to hear Baton Rougeans say "I'm goin' to the boat!"

"The boat" usually refers to Casino Rouge, the northernmost of the two riverboat casinos anchored along the Mississippi River bank. But they don't always go there to gamble their hard-earned dollars away, but to enjoy the biggest buffet in all the city.

The International Marketplace buffet is a definite "must-eat" in Baton Rouge. For the quality and quantity, it is reasonably priced (a little over US$10 per person for lunch, more for dinner). Of course there is usually Louisiana's trademark Cajun food and seafood and the normal Southern U.S. favorites, but also Chinese cuisine.

All you can eat, with an excellent view of the activity on the Mississippi River, the riverboat casino, and downtown Baton Rouge.

Favorite Dish: The baked drum and pecan pie are excellent!!!!

• Jmill42's Profile Photo

Juban's: For the More Upscale...

by Jmill42 Updated Apr 4, 2011

This is where me and my entire family had my graduation dinner. This follows after I had eaten there for my friends graduation dinner the semester before. Both times I was floored by the food. Absolutely amazing dishes. Be prepared to spend $25-35 on your food (with appetizers). Throw in wine and you could be looking at a heafty bill, but once again, if you can it is worth it!

Favorite Dish: The smoked chicken, duck , and andouille gumbo is the best "appetizer" I have ever had. I normally follow the credo of eating the type of food the restaurant is know for, i.e. eat fish in a seafood place. But, I tasted the steak at my friend's dinner, and when it came time to my celebration, I was salivating weeks prior to the meal with the thoughts of the New York Strip steak. It did not disappoint! The veal is also one of their great dishes. Itruely think you cannot go wrong ordering at this place.

Entrance

• Parrain's Seafood Restaurant: Hands Down, The Best Seafood Ever!

by SouthernMama7682 Written Jul 2, 2010

Parrain's is, by far, my favorite restaurant. The food is WONDERFUL. I've never left still hungry and never been dissatisfied with the service.

They offer "real southern style" seafood and in my opinion it's the best around.

The prices aren't too bad either.

Favorite Dish: My favorite is pretty simple . . . The Fried Shrimp Platter. I tend to stick to the same dish everytime I go but that is only because it's the best. They give a very generous amount of fried shrimp along with french fries, dirty rice and hushpuppies. You also get a salad with the meal.

Oh and I highly recommend their Tobasco Pepper Jelly Vinaigrette salad dressing. It is to die for. I have even came up with my own version of the dressing to make at home.

• Copeland's Cheesecake Bistro: I've never had a bad experience here . . .

by SouthernMama7682 Written Jul 2, 2010

Copeland's Cheesecake Bistro offers an upscale setting at resonable prices. I have only eaten there maybe a handful of times but I have never had a bad experience. The food was always great and the service wonderful.

Everything about this restaurant was great . . . the food, the cheesecakes and even the alcoholic beverages.

The prices are pretty reasonable. If you eat there at lunch you could get away with paying about $20 per person including one alcoholic beverage. Dinner, of course, is a little more but still worth it.

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish from Copeland's Cheesecake Bistro would have to be their BBQ Shrimp Linguine. It is jumbo shrimp sautéed with green onions, creole seasoning and lemon butter garlic sauce over linguine and placed in this sort of cheesy herb bread bowl.

• Sarita's Grill & Cantina: Want WONDERFUL Mexican Food????

by SouthernMama7682 Written Jul 2, 2010

My family and I have only eaten at Sarita's one time but we will definitely be returning in the very near future. Sarita's is located on the Diversion Canal off of Highway 22 on River Highlands Drive in St. Amant, LA which is approx. 25 miles from Baton Rouge.

It is very reasonably priced although we went on kids night, which is on Tuesdays from 4:30pm - 9:00pm, because of course our children got to eat free.

They have Happy Hour Specials as well as Live Music every Thursday night from 6:00pm - 9:00pm. If you enjoy great Mexican food. This is definitely the place to go.

Favorite Dish: The dish I had, the Chimichanga de Pollo, was awesome to say the least. It is a deep fried burrito stuffed with chicken and cheese and topped with white chille con queso and comes with beans and rice on the side. My family thoroughly enjoyed their dishes as well.

• riorich55's Profile Photo

Bravo: Good Italian Chain

by riorich55 Updated Nov 22, 2009

Although I am never one to go on the road and eat at a chain restaurant, there are a few exceptions to that rule. Bravo is an Italian Restaurant which has about 20 to 30 sites around the U.S. They are the sister restaurant to Brio which I tried for the first time several years ago in the suburbs of Cincinnati and which I also enjoyed. The meals are reasonably priced and the decor of both Bravo and Brio is very pleasant.

Favorite Dish: My main dish for the evening was the Scallops Risotto shown in the first picture. I forget now what sauce it came with, but I do remember that it was light enough, yet tasty and complimented the scallops just fine. Scallops are a hard meal to prepare. I can never seem to get them right when I cook them a home, but when I have them at most restaurants they seem to melt in my mouth, much like these did. The asparagus was cooked just right and with the addition of another of my favorites the red roasted pepper I completely finished my entire meal which only happens about half the time.

My pre-dinner drink was a great pomegrane mojito and I finished off the meal with a very delightful tasty sorbetto.

Scallops Risotto
    • Seniors

• celestialtones's Profile Photo

Brunet's Cajun Restaurant: Great Cajun Food, Fried and Otherwise!

by celestialtones Written May 29, 2009

First off, I must warn you as a result of my own recent personal experience. Make absolutely sure that you remove your valuables (purse, id, GPS navigator) from your vehicle and take them with you when you enter the restaurant. The "hood" across the canal is home to some hoodlums who like to break your car window to get to whatever's in your vehicle. There are no security cameras in the parking lot of this restaurant.

Now, on to more positive stuff. What else can I say about this restaurant? The service is great, the atmosphere is relaxed, the food is outstanding, the helpings are overwhelmingly generous! If you are a fried seafood fan, this is the place for you. Although, there are some healthy options on the menu as well.

Your waiter will start off with your drinks, followed by a bowl of hot hush puppies (fried bread). Then she/he will take your dinner order. One of my FAVORITE appetizers is the Little Stuffed Bread. It looks like a dinner roll stuffed with a filling of crawfish or shrimp and then deep fried. Absolutely to die for!!!

If you want a simple meal without all the calories, just ask for the Little Stuffed Bread with a salad and a bowl of gumbo and you're set!

Favorite Dish: I absolutely LOVE the shrimp dinner. It comes with a shrimp salad, bowl of gumbo, shrimp etoufee, fried shrimp, boiled shrimp, shrimp au gratin, 1 stuffed shrimp, and another bowl of shrimpy something but the name escapes me right now. Be sure to ask for a to go box when your meal is served because there is no way you're gonna clean your plate in one sitting.

• doug48's Profile Photo

schlittz & giggles: pizza

by doug48 Written May 20, 2009

schlittz & giggles is a very good pizza parlor located on 3 rd street in downtown baton rouge. their motto is a "silly name but serious pizza". i agree, the pizza is quite good. a great place to get a quick lunch in downtown.

schlittz & giggles

• doug48's Profile Photo

the kingfish: steak & seafood

by doug48 Written May 20, 2009

the kingfish restaurant is located in the hilton capitol center hotel in downtown baton rouge. the restaurant is named after the nickname of governor huey p. long. this excellent restaurant offers prime steak and local louisiana cuisine. in my opinion one of the better restaurants in downtown baton rouge.

the kingfish at hilton capitol center

• riorich55's Profile Photo

Po-Boy Express: Love That Shrimp Po-Boy

by riorich55 Written Mar 18, 2008

There are 3 Po-Boy Express locations in Baton Rouge. The one we went to for lunch on a business trip was off Airline Hwy. There are probably about 15 tables and it is like sitting in your kitchen. Being from Chicago we really don't get genuine po-boys even at our New Orleans style restaurants. The restaurant serves a variety of po-boys, hamburgers and the south's mafalatta sandwich.

Favorite Dish: I always enjoy a good Shrimp Po-Boy sandwich. The New Orleans/Baton Rouge area is great for fresh shrimp (at least I hope it's still from the area). The sandwich along with fries will definately last you until supper.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Cafeteria: State Capital Basement

by grandmaR Written Feb 17, 2008

Bob suggested that since it was 1145, that it was lunchtime. So we went down and ate in the cafeteria in the basement. This place is only open for breakfast and lunch. We were served by more Dixie Correctional Facility people.

This place has been described as "the best breakfast and lunch that government money can subsidize"

Favorite Dish: We shared a large sandwich. Generally food will cost between $4 and $7

Cafeteria Sign at the door

• allenk_007's Profile Photo

Parrain's Seafood Restaurant: Excellent Cajun Seafood and more!

by allenk_007 Written Jan 8, 2008

I have eaten here several times, both lunch and dinner and always enjoy it immensely.

There are various seating areas in this busy restaurant, including an outdoor area (weather permitting) some are quieter than others. The bar area is quite active around happy hour, also at lunch time.

The menu is wide and varied, and includes daily lunch specials which can be viewed on their website.

Come hungry, you won't leave that way!

Favorite Dish: Appetizers: Blackened Alligator, Fried Alligator, Hush Puppies, Boudin Balls

House salad with the "Tabasco Pepper Jelly Vinaigrette" dressing!!!

Entrees: 1/2 Crawfish Etouffée and 1/2 Fried Tails; Shrimp, Crawfish & Crabmeat Pasta; Black & Bleu Tuna; 14-oz Bone-In Pork Chop

Note, I do not usually order a 'pork chop' in a restaurant but this one was highly recommended. I see why... it was a big, thick, juicy pork chop, perhaps the best I have ever had.

• allenk_007's Profile Photo

Juban's: Upscale in Baton Rouge

by allenk_007 Updated Jan 8, 2008

Juban's is an upscale Creole-based restaurant with all the courses available, each course with its own pricetag so you can try something from each, or pick what you like. The place seems to be a local favorite in the fine dining genre and although everything I ate was indeed quite good, I am not all that inclined to return, not for anything they did wrong, I just didn't think it was "all that".

The ambience, I thought was quite noisy for a restaurant of this caliber and the location is tucked back in a strip mall, not that there is anything wrong with that, but it took me a couple trips up the street to find it.

The prices reflect the upscale nature of the restaurant, not a problem for those wanting to experience fine dining, but probably a shock to the average Joe who might happen in. Without wine, it is easy to spend $50 - 60 per person, even if they do not opt for all the courses.

Favorite Dish: The Smoked Chicken, Duck and Andouille Gumbo appetizer was delicious.

The filet mignon was delicious also and as tender as warm butter, but was the smallest filet I have ever had.

The chocolate pate for dessert was quite good.

Others clearly enjoyed the venison/wild boar combo, the Dakota bison, the veal and the quail. There were several popular seafood dishes as well.

• Wine Tasting
    • Luxury Travel

• DJMist's Profile Photo

Zeeland Street Market: Breakfast and Lunch

by DJMist Written Jul 16, 2007

Fresh local favorites. Great chicken and sausage gumbo, fresh salads, and sandwiches. The specialty seems to be seafood with several fresh fish selections. They also serve home cooked meals for lunch like meatloaf and mashed potatoes. Diner type atmosphere with more upscale cuisine. Haven't tried breakfast. They do not serve dinner.

Favorite Dish: Pot roast and new potatoes.

Zeeland Street Market

• DJMist's Profile Photo

Chelsea's Cafe: Music, food, and brew

by DJMist Written Jul 16, 2007

This hip little place is not far from LSU's campus. The location is a bit tricky. Perkins Road passes over nearby streets and Chelsea's is tucked under the overpass. The sign is visible from the road though and the entrance is landscaped with tropical plants and a crepe myrtle hangs over an outdoor patio. Inside is a great looking bar and a large dining room. The menu is varied and interesting. They have unique manager's specials which is what I had on my visit. Prices are very reasonable. They have a full bar whith several beers on tap including the local Abita brew. Chelsea's also has live music Thursday - Saturday which includes some great musical names. John Scofield has played here. The cafe also hosts works by local artists and I think has an art show. Check out the website for schedule of events.

Favorite Dish: I had a grilled duck salad with blue cheese crumbles over fresh spinach served with a sesame plum vinagrette. It was fantastic. I also had an Abita Amber. Cost $15 including my tip.

Chelsea's Entrance to Chelsea's

Instant Answers: Baton Rouge

Comments

Baton Rouge Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Baton Rouge restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Baton Rouge sightseeing.