Cameron Travel Guide

Cameron Transportation

• mafootje's Profile Photo
    Ferry Across Calcasieu River

by mafootje Updated Jun 24, 2003

Well if you look at the map of the Creole Nature trail on http://www.creolenaturetrail.org/maps/images/creolemap.jpg you'll see that you have to cross the Calcasieu River. Unfortunalty there is no bridge across but this ferry runs 24/7. This ferry is the connection between the LA 27 & 82 and we had to wait about 10 to 15 minutes before the ferry was there to take us accros.

It seem to have a fee of $1,00 but the trip we took no one asked anyone for money, but to be on the safe side take a dollar with you when you get on the trail, else you could end up driving back the same way as you came. To get on the other side without the ferry you'll have to take a 120 mile detour...

Capacity of the ferry is about 50 cars.

Picture taken June 1, 2003 15:10

• National/State Park
    • Beaches
    • Fishing

Instant Answers: Cameron

• Nevada_Dan's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2013 at 9:12 AM

The ferry only charges the $1 fee only in one direction (I think it's westbound). It's a fun cheap ride, if you are not in a hurry. I rode the ferry a few weeks back and was the front car. I did have to wait about 30 minutes as I got there as the barrier dropped and the second ferry was down for repairs. I got to watch several dolphins in the river as we made the crossing. The coast of Louisiana is very beautiful.

Cameron Travel Guide