pictured is general andrew jaclson's cannon line at the battle of new orleans. these cannons were located behind a earthen wall constructed near the rodriguez canal in preparation for the attack of the forces of sir alexander cochrane. this cannon line stopped the british assult and led to the amerian victory in the battle of new orleans.
The battlefield is currently closed due to damage from Hurricane Katrina. It is expected to reopen in fall 2006.
There was a very good ranger talk twice a day at 11:15 a.m. and 2:45 p.m.
You can not at present come on the Creole Queen from New Orleans. You board at 1:30 and it will get you to the Battlefield in time for the 2:45 talk.
NEWS from the Park
Date: July 28, 2006
The two halves of a 56-foot-long temporary building have rolled into Chalmette Battlefield just downriver from New Orleans, marking the next step toward recovery from Hurricane Katrina.
“The building is basically the size of a doublewide trailer,” said Aly Baltrus, supervisory park ranger for Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve, which manages the south Louisiana site commemorating the Battle of New Orleans. “It will serve as a temporary visitor contact station with exhibits and a book sales area and provide interpretive and maintenance offices.”
“The set-up crew for the temporary building is scheduled for next week,” said Brian Strack, park facility manager. “They’ll put the two halves together and get it ready for power and water, which we hope to have by summer so we can open the battlefield to the public.”
Hurricane Katrina destroyed the visitor center in August 2005. The building was razed and this interim visitor center, purchased with emergency hurricane funding, will sit on the same site.
In the adjacent national cemetery, historic buildings housing maintenance and interpretive offices were flooded and await repairs, and the cemetery suffered severe damage. Chalmette Monument, located next to the visitor center, was being cleaned and re-pointed when Hurricane Katrina interrupted the job. Scaffolding around the monument was recently re-erected and work on the monument will be finished in May. Chalmette Battlefield and Chalmette National Cemetery are both currently closed due to damage from Hurricane Katrina.
pictuctured is the chalmette battlefield looking east from jackson's cannon line. sir alexander cochrane ordered british general edward pakenham and commodore daniel patterson to attack the american positions from this location. the british fired rocket and howitzers at the american postions but the american line held. pakenham and patterson charged the american line with little success. pakenham was killed in the battle and the british suffered 2,042 casualties compared to the american casualties of 71. the battle of chalmette was the most decisive american victory in the war of 1812.
located on the grounds of the chalmette battlefield is the chalmette national cemetery. of the over 15,000 amercan veterans interned here there only four from the battle of new orleans. the chalmette national cemetery was established in 1864 for union civil war dead that were killed in the new orleans area. for those interested in civil war history this is a interesting part of the battlefield.
the malus-beaugard house was built on the site of the chalmette plantation in 1833. the widow malus moved in the house in 1833 and later judge rene beaugard moved into the house in 1880. this house served for decades as a summer retreat for wealthy residents of new orleans. today the malus-beaugard house is the temporary home to the chalmette battlefield visitor center. at the visitor center you can get information about the battlefield and they offer a very good movie about the battle of new orleans.
pictured is all that remains of the rodreguez canal. the rodriquez canal separated the chalmette and mccarty plantations at the site of the battle of new orleans. general andrew jackson's troops used this canal as a defensive barrier and next to the canal built a earthen defensive wall. these two obstacles halted the british attack and led to the american victory in the battle of new orleans.
This sign says:
"This depression is the trace of an early mill race that divided the Chalmette and Macarty plantations. By the time of the Battle of New Orleans, it was no longer in use and its banks had fallen in. Jackson's men build their mud rampart behind the canal. Partly filled with water, it added to the strength of the American Line. This is the only man-made feature dating back to the battle of January 8, 1815."
Eighteen years after the Battle of New Orleans, this house was built as a country residence. It was never associated with a plantation. It bears the name of the last private owner, Judge René Beauregard.
I did not go in this house, but I understand it is empty (not furnished) except for a gift shop.