pictured is general andrew jaclson's cannon line at the battle of new orleans. these cannons were located behind a earthen wall constructed near the rodriguez canal in preparation for the attack of the forces of sir alexander cochrane. this cannon line stopped the british assult and led to the amerian victory in the battle of new orleans.more
The battlefield is currently closed due to damage from Hurricane Katrina. It is expected to reopen in fall 2006. There was a very good ranger talk twice a day at 11:15 a.m. and 2:45 p.m.You can not at present come on the Creole Queen from New Orleans. You board at 1:30 and it will get you to the Battlefield in time for the 2:45 talk.NEWS from the...more
pictuctured is the chalmette battlefield looking east from jackson's cannon line. sir alexander cochrane ordered british general edward pakenham and commodore daniel patterson to attack the american positions from this location. the british fired rocket and howitzers at the american postions but the american line held. pakenham and patterson...more
located on the grounds of the chalmette battlefield is the chalmette national cemetery. of the over 15,000 amercan veterans interned here there only four from the battle of new orleans. the chalmette national cemetery was established in 1864 for union civil war dead that were killed in the new orleans area. for those interested in civil war history...more
the malus-beaugard house was built on the site of the chalmette plantation in 1833. the widow malus moved in the house in 1833 and later judge rene beaugard moved into the house in 1880. this house served for decades as a summer retreat for wealthy residents of new orleans. today the malus-beaugard house is the temporary home to the chalmette...more
pictured is all that remains of the rodreguez canal. the rodriquez canal separated the chalmette and mccarty plantations at the site of the battle of new orleans. general andrew jackson's troops used this canal as a defensive barrier and next to the canal built a earthen defensive wall. these two obstacles halted the british attack and led to the...more
5353 Paris Rd., Chalmette, Louisiana, 70043, United States
Good for: Couples
the creole queen river boat makes daily trips from downtown new orleans to the chalmette battlefield. the river boat cruise is a nice way to get to the battlefield. because the cruise only spends a short time at the park serious students of the battle are better off visiting the battlefield by car.
The Malus-Beauregard House (c.1833) was built after the battle, so it isn't part of the story. But there is a gift shop there, as there normally is at all NPS sites. I didn't go in because we didn't have time. There are plans to furnish the house and make more of it.
Currently there are no boat trips to the National Park because it has not been re-opened after Hurricane Katrina. It is expected to open again in the fall of 2006. It is unknown when or whether boat trips will resume.We left the dock at 2 p.m. and got to the park at about 2:30 - earlier than usual because we were going with the tide. After the...more
The following things are prohibited by the Park ServicePossession and/or use of metal detectors is strictly prohibited by Federal LawThe Batture is clsed to all public use - no fishing / no swimmingDo not climb on the Cannons.In order to respect the Park's Historic significance: Ball Playing, Golfing, Kite Flying, Sunbathing, and other similar...more
10 Reviews and Opinions
On January 8, 1815, the guns positioned here fired at British counter batteries located almost 1/2 mile from here. During the battle, these guns caused heavy casualties as the British advanced along the levee road.The troops attacking to the right of this position numbered about 1200 men commanded by Colonel Robert Rennie of the 93rd Regiment. To...more
Favorite thing: The cornerstone of this shaft honoring the American victory at New Orleans was laid in January 1840, within days after Andrew Jackson visited the field on the 25th anniversary of the battle. Not until 1855, however, did the State of Louisiana begin actual construction. The monument was completed in 1908, a year after it was ceded to the United States.