Gonzales Nightlife

Most Recent Nightlife in Gonzales

• WFTR's Profile Photo

Sugar's: Sugar's

by WFTR Written Oct 4, 2002

Sugar's is a bar located in the Holiday Inn next to Mike Anderson's Seafood restaurant. I rarely go to bars, so I don't know how it compares to others. If one orders food, it comes from Mike Anderson's, so it is good.
    Originally, the next sentence in the previous paragraph said: 'Otherwise, it's usually just like a dark room off the restaurant.' However, I recently received a note from ATLC telling me that in the Netherlands, a 'dark room' refers to a back room in gay bars where the homosexuals go to engage in sex acts. We both got a good laugh from this cultural confusion.

However, to avoid confusion and to keep the homosexuals from descending on Gonzales, I'll restate the issue more clearly. Sugar's is separated from Mike Anderson's by a wall in which there are two big fish tanks. From Mike's, Sugar's is just a dark background behind the fish tanks. From Sugar's, one can see into Mike's easily and therefore it almost feels as if one is in the restaurant. The difference is that Sugar's is dark, has a bar, and has a couple of TV's that are sometimes showing sports.

One exception is Wednesday evening from 7:30 to 9:30. During this time, Sugar's hosts a lingerie show. Typically, three young ladies come from a lingerie show company in New Orleans. Over the course of the two hours, they circulate around the bar and talk to anyone who wants to talk. Each of them will usually make two changes during this time. Sometimes, they'll announce the changes and describe the new clothes, but otherwise there is no center of attention to the proceedings. There is no cover charge, and nominally, they are there to make money by selling lingerie or swimsuits to the bar patrons. In truth, the primary money-making exercise of the evening is a raffle with prizes of free lingerie, a free drink, or five dollars worth of free tickets for the next week's show.

I went to one of these shows a few months ago not expecting to enjoy it. I had only been to one similar event, and that was a homemade swimsuit contest in Louisiville, Kentucky. I liked looking at the young ladies as much as anyone, but I was watching them while standing in a crowd of drunken guys. The whole event was not much fun, and I've avoided things that I believed would be similar. As it turned out, I enjoyed the lingerie show. It wasn't loud or obnoxious. I've only been a few times, but it's never been too crowded when I was there. The young ladies are fun to talk to.

Dress Code: Obviously, the models wear their understuff. Most of the folks who come wear the blue jeans and T-shirts of workers in the neighboring chemical plants or the slacks and shirts of businessmen staying at the Holiday Inn.

• WFTR's Profile Photo

Junction 44: Junction 44

by WFTR Written Oct 4, 2002

I've never been inside Junction 44, but they have a wooden building with a rebel flag on the porch. I know of at least one lingerie show that they've held on a Thursday night. I don't know whether that's a normal Thursday night thing for them. It's probably an okay place, but it probably caters to the good ol' boy set.

Instant Answers: Gonzales

Comments

Gonzales Nightlife

Reviews and photos of Gonzales nightlife posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Gonzales sightseeing.