Gonzales Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Gonzales

Wendy's, Berthelot's: Late night eating

by WFTR Written Apr 20, 2003

As the new advertising says, Wendy's is open late. We have a Wendy's at Hwy 30 and I-10. It is just outside the Tanger Mall. It's a Wendy's, and I figure most travelers don't need any more description than that.

Berthelot's is a 24 hour truck stop in Saint Gabriel and is on Hwy 30 just 9 miles from I-10. I describe Berthelot's in more detail on my Saint Gabriel page, but the short version is that it is a pretty nice little truck stop restaurant with great bread pudding.

If you are in Gonzales late at night and feel hungry but neither of these places strikes your fancy, then you are stuck going to the 24-hour Wal-Mart and buying groceries.

The Jambalaya Shoppe: True local flavor

by WFTR Written Jan 11, 2003

Another great place to get true local food is The Jambalaya Shoppe. The Jambalaya Shoppe is located on Hwy 61 just south of the Hwy 44 intersection. They serve primarily jambalaya, and the biggest decision is usually how much to get. I usually just get the size that feeds two and comes with a roll. It costs about $7. The roll is okay but no better than what you buy at the store and heat up. I don't come close to finishing this much food, but jambalaya heats easily in the microwave. I think the single-serving size comes with vegetables and costs $5. For those who don't know, jambalaya is rice with chunks of chicken or pork and sausage. It is fairly spicy for me, but most people would consider it mild. Gonzales bills itself as the "Jambalaya Capitol of the World."

An important point is that The Jambalaya Shoppe is primarily a lunch restaurant. Much of their business comes from taking food to the local petrochemical plants and selling to the folks who work there. They probably make more jambalaya in the afternoon, but they sometimes run out. If you are planning to have some jambalaya, I'd recommend going late in the afternoon or very early in the evening.

They don't have any dining facilities at the location. There might be a picnic table nearby, but mostly they serve only at a window. People buy their jambalaya and drive away. Don't go there expecting to eat there.

...: More in Gonzales

by WFTR Written Jan 11, 2003

DeAngelo's Pizzeria is at exit 173 off I-10 directly behind the Burger King. DeAngelo's is a chain with about seven or eight restaurants located in the Baton Rouge area. I don't know whether they are statewide, national, or just local. DeAngelo's is a good little Italian restaurant serving primarily pizza pies and calzones. They also serve wines and have a little bar. The place has good food, a good atmosphere, and the popularity that comes from these traits. They make a pizza with whole wheat dough, and I love whole wheat pizzas. Technically, they call this location their "Prairieville" location, but it is very convenient to Gonzales.

Gonzales has a couple of Chinese restaurants. I've tried two and can only recommend one. It is the Golden Buddha on Hwy 30 near the Hwy 44 intersection. They have the usual buffet stuff. It's pretty good Chinese buffet, and I don't hesitate to go there when the mood strikes me. I've probably had better but, I've also had much worse in Gonzales. They have a full sit-down menu as well. The place is not fancy by any means, but it is clean and nice. I've talked to other people who agree that Golden Buddha is the best of the Chinese places in Gonzales.

• WFTR's Profile Photo

My favorite restaurant in...

by WFTR Updated Jan 11, 2003

My favorite restaurant in Gonzales is Mike Anderson's, and I've already mentioned it on this page and given a long description on my Louisiana page. I'll take a few minutes to describe some of the other eating fare in Gonzales.

Sno's Seafood Restaurant is considered the other nice restaurant in Gonzales. It's on Hwy 61 as one leaves Gonzales going towards Baton Rouge. Sno's has a bar that attracts a pretty good crowd at night, so the parking lot is often full. It's similar in price and food quality to Mike Anderson's, but I rate it a little lower. I'm sure that some would disagree.

For local 'flavor,' another good restaurant is Dalton's. Dalton's is located on Burnside Avenue which is Hwy 44 in Gonzales. The restaurant serves a country-style buffet for lunch and dinner. The big draws of this restaurant are the fried catfish and the bread pudding.

Many of the chain restaurants in Gonzales are along Hwy 61. We have a Western Sizzlin' that is pretty good but probably no different from most others in this chain. We have a Piccadilly that I've never tried. We have several bar/restaurant type places. Other names escape me at the moment, but I'll try to remember to add them later.

Gonzales also has the full complement of fast food places. Most of these are clustered around Exit 177 off I-10. A few are on Hwy 61.

Gonzales also has a Cracker Barrel at the Outlet Mall just west of I-10 at Exit 177.

Mike Anderson's Seafood...

by WFTR Written Oct 4, 2002

Mike Anderson's Seafood Restaurant

www.mikeandersons.com
    I describe Mike's on my main Louisiana page. There are four of these restaurants in the state, and one is in Gonzales.

• My favorite resturaunt would...

by kristi-f. Written Oct 4, 2002

My favorite resturaunt would be picadilly. They also have a Shoneys and Marchands and Western Sizzilin etc...

Favorite Dish: I personally like their chopped beef. Shoneys has all kinds of different food types, Marchands is mainly seafood, and Westen Sizzlin is z steke house.

Instant Answers: Gonzales

Comments

Gonzales Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Gonzales restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Gonzales sightseeing.