Holly Beach Travel Guide

by Basaic
    by Basaic
  • Holly beach no blue sea but nice and warm.
    Holly beach no blue sea but nice and...
    by mafootje

Holly Beach Things to Do

• Basaic's Profile Photo

by Basaic Written Mar 6, 2015

Holly Beach is a small unincorporated town along Louisiana Highways 27 and 83 in Cameron Parish in Southwestern Louisiana on the Gulf of Mexico. Getting an estimate of the population here is difficult. The town has been flooded by hurricanes 4 or 5 times since the 1950s and each time the town rebuilds. There is no sewage system here so to live here you must sign a waiver. The town has a number of rental cabins available that are frequently painted in bright garish colors. The homes are all built on stilts to protect against storm surge from the gulf. Holly Beach is sometimes referred to as the "Cajun Riviera" and was the subject of a song "Under the Boardwalk" by Kenny Thibodeaux and the Jokers, which is a parody of the popular song "Under the Boardwalk" by the Drifters.

• Eco-Tourism
    • Photography

Holly Beach Favorites

• Great Beach

by dasbaby Written Jan 31, 2006

Favorite thing: I was raised in Holly Beach, so I consider it my home. It was destroyed by the Hurricane, so there is nothing left of it now, but I know that we will come back and once again become the partying capital in Louisiana. We are slowly cleaning it will take a while but we will get it together. Prayers and thoughts to all who lost everything.

Fondest memory: My favorite time in Holly Beach is when i was 9, and I just remember being on the beach all day and played under all the camps. I ate until i thought i was going to pop. Holly Beach is just a great Cajun Hangout and i miss it already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Beaches
    • Adventure Travel

• mafootje's Profile Photo

Drive on to the beach

by mafootje Written Jun 23, 2003

Favorite thing: Your allowed to drive onto the beach with your car and park it over there. So if you don't like walking a long way or paying parking fees just drive on to the beach and park your car.

Fondest memory: Because we could park the car on the beach we had cool water in reach from our cooler in the back of the car and didn't have to carry it with us to the beach, just great for lazy dutch people.

What also was a nice thing is that we didn't get stuck in the sand when driving on and of the beach. Some did get stuck but other beach guest helped them by pushing them out.

Picture taken June 1, 2003 14:16

Feb 28, 2013 at 5:48 AM

Holly Beach, and the surrounding area, 2013

• Nevada_Dan's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2013 at 5:46 AM

Holly Beach is looking up. The old shacks are gone, washed away by hurricanes Rita and Ike. In there place are some very fine homes on stilts. Like others said, you can drive right up to (and on) the beach. The road along the coast is very close to the water, which looked clean and clear on the day I was there. There were no gas stations or stores nearby. You should always travel with an ice chest and your own refreshments (like the locals do) when in Louisiana. The drive along the Louisiana coast is always beautiful. I have a "camp" in the area. I take this loop whenever possible. Holly Beach is along the Creole Nature Trail, an All American Road They have their own web site at: http://www.creolenaturetrail.org/ It is a little known, beautiful and mysterious land.

Holly Beach Travel Guide