Lake Charles Restaurants

• Basaic's Profile Photo

Steamboat Bill's: Best Seafood in the Area

by Basaic Written Feb 11, 2014

Steamboat Bill's

$15 as of January 2014. This is a fairly small place with a big sign. One of two Steamboat Bill's in Lake Charles. The decor inside is fairly basic looking. However, this place has been voted the #1 seafood place in Southwest Louisiana in a Reader's Choice poll, and also one of "Ten Great Places to Eat in the USA" by USA Today. The menu is Cajun/Creole flavored seafood including crawfish, crabs, great gumbo, and etouffee. Hours are 10:30 AM to 9 PM Sunday through Thursday and 10:30 AM to 10 PM Friday and Saturday.

Favorite Dish: I had a cup of Gumbo and Shrimp Etouffee which was great and plentiful. I also had some "Boudin Balls".

• Beer Tasting

• caminoreal's Profile Photo

Steamboat Bills: Fried! Fried! Fried!

by caminoreal Written Oct 16, 2013

Even though they claim to use "heart-healthy" peanut oil for frying, pretty much everything on the menu at Steamboat Bills is fried.
    That's not a complaint, 'cause the food is WONDERFUL!
    Every time I leave Lake Charles I think, "I wonder how long it will be before I can eat at Steamboat Bill's again?"
    It's right on the Interstate-10 Service Road at Mile 30, north side of the highway.

Favorite Dish: The seafood platter is great, but I really love the fried oysters!

• Bunsch's Profile Photo

La Truffe Sauvage: Outstanding cross-cultural dining

by Bunsch Written May 22, 2011

Welcome to La Truffe!

My AAA guide suggested a restaurant called La Truffe Sauvage just off the interstate in Lake Charles. This turned out to be inspired guidance, because I had a fabulous meal. I did feel a little weird in a fine restaurant all by myself -- linen tablecloths, a pianist and violinist providing pleasant background music, and what looked like really good wine (I didn't have any, since I wasn't sure how far I'd continue driving) -- but it was relaxing and no one treated me like a pariah.

AAA claims that "the often-changing menu incorporates a distinctive blend of French, Italian, southwestern Louisiana and Mediterranean cuisine," and that was accurate.

Open 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM and 6:00 PM to 10:00 PM, Tuesday-Saturday.

Favorite Dish: If you ever go, be sure to try their Crab Marie Louise!

• Ken_Weaver's Profile Photo

Steamboat Bill's: Great Cajun Seafood

by Ken_Weaver Written Oct 15, 2005

The restaurant was very unimpressive from the outside and when I got inside I was even more unimpressed with the decor....lots of red and white, tacky fences between sections of the dining room. However, looks can be deceiving. You walk up to the cashier and order, while cooks work behind the cashiers. My friend and I ordered and beers were brought to the table while we waited for the food.

Favorite Dish: I had the deepfried seafood platter and the meal was excellent. It included a stuffed crab shell, lots of deepfried fish and shrimp. The breading was tender and flavorful as was the fish inside. I also ordered a shrimp pistole...kinda of a bread stuffed with shrimp etouffee and deepfried...really good!

Instant Answers: Lake Charles

Comments

Lake Charles Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Lake Charles restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Lake Charles sightseeing.