Monroe Favorites

Most Recent Favorites in Monroe

• parks

by leemcadam Written Dec 29, 2005

Favorite thing: my favorite things about monroe is the mall and the parks and seeing the pink house i love the pink house when i go to monore i look at the pink house

Fondest memory: when i ilve away from louisiana i miss the pink house and st francis hospital

Dinner @ Cypress Inn

by vigi Updated May 17, 2004

Fondest memory: Here come highlight of the day... DINNER TIME... when I suck the head & dig the tail of CRAWFISH!!! (^0^) This is the first Whole-Boiled Carwfish I had in Louisiana, and it's Spring... crawfish season! And most memorable, this is my last meal in Monroe, after that, I'll before leaving back home! I miss you guys, and miss the crawfish & Louisiana Spicies too!

Poverty Point (Con't)

by vigi Written May 17, 2004

Fondest memory: After a movie in the museum, we took a bus to tour around the site, it was hot, and since we could not step down the from the bus, we actually cannot see anything except listening to "fairytales" of history. Then we took a short hike (not even a hike, just a 15 mins walk actually...) up the hill which they called "pyramids" built by Egyptian slaves in the 8th centuries. They dragged huge stones (well... I couldn't see any stones... seriously...) across the desert to build the Great Pyramids, and before the great Mayan pyramids were constructed. The place was a site in what is now northeastern Louisiana. The people were a highly civilized group who left behind one of the most important archaeological sites in North America.

Poverty Point State Historic Site

by vigi Updated May 17, 2004

Fondest memory: This is supposed a rich culture flourished 12 centuries before Christ. Unfortunately, I am not really into history, and besides a hugh site of grassland and small hills without shelter, I saw nothing here, except the museum and movie shown inside the museum.

Lunch @ Waterfront Grill

by vigi Written May 15, 2004

Fondest memory: Another great restaurant in Louisiana, can't wait!!! How come the food in North Louisiana so good?!!! Overlooking the beautiful Bayou DeSiard, plus wonderful food, what else can I ask for? Give you an "A++++++"

Children's Museum

by vigi Written May 15, 2004

Fondest memory: Next stop: Children's Museum! It was pretty interesting here. And I felt much younger playing with the kids. They are very friendly with visitors, like a tour guide, introducing me with every exhibit they have in the museum, and posting in front of my camera! And guess what? They have a life baby porcupine here!

Touring Around the Zoo

by vigi Written May 15, 2004

Fondest memory: It was great experience touring around the zoo, by boat & by foot. I always love visiting zoo in different places, they always have different cute animals to look at. And I was suprised to meet the zoo's manager, who have been teaching a MBA course in Hong Kong for 2 years. And he's very happy feeding animals in this small town Monroe. A real proof that money & status not neccessary equal to happiness!!!

Miss Louisiana Beauty Pageant

by vigi Written May 15, 2004

Fondest memory: Our next stop is Louisiana Purchase Zoo. Guys in our group were excited, no, not because of the zoo animals, but because Miss Louisiana Beauty Pageant were having their shootings in the zoo!!! (^0^) I wish they'd have "Louisiana Man Hunt" and I'd be more happy!!!

Aviation Historical Museum

by vigi Written May 15, 2004

Fondest memory: The next morning, Apr17, we went to this World War II Aviation Heritage Museum. I was very pleased with the exibits and displays, and the stories behind those collection exhibits. This museum is a real work of love. Most of the material in the museum has been donated, and it is almost entirely staffed by volunteers. Many of these volunteers are veterans of World War II, and their stories alone are worth a visit to the museum.

Dinner Time

by vigi Updated May 14, 2004

Fondest memory: It's dinner time! Finally... after a long day. This is a famous restaurant: Warehouse No. 1. It really looks like a warehouse from outside, but when you walk in, God, it was fully packed with people, nice environment with piano playing, and most of all, good food! Look at my restaurant tips for more info about this place.

Lake D'Arbonne State Park

by vigi Written May 14, 2004

Fondest memory: Arriving Monroe Apr16 afternoon. A bit tiring and sleepy after long drive (I didn't drive though, but still tired!!). Our first stop was West Monroe-Lake D-Arbonne State Park. This place is very neat and refreshing. Lovely Cypress trees (first time I saw tree growing from the water!! lol) They provide acoomodation as well, at attractive low price, with nice cabin and decent camping site, heated pool & fitness room, great!

Long Limo

by vigi Written May 17, 2004

Fondest memory: First time I saw a big/long Limo like this!!! And it was so nice that Dana made it happened that I was able to take this photo!!!

Black Bayou Lake National Wildlife Refuge

by vigi Written May 17, 2004

Fondest memory: This is truly a paradise. A easy trek around the wetlands, beautiful cypress-studded lake... Very relaxing and romantic. I wish I was here with my "other half" that will be perfect!

Mississippi Train

by vigi Written May 17, 2004

Fondest memory: On the way to Black Bayou Lake, we saw this Mississippi Train on the road. What a pity this is only for cargos, nobody ride on train in the States... too slow.

Instant Answers: Monroe

Comments

Monroe Favorites

Reviews and photos of Monroe favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Monroe sightseeing.