Natchitoches Favorites

Most Recent Favorites in Natchitoches

Red River Museum

by vigi Updated May 14, 2004

Fondest memory: After much crazy shopping, we drove to the Grand Ecore Visitor's Center & Red River Museum. Well... scenery was nice, but not too fantastic, and the museum... the staff was trying hard to explain work they've done to protech the red river, blablabla... but seriously, I didn't understand. And I could have read from internet even if I didn't visit this place, so, why wasting time lecturing?!!! And it was hot, the sun shine direct on my head while there's no shelter outside the Visitor Center. Why am I here?!!!

Anyway... we'll be heading to Monroe after here. This is the last stop in Natchitoches.

Romantic Cast Iron Grillwork

by vigi Updated May 14, 2004

Fondest memory: The reconstructed Ft. St.Jean Baptiste symbolizes colonial days in Natchitoches, while the mercantile buildings and houses with the cast iron grillwork galleries overlooking Cane River Lake are reminiscent of the days of the Cotton Kingdom and Natchitoches' old river port. This staircase, hided behind a shop house, was shipped from France at 1850.

Shopping: Historic Old Town

by vigi Updated May 14, 2004

Fondest memory: Highlight of this trip: Shopping!!! After few days of whirldwind trip, finally, I got some relaxing moment to wonder around this lovely old town! The Historic District of Natchitoches, which includes more than fifty centuries-old buildings, and many antique shops. Really a pleasant place to shop around. But instead of something antique, I bought a chic dress for USD30, what a bargain!!! (^0^)

Oakland Plantation

by vigi Updated May 14, 2004

Fondest memory: Apr16 morning, we arrived at Oakland Plantation after breakfast. A real neat & beautiful historical site. The founder was French descent. Many of the plantation’s outbuildings also date to the first half of the nineteenth century, the main house completed in 1821. Here I learnt that Creole not only can means food, it means everything from homes to culture.

Alligator Park (Con't)

by vigi Updated May 14, 2004

Fondest memory: There're many big chubby Alligators in the park, but most of them not moving. Besides alligators, there're many other different animals in the park, goats, peacocks, parrots, etc. The amazing thing is that all these animals are kept by the owner here, no government support. And this owner he really spent time and effort taking care of his "babies".

Alligator Park

by vigi Updated May 14, 2004

Fondest memory: Next stop: Alligator Park. I was very excited because I have never see Alligator before, and was wondering what's the difference between Alligator and Crocodile. We only have Crocodile in Asian, you know. And I did not find any Alligator while paddling up the Bayou in Shreveport, so, this is my first time meet these dudes.

Yummy Yummy Dirty Rice

by vigi Updated May 13, 2004

Fondest memory: We arrived at Lasyone's Meat Pies Kitchen at 12:30 noon, it was unbelievably packed, all tables were occupied with no seat left. You can imagine how good their business is! This is how amazing these people in this small town still running the family business generation to generation, instead of opening up franchise to other big cities. Customers range from all age range, from kids, young executive, to white hair old man. You really feel warm eating here, very much different from a big city. They even have annual Meat Pie Festival every year September, you can eat till you drop!!!

Lunch @ Lasyone's Meat Pie Kitchen

by vigi Written May 13, 2004

Fondest memory: Wow! This is probably the best meat pie in town. And I found the "Dirty Rice" tast much more better than the meat pie. I couldn't stop finish the whole plate of rice, it was SO GOOD!!! According to the owner's daughter, the 3rd generation running this little family restaurant, Lasyone's actually sold 16,000pcs meat pie during X'mas season 2003. And she have just started up a website so that customers can buy their meat pie online.

Old Parish Courthouse Museum

by vigi Written May 13, 2004

Fondest memory: As soon as we left the plantation, immediately drove to this comprehensive State Museum, pretty rush schedule!!! They had the Louisiana Purchase Exhibition as well as displaying the death mask of Nepolean (one of the original copy).

Dinner at Pioneer

by vigi Written May 12, 2004

Fondest memory: Everybody was hungry by now, after our early lunch. We went to this old place in the old town, Pioneer Pub & Restaurant. I remember the starter, fried shrimp in spicy cajun style, oh God, it was SO GOOD!!! And I love the environment here, locals seems to know everybody in the pub, and it's like a community center more than a pub! lol

Lovely Beach

by vigi Written May 11, 2004

Fondest memory: Here it is, lovely beach inside the resort! Wow!!! I wish I could have time to get some sun tan here, but I could not... I only have time walk along the beach and feel a bit the sand, and took a photo, that's it!!! Well... that's the pros and cons of travelling in a tour, they arrange everything, but you have to see many things in a day, there's no time to relax and lay on the beach girl!

Tour Around the Resort

by vigi Written May 11, 2004

Fondest memory: We were running late in our schedule, while the resort owner insist to drive us to tour around the resort. She is very good host indeed, keep talking, introducing the facilities in the whirldwind tour... It will be more relaxing if we had more time to allocate here.

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

A Day I'll Never Forget

by keeweechic Updated Aug 9, 2003

Fondest memory: I had been looking forward to our trip to Natchitoches. Unfortunately that morning, we awoke to news of the World Trade Centre bombing. Our trip down was delayed while we sat watching in horror as events unfolded. Passing by the Shreveport airforce base, we heard that President Bush had just landed. Our car radio was set all day on the public radio station in that area.

The only reprieve we got from this shocking day was when we left the car to stroll around this delightful city. Even then, radios could be heard everywhere. We still enjoyed our visit and hope to return under happier circumstances some day.

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

Downtown Historic District

by keeweechic Updated Oct 9, 2002

Favorite thing: The Downtown Historic District covers a 33-square block and features more than 50 historic homes and buildings. The brick main street is lined with wrought iron laced buildings, large stately oak trees, and of course, magnolias, the state flower of Louisiana. Churches and buildings from the mid-nineteenth century line the quaint French named streets. Wrought iron benches also are scattered here and there. These were first placed in 1940 and most bear the names of honoured individuals who have contributed to the life of Natchitoches.

• Ricardo_J_M's Profile Photo

Ricardo_J_M's General Tip

by Ricardo_J_M Written Oct 4, 2002

Fondest memory: we would make it a point to camping at least once a year at Kisatchie National Forest. We always had a blast.....We must return for another great camping trip. It is located southwest of Natchitoches.

Instant Answers: Natchitoches

Comments

Natchitoches Favorites

Reviews and photos of Natchitoches favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Natchitoches sightseeing.