Plantations, New Orleans

Plaque in blacksmith shop
    China in the Dining Room
    by grandmaR
    Photo I took of myself in the mirror
    by grandmaR

Know about this? Rate It!

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Antebellum South

by grandmaR Updated Jan 28, 2006

Favorite thing: The various plantations each have their strengths and weaknesses. We went to Oak Alley because I wanted to combine a swamp tour with a plantation tour before it got too cold, and that was the one recommended by the hotel concierge

I was disappointed in Oak Alley. Partly this was because they have recently prohibited people from taking pictures inside the house. The avenue of live oak trees which was planted 100 years before the plantation was built is very spectacular.

But it is NOT original inside, and I consider that it is kind of a Disney presentation of the south.

Possibilities for a plantation tour include:

Plantation ..... Adult..... Student..... Child...... Miltary
    Nottoway........... .$10.00..... $4.00........ Free
    Oak Alley .......... .$10.00..... $5.00....... $4.00.... $9.00
    San Francisco....... $10.00..... $5.00........ Free..... $9.00
    St. Joseph.............. $8.00...... $6.00....... $4.00

Fondest memory: I have been told that all of the plantations along the Mississippi are open for business after Katrina.

China in the Dining Room Photo I took of myself in the mirror Photo taken through the window Avenue of oaks from the 2nd floor Plaque in blacksmith shop
    • Luxury Travel
    • Architecture

• Turnkey's Profile Photo

Take a plantation tour out to...

by Turnkey Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: Take a plantation tour out to Laura plantation. The slave quarters are still mostly standing, which (I have been told) is unusual. It is an awe-inspiring connection to a tragic chapter in our founding history. Follow that up with a visit to Oak Alley, the beautiful plantation where Interview With a Vampire was filmed...and where they make one heck of a mint julep.

Fondest memory: My fondest memory of New Orleans is eating my breakfast beignet at the Cafe Du Monde on the corner of Jackson Square. I ate there most mornings, and I really enjoyed watching the people pass by while my travelling partner and I planned our day over iced chicory cafe au lait.

• kucha's Profile Photo

Leave the city in a rental car...

by kucha Written Sep 7, 2002

Favorite thing: Leave the city in a rental car and tour the plantation district. There are so many beautiful old historic estates -- many of which can be seen inside via an organized tour if one wishes.

• vanessadb's Profile Photo

take a plantation tour.

by vanessadb Written Aug 26, 2002

Fondest memory: On our last day, we decided to take a plantation tour and went to Oak Alley. To me, it was the highlight of our trip. Oak Alley with its beautiful alley of 28 Live Oak Trees is breathtaking.

Instant Answers: New Orleans