Street Performers, New Orleans

Know about this? Rate It!

A street drummer
    by Beachdave
  • Tom_Fields's Profile Photo

Street Musicians

by Tom_Fields Written Dec 17, 2006

Favorite thing: New Orleans has a culture and way of life based upon improvisation, resourcefulness, and blending diverse things together. That's why jazz was invented here. The French Quarter is full of street performers--many surprisingly good. Impromptu shows have always been part of life here. And if you enjoy the music, then tip the players.

Fondest memory: The brass band that I saw here, on Bourbon St near Canal St, was awesome. So was the man on the drums, made from plastic five-gallon buckets.

A brass band on Bourbon St A street drummer

• Jonathan_C's Profile Photo

street performers

by Jonathan_C Written Oct 8, 2004

Favorite thing: It's not surprising that the non-stop tourist traffic on Bourbon St. attracts a wide variety of street performers. It's all part of the party atmosphere. The statuesque men pictured here could be activated by one of two things -- a dollar bill in their bucket or a pretty girl walking by.

silver men

• halloweengirl's Profile Photo

Mimes, Mimes, everywhere

by halloweengirl Written Mar 7, 2003

Favorite thing: Maybe I should call this the most unusual thing that I enjoyed while in New Orleans. It seems that there is always a party going on, there are clowns, music, and mimes of every shape and size. They are on every street corner and it will really give you a kick to see them stand motionless, with their eyes open, and then when you least suspect it, they will move and talk to you in their wonderful cajun accent.

Fondest memory: My fondest memory was riding in the mule drawn carriages. The reason they use mules (so the driver told me) was because they are not disturbed by loud noises and crowds of people, like horses are. The reason this is my favorite memory was the sun on my face, the charming smell of the French Quarter, and the driver of our carriage told us about the history of all the buildings and how New Orleans came to be built here. Not to mention, I was with my favorite person in the world, my husband.

Mime or Ma'am
    • Music
    • Architecture

• Beachdave's Profile Photo

Here is one of the colorful...

by Beachdave Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: Here is one of the colorful characters on Bourbon street. He had swimming flippers on and after this picture he stood on his head, played a harmonica and flipped his flippers to a loud crack. He was really funny. Sorry I did not get a picture of this but I was bend over laughing at the sight.Also people were playing various musical instruments for the crowd.

• danmcf's Profile Photo

New Orleans has a very high...

by danmcf Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: New Orleans has a very high concentration of street performers. Probably one of the highest concentrations in the US.
    You'll find musicians of all kinds, magicians, mimes, animal acts, various artists, palm readers, tarot readers, and just about anything else you can imagine.

• Get your fortune told at The...

by Jonurse Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: Get your fortune told at The Bottom of The Cup!(Mine was alarmingly accurate..) Eat white chocolate bread pudding at the Commanders Palalce! Drink Hurricanes at Pat O'Briens.

Fondest memory: I went there with a friend from Ireland. I loved the people, after dealig withthe relative unfriendliness in Shreveport, New Orleans was wonderful!

• Take the time and enjoy the...

by Mirellaboer Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: Take the time and enjoy the Street artists! A good place to do that is on the Jackson Square!

Fondest memory: New Orleans is a Great place!!
    I allready wanted to go there for serveral years and now I finally went there. And the best part is it wasn't disappointing!! I had a really Good time there! I found it really relaxing. But when I think of New Orleans, I think about 'the Band'! (you can see a picture of them in my travellogue) They made me fell in love with New Orleans!

Instant Answers: New Orleans