Drinking, New Orleans

Know about this?

• Drinking
    by malianrob
    Can't say no to free alcohol ;o)
    by Jefie
    Having fun in New Orleans!
    by Jefie
  • lxine's Profile Photo

Drinking and Flashing

by lxine Written Apr 22, 2003

In the spirit of New Orleans debauchery, it IS legal to drink on the street. You can ask any bar for your drink to go in a plastic cup. There are even outdoor counters especially for this.

Even though flashing is NOT legal, it occurs on Bourbon Street year round. It's tolerated by police and even encouraged by bar management.

• School Holidays

• Plan to Drink

by learndastronomer Written Apr 21, 2003

If you walk on Bourbon St, plan to buy a drink everywhere you go. Places require it - no exceptions. It starts to cost some $$$ if you're in a place with some good music, but isn't that what you came for? If not, lots of places offer 3 for 1 specials where you can drink listening to the same old ...

• School Holidays

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

Legal Drinking

by keeweechic Written Oct 25, 2002

The drinking age in New Orleans is 21 years old and this is enforced. Drinking in public is permitted as long as you do not have an open or glass container. Be sure to ask the bar or restaurant for a "to go cup".

• I found the female bartenders...

by dzni Written Aug 26, 2002

I found the female bartenders to be extremely rude in the French Quarter, a point to being ridiculously so. I never had a problem with the male ones, but the females ones, once they served you your drink, would look at you for a second waiting for a tip, or they would say something snotty to you when you didn't tip. I'm sorry, but I'm not about to tip another 50 cents when I just bought a $6.00 drink with not-so-exemplary service!! Really, it infuriated me all around the area... I once had one girl motioning my 75 cents change into her tip bucket... and when I shook my head no, she threw it into a bed of ice, where I couldn't get it. Anyway, generally I just walked away mad to avoid any problems once I left the establishment. I am not very trusting of a lot of people here, and I know that's bad, but the experience I got her was that anyone will do anything to make a buck here. Maybe you'll have better luck than me.

• pboyce417's Profile Photo

Watch out for grenades!

by pboyce417 Written Sep 11, 2008

youll see a giant grenade walking around advertising a green drink. my advice: go for it! was delicious, not a strong alcohol taste, but itll get you buzzed.

Instant Answers: New Orleans