Bourbon St, New Orleans

Bourbon Street

Know about this? Rate It!

Taken early on in the night
    by Jefie
  • SheDragon's Profile Photo

Bourbon St.: Bourbon St.

by SheDragon Written Aug 24, 2002

They close off the streets to auto traffic at 8PM and chaos reigns for the rest of the night! From Canal St. up to about St. Anne's, Bourbon St. becomes one huge party! I know the pics here are not great when seen small, but if you can see them big, you can see all the people crowded into the street.

Dress Code: Casual, assuming you're dressed at all!

• Egrimreap4's Profile Photo

Bourbon street is by far the...

by Egrimreap4 Written Aug 24, 2002

Bourbon street is by far the most popular. There are many streets full of night clubs with any type of music you want to hear! People dancing in the streets and tourists watch - sometimes with their mouth open in disbelief! There is something for everyone!
    My favorite spot is downtown by the Mississippi river. At night you can see the barges going in and out the city surrounded by beautiful lights.

Dress Code: The dress code varies. SInce it is a touristic city, anything goes...

• There are plenty of bars to...

by TerryP Written Aug 24, 2002

There are plenty of bars to choose from on Bourbon Street. Hey, you don't even have to stay there. You can get your drink and walk to another bar.
    Lots of neon and..lets just say it not a place for the little kids.

• kinipela6's Profile Photo

Where do you think? Bourbon...

by kinipela6 Written Aug 24, 2002

Where do you think? Bourbon Street. You can't walk down it once without being pretty 'happy' by the end of the night.
    I got a little TOO 'happy.' But this is a must-do. And wear the beads!!! Buy a mask!!! it is worth it!!

• meek&humble2830's Profile Photo

Bourbon St: NIGHT LIFE shining bright

by meek&humble2830 Written May 27, 2009

Bourbon st night life was never boring, beads, beers, foods, live music sexy girls all kinds of street performers are all there for you to enjoy. ENJOY LIFE while you can and be sure to include Bourbon st in your many travel plans.

Dress Code: as long as you're not naked you're good to go.

• RWFAN's Profile Photo

Bourbon St: Bourbon Street by night

by RWFAN Written Mar 3, 2013
    Taken early on in the night

By day Bourbon Street is filled with tourists of all shapes and sizes roaming around the French Quarter discovering the many shops and restaurants and taking in the architecture. At night, it transforms into a pedestrian-only street with no rules where all of the most colourful characters of New Orleans can be found, along with every tourist with a New Orleans bucket-list. If you're looking for a rowdy night out on the town then this is where you'll want to start. The bars have reps outside to entice you to choose them, the mardi gras beads are plentiful regardless of the time of year. All down the street the balconies are as crowded with joyful party people as the street below. In New Orleans it is legal to drink on the streets and all of the bars offer "to-go" cups so you can take your beverage with you when you're ready to move on to the next location.

Dress Code: There are no rules about what is appropriate on Bourbon St!

• Tom_Fields's Profile Photo

Bourbon St: Where the Party Never Ends

by Tom_Fields Written Dec 18, 2006
    This is a great blues club, on Bourbon St

Everyone has heard of this fabled street. Lined with all kinds of clubs, it draws visitors from around the world. The music can be Dixieland jazz, blues, zydeco, rock, country, folk, and almost anything in between.

Have a good time. Just remember that even the Big Easy has a few laws, and they ARE enforced. The cops may not catch every lawbreaker, but they make an example of those they do. Please bear in mind that indecent exposure, lewd behavior, drinking from the original container on the street, and other disorderly conduct can get you in trouble just as they would anywhere.

Also, do NOT venture north of Bourbon St (opposite direction from the river). It's very dark up there, for a reason. That's a rather dangerous place to go. And there's no good reason to wander up that way. In other words, this street marks the northern boundary of where it's safe to go--and that applies even in daytime.

Dress Code: Come as you are. Most clubs are pretty casual.

• Hiking and Walking
    • Beer Tasting

• Bourbon Street: Give it a whirl

by eulessdave Written Apr 16, 2007

Bourbon Street has become an adult playground with touristy and trashy clubs, shops, and strip bars. By the way, bottomless doesn't mean bottomless. We went to several of the clubs (avoiding the rock cover bands) and carried drinks up and down the street. Here's the breakdown of people on Bourbon Street:

16 - 25 = Get falling down drunk, go crazy, throw up.
    26 - 35 = Drink too much, find some cool clubs, appreciate the music, move on to other places
    36 - 55 = Drink a lot, laugh at the 22 year olds (girls flashing / guys throwing up), go somewhere else for a great dinner and music
    55 and over = Walk one block in shock and horror, go back and hide in room. OR ... Try to be a hip 22 year old again; get wasted and throw up.

Don't worry, they wash down the street every morning at 4:30.

Make sure you visit Bourbon Street ... it's a must. But promise me that you will make time to visit the other great places that New Orleans has to offer.

Dress Code: None

• bbowen's Profile Photo

Bourbon St: Mardi Gras all year long!

by bbowen Written Feb 3, 2008

I was in New Orleans in October. The legendary New Orleans behavior seems to go on even when Mardi Gras is not happening. Granted the streets weren't packed solid but the was still flashing and plenty of drinks to be had!

• Gay and Lesbian

• malianrob's Profile Photo

Bourbon St: Boubon Street Of Course

by malianrob Written Feb 16, 2008

There are tons of places to go for nightlife in New Orleans but as a tourist we wanted to go to Boubon street. This place is crazy, it doesnt have to be Mardi Gras for it to be happening. If you walk down Bourbon Street the first thing you will notice is the many bars and gentlemans clubs that there are. If one bar isnt for you, maybe the next one is. Some of the bars will have live music, like the Funky Pirate. This is where I had my first Hurricane. I have no idea whats in that drink but it was pretty good.
    In the morning hours its hard to find a place to eat around here and it seems like verything gets started alittle later around here but I am sure thats because the party goes on pretty late at night. This was a fun spot to be at, the main objective here is to drink.

• tpaul's Profile Photo

Bourbon Street: Party Every Night

by tpaul Written Mar 8, 2005

Bourbon Street is a non-stop party. Starting out on the Canal Street end, you can walk for a mile and pass endless bars, clubs, caberets, a few restaurants, and more bars. Live music jams out of literally every establishment, and the street is flooded with people (Bourbon Street is opened only to pedestrian traffic at night).

On a calm night, there are thousands of people drinking beer on the go, re-defining the term "bar hopping." It's pretty difficult weaving your way through this sea of revelers while yourself trying to have a drink, but somehow you figure out how to do it.

It's full of life and energy. But there is an underlying feeling of impending chaos.. as if, at any moment, there could be a riot. Which may add to the overall excitement of it all.

As in any city, and one so dedicated to debauchery, you need to be careful. Travel in groups, don't wander off alone - especially in secluded alleys late at night. Be careful of your valuables, keep your wallet in your front pocket - all basic city survival tactics.

All in all, Bourbon Street is a lot of fun. Just take the necessary safety precautions and enjoy it.

• mrshlomi's Profile Photo

Bourbon St: Drinking outside :)

by mrshlomi Written Jun 5, 2005

I had a fantastic time in Burbon street both during the night (beware of flying beads and the associated tops), and during the day. Its really nice to walk along the water, or take in the sights and smells.

Dress Code: Casual

• BOURBON STREET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!: BOURBON STREET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Hot-Holly Written Aug 26, 2002

It's InSAnE!!!!!!! But so much fun... kinda crude and everyone is usually drunk but the cats meow has great Kaereokee... and there are good R&B clubs... Cajun music......a lot of gay and lesbian clubs down there too...nude dancing etc. Definately NOT a place to bring your kids especially at Mardi Gras.

Dress Code: well.. most people dress kinda bad... wear you're party outfits.

• Daisiedoll's Profile Photo

Bourbon St: Fun but be careful!

by Daisiedoll Written Jun 20, 2004

Spent Halloween 2003 on Bourbon street with some local friends. They advised me to not lose them; as a matter of fact we held hands in crowded areas!

Interesting experience. Mega huge frozen drinks for us. Then a little bar with a rock type band where we danced a bit. We also picked up some stalkers. Not good.

Moving on to a karaoke joint. We had much fun watching people perform and singing along. But our stalkers found us and we also got the addition of much older men pushing into us in the crowd. I moved my friends about in the crowd trying to lose both perverted old men AND stalkers.

We decided to hit the bathroom before we left. So did our stalkers. Luckily, we were finished first and bolted out the door. I led my friends back and forth as we made our way back down Bourbon St. Eventually we lost them, but they were quite scary.

It was still fun singing and dancing and spending time people watching with my friends. Not a place I'd frequent, but fun just for the sake of saying you were there.

Dress Code: Anything or nothing goes. While not as abundant as during Mardi Gras, nudity was still out and about.

• School Holidays

• kookiemonster's Profile Photo

Bourbon St: The Big Sleazy

by kookiemonster Written Sep 17, 2004

My first trip to New Orleans, of course I wanted to see Bourbon Street. With it's mix of bars and nightclubs, t-shirt and voodoo shops, live music, drunk people, the possibility of naked breasts, we were sure to have a good time, right?
    I was severly disappointed. Granted, the trip up to that point hadn't exactly gone as planned, and this may have put a damper on the overall mood. But why don't I just tell you what happened and let you draw your own conclusions.
    We started out the night early, while it was still light out, finding a parking garage in the French Quarter for what we thought was a $15 flat rate. They parked the car for us, which was nice. As we left, we realized it was hourly, the garage next door was a flat rate. Oh well, at least we were out of the car and ready to hit the town.
    Our first stop was a headshop, because we don't have them in Nashville anymore:( I was able to pick up a free publication letting us know about the fun things happening that night. Sorry, don't remember the name of it off the top of my head.
    Right away we found a corner bar w/ drink specials of 3 for 1. What a coincidence, we had three people! If you want to drink alot for very cheap, New Orleans is the place to go. In less than an hour, we went in and out of three different places w/ no cover charge. A real advantage here is that if you put your drink in a plastic go cup, you can walk around the streets w/ an open conainter. So, needless to say, we were pretty tipsy by 10pm.
    To be continued...

Dress Code: No shirt, no shoes, alright! Anything goes in this part of town.

• School Holidays