Cat's Meow, New Orleans

701 Bourbon St. 504 523 1157

Know about this? Rate It!

Cats Meow
    by spartan
  • spartan's Profile Photo

Cat's Meow: The best karaoke bar in the world

by spartan Written Feb 7, 2004

If you are looking for a place to sing, drink and have fun, then this is the place for you. It takes a lot of guts to get up on stage and sing karaoke in front of a crowd...now you may not see these people on American Idol or anything like that, but many of them are very good. You also can't beat the 3 for 1 Happy Hour deals that Cat's Meow offers everyday (domestic long neck bottles of beer or 32 oz. cocktails with 3 full shots).

Dress Code: Very casual

• Beer Tasting

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

Cat's Meow: Loud, Tacky... and FUN!!

by TravellerMel Updated Apr 4, 2011

OK, in the interest of full disclosure, the Cat's Meow is.... a karaoke bar. Truly - in the heart of the French Quarter is an honest-to-goodness karaoke bar. No cover - it's usually crowded, and the folks who choose to sing run the gamut from Next American Idol to OMG Is That a Dying Moose. But check it out, at least once, because it is also a lot of fun. I've even been on the stage (although my performance of "I Feel Lucky" fell into the last category). Just outside, on the street, is the Bourbo-Cam - hang out in front of it for approx 6 minutes and you can go home to see yourself on the internet!

GREAT balcony for hanging out at Mardi Gras, and it is in the heart of the Quarter, so an awesome place for people-watching year round!

Dress Code: Pretty much anything goes, although I'm pretty sure shoes and shirts are required (at Mardi Gras, the shirt can be painted on, but seeing as how it's in the Quarter, TRUST ME you want to be wearing shoes...)

• Singles
    • Women's Travel

• meaganelizabeth's Profile Photo

Cat's Meow: Karaoke and Club!

by meaganelizabeth Updated Apr 4, 2011

Dress Code!

Im not a bar or nightclub person, but I promised my sis one night! Threw back some hurricanes and had a blast at this crazy bar. Great vibes, crazy people, good singing and songs. We sang all night long.

Dress Code: whatever you would like will be just fine!

• Study Abroad
    • School Holidays

• maestrousmc's Profile Photo

Cat's Meow: Karaoke on Bourbon

by maestrousmc Updated Apr 4, 2011

Cats Meow

What makes Cat's Meow stand out from it's counterparts on Bourbon Street is its karaoke opportunity -- the chance to get up on stage with the comical hosts to share your not-so-inspiring vocal technique. In between every other customer, the "pros" step in to show you how it's done. There is an outdoor patio and balcony area should you choose to cleanse your hearing palate.

Cat's Meow also offers drink specials and affordable options.

• BLewJay's Profile Photo

Cat's Meow: Karaoke Night

by BLewJay Written Feb 17, 2004

This is a fun place to go with your friends and watch "other" people get up on the stage and sing. The "3 for 1 Happy Hour" special (32 oz. cocktail with 3 full shots) happens everyday.

Dress Code: Come as you are and get ready to have fun.

• Jmill42's Profile Photo

Cats Meow!!!: If you are looking for a place...

by Jmill42 Updated Nov 15, 2002

The Stage

If you are looking for a place to act stupid, the Cat's Meow is your place. The 3 for 1 drink special which starts around 2 in the afternoon should call you out from your hotel rooms early. Then as the day flows into night, you are sure to be 'flowing' also. Try not to pass out, or go home and do it so you can be back around 11- midnight, because that is when the place is rocking! A word of caution, though it does get PACKED! If you are claustrophobic, you might want to find another bar.

Dress Code: ANYTHING you want. Do not be afraid of wearing shorts or anything else for that matter. You will not stand out even if you are wearing a purple polka-dotted penguin suit (in fact I think it is encouraged!).

• Bela_LUng's Profile Photo

Cat's Meow: Beads and boobies at the cat's meow.

by Bela_LUng Updated Apr 4, 2011

Everytime I go to New Orleans, this is the place I find the most people crowded around due to some ladies on the balcony of Cat's Meow showing some boobies. Never been inside...hehhe. Just stand outside and start going nutso.

Dress Code: WOO!

• Darkeyedgirl's Profile Photo

Cat's Meow: Lose your voice, after you lose your inhibitions

by Darkeyedgirl Updated Apr 4, 2011
    on the balcony singing at Cat's

Yet another nightclub full of personality - yet this one really stands out. You'll see people karoake their lungs out, get to do it yourself, everyone sings along, everyone's dancing. If you're really lucky, the next morning? You'll have laryngitis and you can brag about how much you sang your brains out!

The bar itself had a great dance floor; stage; and the balconies up top were quite a sight. Everyone knows Cat's.

Dress Code: Seems to me, the dress code for most places on Bourbon Street is "better if you wear less". Less is more!

Show off, be colorful, wear what you want, and don't be shy. Especially at Cat's.

• Taffster's Profile Photo

Cat's Meow: Drinking at the Cat's Meow

by Taffster Updated Apr 4, 2011

We hit the cat's meow on Bourbon Street which was an awesome karaoke bar...not that i can remember - the drink is lethal - just the way i like it! I think i crawled in at about 5am and had a wee bit of a hangover the next day.
    I did sing a bit of good old Tom Jones to get the Welsh spirit in the house!

Dress Code: whatever takes your fancy!!

• cjuliette's Profile Photo

Cat's Meow: Karaoke makes you feel like a rock star

by cjuliette Updated Apr 4, 2011
    Sweet Home Alabama Karaoke Champions

People in this place go crazy with a good (or bad to be quite honest) act on stage. The mood is so right (and the drinks so strong) i think they've convinced themselves it's a real concert, and once you're up there, you'll think you're a rock star.

Before hand, I recomend taking a few shots, tequilla is what led us to the stage. Then, find a song and ask the woman/man by the stage. We wanted to do "Sweet Home Alabama" but they said someone was about to do it next. Well we found out it was the soon to be poor sap you see in the left background, and we made him agree to us as his entourage. Well, as it turned out we were more the main act and him the back up. Bring a beer on stage to sip on if you forget the words.

• mirrajay's Profile Photo

Cat's Meow: At first I was afraid....I was petrified...

by mirrajay Updated Jun 9, 2004

I LOVED it here! I was very hesitant to go in at first b/c I was afraid they would make me sing (its a kareoke bar) and I thought that was something I would never do.
    Hmph! Was I wrong :) After quite a few drinks, we decided we would get up and do a number on the stage. You have to get on a list and choose a song from a little book that they have and then wait your turn. When they called us, we ran up on stage; suddenly very excited to do something I swore I would never do. We had chosen "I Will Survive" and if I may say so myself, we did an excellet job! It was so much fun - everyone was all dancing and singing with us. Even the most terrible of entertainers didnt get booed or beraded at all. Everyone was just having a great time regardless of anyone's singing ability.
    This is a MUST DO when in New Orleans!

Dress Code: No dress code - jeans and Tshirts are just fine.

• Cat's Meow on Bourbon...

by Lottie-da Written Aug 24, 2002

Cat's Meow on Bourbon Street
    Just stand outside on the corner and you will have the people watching experience of your life! You can also get yourself on the 'Bourbocam' and be on the internet for all your friends to see, but you have to let them know a day and approximate time.

Dress Code: Dress code????

• TRimer's Profile Photo

Cats Meow: Karaoke Bar on Bourbon Street

by TRimer Written Jan 12, 2003
    Cat Club Crooners

Popular rock and a sprinkling of country blast over the speakers, either from the emcee-led karaoke scene or a deejay. A modest dance floor gives the motivated a place to shake their things. The karaoke is free and open to everyone.

• larsy's Profile Photo

The cats Meow is Pretty...

by larsy Written Aug 25, 2002

The cats Meow is Pretty popular if you can stand Karaoke.
    ITs over 18 sometimes over 21 others I believe. If your under 21 they mark you with a very easily removable marker.(so Ive heard;)

Instant Answers: New Orleans