Funky Pirate, New Orleans

700 block of Bourbon St.

Know about this? Rate It!

Big Al
    by Hermanater
    Funky Pirate
    by Hermanater
  • Funky Pirate
    by Ewingjr98
  • BigBlueOne's Profile Photo

Funky Pirate: Best Blues Club On Bourbon!

by BigBlueOne Updated Mar 27, 2007

A little dark but I didn't want to blind the guy..

Big Al Carson and the gang reminded me of my favorite Chicago blues club (Buddy Guy's Legends). They were definitely my favorite place to listen to music on Bourbon. Only down side is if you go multiple nights you may hear the same songs a few times.

Dress Code: Its bourbon street! Whatever you wear should be easily removable!

• Festivals
    • Music

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Funky Pirate: The Funky Pirate - Bourbon Street, French Quarter

by Ewingjr98 Updated Oct 10, 2011

The Funky Pirate is one of the better free blues bars in the French Quarter, and it frequently features Big Al Carson and The Blues Masters. Big Al's name is a good description, as he weighs in the neighborhood of 450 pounds, but he is a great and entertaining singer and showman.

We stopped in late during our first night in New Orleans and we ended up staying for at least an hour, maybe two listening to Big Al work the crowd. We had lots of Abita beers and one of the guys in our group even tried their "shark attack" drink that comes with a plastic shark.

The Funky Pirate draws an older crowds (people in their 50s or so), but it is a good time with Big Al providing the entertainment.

• Hermanater's Profile Photo

Funky Pirate: Great Blues Music

by Hermanater Written Nov 18, 2011
    Funky Pirate

I want to hear some Blues so we ended up at the Funky Pirate.
    On the schedule that night was Big Al Carson and the Blues Masters.
    "BIG" was an understatement. He is just under 500 pounds. He parked across the street (the street is closed off but they let him through) and walked straight to his chair. I wasn't sure what to expect but man can this guy sing. He was pretty funny too.

I could have sat there all night listening to him.

A must see.

Dress Code: None

• Music

• Funky Pirate: Entertaining music and bar!

by erincoleman Written Jul 13, 2006

Big Al Carson was the entertainment when we went to the Funky Pirate. I think he's pretty much the permanent musical entertainment. He was very, very good. The staff at the bar were kind of rude but other than that, the atmosphere was fun and Big Al is an amazing singer.

Dress Code: Very Casual.

• SVMainUS's Profile Photo

Funky Pirate: Great blues club

by SVMainUS Written Jun 4, 2004

The Funky Pirate was our personal fave while staying in the French Quarter. It's a fairly large as clubs go there - and great fun. The service was the BEST we had. The real gem here though is that Big Al Carson and the Bluesmasters play here every night Mon-Sat. They were the best act we saw - and that's saying much. We came back 3 nights to see them. They will knock your SOCKS OFF. I loved the Funky Pirate. The club sits right between two other great clubs - Fritzels European Jazz bar, and The Tropical Isle.

Dress Code: Casual/dressy casual