Howlin' Wolf, New Orleans

828 South Peters - Warehouse District 504-522-9653

Know about this? Rate It!

The Howlin Wolf
    by Darkeyedgirl
  • Howlin' Wolf: THe Real New Orleans

by bogg Written Mar 13, 2008

The Howlin Wolf

When visiting a new city, I still like to feel like I am at home. That is what is so great about the Howlin Wolf in New Orleans, it portrays a sense of community like a neighborhood watering hole, with its' New Orleans Flare and undeniable vibe no music lover can deny. This venue showcases national touring bands as well as local acts. They have everything from blues, funk, brass bands ( Like REBIRTH!), and every kind of rock you can name. If you haven't been here yet, you should defiantly check it out. Coming from a local, this is something you need to check out when you visit New orleans to get the full experience.

Dress Code: This is a pretty laid back place, so probably whatever you have on is fine.

• Study Abroad

• Howlin' Wolf: Best Live Music In New Orleans

by bogg Written Mar 12, 2008

I just Moved to New Orleans and stumbled across place. There I was minding my own business, when the resonating sound of this great brass band (who I later found out was called Rebirth) blessed my ears. I immediately grabbed my friends and drug them through the door. Since then, I have gone back at least a dozen times and have heard everything from blues to alternative rock. This place is like a music utopia.

Dress Code: The Dress code really depends on what night you go. Have no fears, if it is fancy attire they will let you know.

• Study Abroad

• Darkeyedgirl's Profile Photo

Howlin' Wolf: Now THIS was a PARTY!

by Darkeyedgirl Written Aug 18, 2005

lights on the dancefloor

We just sort of lucked out when we found this place; as my co-workers and myself were stumbling back to the hotel to change & get ready for the Quarter, lo & behold --- the guys from Tabasco grabbed us & pulled us inside!

The Howlin' Wolf has a stage; so I'm guessing at some point, they have live bands. This night, however, they had a DJ. And oh man, what a DJ! He played all the best hits from the 60s, 70s, & 80s. Stuff you can boogie woogie to. They have 2 bars here; one in the back & a larger one up front. The decor is way-cool, the people way-friendly; and just an all-out fun spot, not to miss!

Dress Code: No dress code; come as you are.

• Rude_boy22's Profile Photo

The Howlin' Wolf: The Howlin' Wolf

by Rude_boy22 Written Aug 24, 2002

I haven't been here yet, but friends have told me the new place to hear some good blues is this small dive. The place is named after the blues master pictured to your left. In the thirties to the seventies, the Wolf would drive crowds nuts with his dirty, intense brand of blues (Most famous songs:'Back Door Man,' 'The Red Rooster,' 'I Ain't Superstitious,' and 'Goin' Down Slow.'). Often ending shows howling while climbing curtains....hence his moniker. They try to keep up this tradition of heavy blues by hiring bands like the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion. 'I didn't know, you was down in New Orleans last night.....
    No I didn't know, you was in New Orleans last night...
    Well I do know sweetheart, you don't treat me nice....' -Howlin' Wolf- from the song 'I Didn't Know'

Dress Code: Whatever

• Virtuous_Tourist's Profile Photo

The Howlin' Wolf: great place for live music

by Virtuous_Tourist Written Jun 25, 2003

Check the calendar of events regularly because The Howlin' Wolf pulls in some good music shows from time to time...

Instant Answers: New Orleans