Tropical Isle, New Orleans

721 Bourbon St. and738 Toulouse St.

Know about this? Rate It!

• Tropical Isle
    by Hermanater
    Try the Hand Grenade.....
  • Tropical Isle
  • Hermanater's Profile Photo

Tropical Isle: Strong Drinks and a good house band

by Hermanater Written Nov 18, 2011
    Try the Hand Grenade.....

We wanted to walk around the French Quarter and take in many different pubs/bands. We were at Tropical Isle and decide to stop for a bit and listen to the music.
    I ordered a hand grenade drink. VERY strong. To me it tasted something like mountain dew. I am guessing about 8 - 9 oz of alcohol in it.

Since we had not eaten yet, we ordered chicken wings. This was the only bad part of the pub. The wings were probably the worst I have ever had.

While we were there a band called "The Hangovers" was playing. They played old rock' n roll music. We really enjoyed them.They said they take requests so I yelled out Mustang Sally and sure enough they played a 12 minute version of the song.

A good time.
    We went up and down Bourbon street and ended back at this place. We just seem to enjoy it.

Dress Code: No real dress code.

• Music
    • Singles

• moirholj's Profile Photo

Tropical Isle: Get your Hand Grenades right here! (its a drink)

by moirholj Updated Apr 4, 2011

This is what you will look like after a few!

I definately had a good time at the Tropical Isle, although I must say that both times I've been there, I was surprised by the fact that it was never crowded. This may be due in part to the fact that you can get your drinks ToGo and walk back out on Bourbon Street to watch the action.

The signature drink here is the Hand Grenade. Served to you in a tall, bright green, plastic 'cup', with a hand grenade bulb shape on the bottom, this drink is a sweet, green treat. I believe that the main ingredient is Midori liquor.

The first floor is a bar and stage where you can hear live music or just hang out and drink. I prefer the second floor where there are pool tables, and you can play a game or two while you enjoy getting drunk! Also on the 2nd floor is your traditional Bourbon Street balcony where you can go outside and look down on the Bourbon Street madness. Bring some beads and let the fun begin!

Note: You will get to keep your Hand Grenade cup, but if you try to pack it up and take it on a plane with you they will make you throw it away. Even though the part of the cup that is shaped like a hand grenade is connected to a foot of plastic cup, the airlines felt it was a threat. I think that's overkill, but airport security did make me throw away my Tropical Isle hand grenade cup. Just giving you the heads up!

Dress Code: I've only been to the 721 Bourbon Street location, and since it's on Bourbon Street the dress code is: No Dress Code. This place is totally laid back and casual.

• BuickMackane's Profile Photo

Tropical Isle: Bourbon Street! Top picks...

by BuickMackane Updated Apr 4, 2011

Nathalie just loves this guy!!

Bourbon Street! Top picks include Tropical Isle, Funky Pirate and Cat's Meow. All of these clubs offer livecams so you can see the action both inside and outside the clubs!

Just wander up and down Bourbon Street and soak up the wild 'n' crazy atmosphere. I couldn't take my 4-year-old inside any of the bars, but the music is clearly audible in the street. The Hand Grenade, I should explain, is one of several mixed drinks served in New Orleans that packs a real wallop, as does a Hurricane, Planters Punch or Daiquiri. They're served in giant 'go-cups' which in itself is a major culture shock, that open public consumption of alcohol is acceptable and encouraged!

I liked the music coming from the Funky Pirate the best. Their house band features an African-American guitarist and they cover Jimi Hendrix, Robin Trower and Led Zeppelin. The first time I heard the searing Hendrix licks, I lifted my little girl up so she could see the left-handed Fender Stratocaster he was playing (except he was right-handed, what's up with that). The bouncers all felt sorry that we couldn't go inside at these places. They engaged us in conversation and, lo and behold, every single one we met was from Massachusetts. What an odd coincidence!

Dress Code: The wilder, the better! This is the land of Mardi Gras, after all!

• SVMainUS's Profile Photo

Tropical Isle: Love the Hand Grenade

by SVMainUS Written Jun 4, 2004

This was a fun club to visit - but mostly for the hand grenade. Great drink and it's THEIR signature drink. We stopped by two nights - one night was a rock band, the next was a country band. That wasn't what we were looking for while there -but I suppose they get all venues of music. The balcony is nice and they have pool tables too. This place does seem to have the younger crowd. There was a picture of a smiling Jenna Bush on the wall - apparently she spent her 21st birthday at the Tropical Isle. The folks that own this - also own the Funky Pirate next door.

Dress Code: Totally casual

• Jmill42's Profile Photo

Tropicle Isle: HANDGRENADE!!!!!!!!!!!

by Jmill42 Updated Dec 11, 2002

Walk-up Window!

OK, don't go inside the club itself for more than 5 minutes, because the rest of Bourbon Street is better. But, DO stop into Tropical Isle to get your handgrenade for the walk! The handgrenade is the signature drink of this place. It is severely potent...
    no, better yet, its the devil incarnate. These things will put you down in a hurry. They taste pretty good and pack a Mike Tyson punch.

Dress Code: None

• Tropicle Isle: Tropicle Isle

by markjs Written Aug 26, 2002

The hand grenade, patented by the tropicle isle, is a very powerful and unique drink. It tastes like a lime drink but has very potent alcohol included as well. The bar also has quality live rock music.

Dress Code: anything

• Tropical Isle: A fun place all around

by greytpyrs Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Hurricane is super sweet so be prepared. Its HUGE and mostly for those who want a real alcohol kick from what they are drinking. Not for the weak of heart!

Instant Answers: New Orleans