Insect Spray, New Orleans

Know about this?

• Packing List

by Mulattomama Written Aug 26, 2002

Luggage and bags: Regular suitcase is okay.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: If going in the summer like I did (Holy hanna it's hot and humid there then!!)
    pack very light clothing. Lots of shorts, tank tops, light skirts, pants, or dresses and
    sandals. For a swamp tour you'll need the long pants and closed shoes though!

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Bug spray! They have HUGE bugs there!!!!!

Photo Equipment: The usual.

Miscellaneous: Something to carry water in like a canteen. It helps when you're not near a store.

• SheDragon's Profile Photo

Packing List

by SheDragon Written Aug 24, 2002

Luggage and bags: If you're like me and have a bit of a bad back, make sure you have a hubby who doesn't! I usually take a backpack with me wherever I go, and any souvenirs, books, etc that I buy on the way go right into there. Backpacks are easy to carry and if worn properly, not bad on the back. Unfortunately, my back still gave me trouble and hubby ended up carrying it at least half of the time. Backpacks are also good against people who want to steal your bag if worn over both shoulders. Be careful of putting anything of value in the outside pockets, though...I usually like to keep cheap reading material and feminine hygiene products here. If anyone wants to steal them, I won't be that upset!

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: It is HOT in New Orleans! (duh) :)
    Even though it was early November, we still did a decent amount of sweating, even while wearing shorts. Of course, Hubby is Swedish and sweats whenever the temperature gets above freezing, and I'm not much better, but still...it was warm. If you want to learn about the city, walking tours are the way to go, so make sure you have good walking shoes!

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Insect Repellent!! I found something made by Coleman that emits a very high-pitched sound that is supposed to make moquitoes go away. It worked in New Orleans, but Bayou Barataria mosquitoes have no fear. They will bite you no matter what you do. Oh, and also Calomine lotion! I found something in Walgreen's called 'Bite Back' which worked to a point. It stopped the itch, but created this hard shell that didn't come off. Seriously...it didn't come off. Since I was getting bitten on my legs, primarily, this became a problem when it was time to shave. I cut myself so badly hubby had to help me with all the bandaids! It actually took over a month for the last of that stuff to wear off, and I think it actually made everything itch longer than normal.

Instant Answers: New Orleans