Umbrella/Raingear, New Orleans

Know about this?

• Umbrella/Raingear
    by BuickMackane
  • jasta_305's Profile Photo

Don't get caught in the rain!

by jasta_305 Written Feb 15, 2005

Miscellaneous: Carry a plastic poncho if you are going to be touring the city, while we were there it rained almost everyday, and I've heard unexpected showers happen alot in N.O. We picked up a couple plastic ponchos at Walmart for less than a buck and we used them a bunch, plus they are alot easier than carrying your umbrella especially if you have your hands full with shopping bags or alchohalic drinks. :)

• Pack for rain, heat, and an elegant restaurant

by MikeyH Written Mar 18, 2004

Luggage and bags: umbrellas and raincoats are essential during summer months. Fast moving and torrential storms are not uncommon. Also, winter can be chilly even though this is semi-tropical.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: dress lightly for summer but don't forget that the swelteringly hot and humid summers come with intense air conditioners so a jacket or sweater for indoors is nice to have. Also be sure to bring one nice outfit as good restaurants tend to be dressy. People in New Orleans dress up for good dinners. T-shirts, shorts, sandals, and tanks are frowned upon at finer establishments.

• Business Travel
    • Singles

• The umbrella - when it rain, it pours

by Uniqlo Updated Mar 8, 2004

Luggage and bags: Don't forget your umbrella, as there are not too many places you can stay out of the rain, or purchase an umbrella if your caught in a rain storm in the middle of the French Quarter. Keep in mind, the city is below sea-level, so it floods quickly!

• bteg's Profile Photo

Packing List

by bteg Written Sep 8, 2002

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Generally sunny but it can rain anytime, and when it rains...believe me it rains!! I lost my apartment in 1995 when it rained 14 inches in less than 6 hours! Bring an umbrella....it's just as good for shading the sun and protecting from the rain.

Photo Equipment: Lot's of great photo opportunities. Remember, we have Walmart here too, so don't overpack.

• BuickMackane's Profile Photo

Packing List

by BuickMackane Written Aug 26, 2002

Luggage and bags: We had too much luggage because my cousins gave so many toys and gifts to my little girl. I found a store that provided mailing services at 1000 Bourbon Street and shipped all the extra stuff home so I wouldn't have a problem at the airport.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: It rained very hard one day when we were there; I'm told that's a common occurrence. You'll need comfortable walking shoes more than anything else, because there's just so much schlepping around to do. We were completely exhausted every single night!

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: I bought our toiletries at a Wal-Mart in the bayou before we went to New Orleans. Although I did eventually spot a Walgreen's, I figured 'Where am I gonna find training pants in the French Quarter?' and it looks like I might have had a problem if I hadn't planned ahead.

Photo Equipment: Plenty of disposable cameras and film everywhere for the tourists. I don't know what pros might find, though.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: The shops sell plastic disposable rain slickers for about $2.50 for when you get caught in a shower.

Miscellaneous: If you can't leave the kids home, you'll be massively frustrated about all the grown-up things that you can't see and do. On the other hand, I found the Aquarium of the Americas to be fascinating and I'd recommend it to anyone! Bring your sense of adventure and prepare to be dazzled!

• Packing List

by kb16 Written Aug 24, 2002

Luggage and bags: Bring one bag, unless you are ritzy just wear your jeans, wash out your underwear. If you are going out to eat somewhere fancy you will need a dress (if you are inclined to wear dresses) but otherwise, you can party better in jeans. The less baggage - the easier it is for you. Especially in party country!!

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: See above - jeans, UMBRELLA, light sweater, really good walking shoes. You will do a LOT of walking.

Instant Answers: New Orleans