Acme Oyster House, New Orleans

• PinkFloydActuary's Profile Photo

Acme Oyster House: Forget the Oysters

by PinkFloydActuary Written Jul 4, 2012

The New Orleans Medley

One of the handful of places that Man vs. Food has visited - while I'm not interested in oysters, the rest of the menu looked pretty promising. The start was a little rocky though. You need to wait outside to be seated, which wouldn't be bad except for the horrible stench in the alley :( Luckily, we were seated fairly quickly. The table areas are a little cramped - the five of us were seated right between the bar and the kitchen area, so expect a little noise. Waitresses are efficient and friendly enough. Lighting is a tad on the dark side.

Favorite Dish: The menu hits on most of the local favorites. There are a few starred items, which is where I went to - the New Oreleans medley. This included a sampling of gumbo, jambalaya, red beans & rice and grilled smoked sausage. The Red beans and jambalaya were decent, but the sausage and gumbo were very good. Because it can be hard to limit yourself to one item, a sampler can really give you a lot to try. Going around the table, people were generally pleased with what they ordered, but we left just a tad hungry. On the positive side, the prices are quite reasonable, so there's room both in your stomach and wallet to give something else a try (i.e. Beignets anyone?)

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo

Acme Oyster House: A Good Place for Oysters

by mikelisaanna Written Jan 5, 2012

The Acme Oyster House is a popuar restaurant for tourists in New Orleans' French Quarter. It is fairly small and doesn't take reservations, so you usually have to wait in line outside to get in, which is annoying. However, once inside, the food is good, especially the oysters. The menu features a variety of oyster dishes, as well as fried seafood, seafood sandwiches ("poorboys"), and etouffees. Lisa had the oysters and I had the fried fish and sweet potato fries, which were good. The interior of the restaurant is not fancy, and you may end up sharing a table with other diners. If you want a fancy restaurant, this is not your place. If you want a fun, casual place with decent food, then eat at Acme.

• apbeaches's Profile Photo

Acme Oyster House: 100 yrs. in New Orleans

by apbeaches Written Apr 3, 2010

The lines out the door and down the block were a sign that this would be good. People were friendly and staff were helpful. The oyster bar was hopping, oysters were shuckin'; these were just the freshest, juiciest & hugest oysters I've ever eaten.

We stopped at the Acme Oyster Restaurant several times for dinner and again in the airport on our way home. Our oyster po boys were dressed & beautifully packed with Remoulade Sauce on the side.

Favorite Dish: Oysters, oysters & more oysters!
    Loved the oyster po boys, oyster chowder Rockefeller, craw puppies, raw oysters, jambalaya ...

• Acme: Small Oysters

by kcooper11 Written Sep 8, 2009

My husband and I have eaten raw oysters here before and they were good. To us, raw oysters are the ultimate food from the sea. This time the oysters were so small, barely larger than a nickel, we really feel like we did not get our money's worth this time.

Favorite Dish: Oysters.

• doug48's Profile Photo

acme oyster house: historic restaurant

by doug48 Written May 31, 2009

acme oyster house

the acme oyster house was established in 1910 and is one of the oldest restaurants in the french quarter. of course acme is famous for it's oysters and they also have very good cajun dishes that are moderately priced. the acme oyster house is a good dining value in the french quarter.

• maestrousmc's Profile Photo

Acme Oyster House: Not Just Oysters

by maestrousmc Written Mar 26, 2008

Acme Oyster House is a New Orleans institution. Though it can be quite touristy, with all the classic "must eat" New Orleans dishes, it's a one stop shop for any visitor. If you choose to only eat from the raw bar, you can bypass the line and stand at the bar while the shuckers prepare your food. It's conveniently located on Bourbon Street - closer to Canal Street.

• Acme Oyster House: Try someplace else

by Alegria3k Updated Sep 28, 2007

Yes, it may have decent food but there are so many other places to eat, why eat here? The hostess was rude, and didn't smile, and the waiter was a newbie who made a few newbie mistakes. The atmosphere isn't much different from your average sports bar. I wanted the seafood boil but they said that it was out of season and they didn't have any. What? I've been to two other restaurants, both of whom had seafood to boil. Sigh. I ordered the raw oysters. They were served with cocktail sauce but no horseradish. My friends who ate there, and some strangers who sat at the same long table, liked their food but weren't going to write lavish reviews about it. Overall, it was a decent place to eat ... but why eat someplace decent when there are so many other places to eat with better food, better atmosphere, better staff, and a wider variety of non-fat (healthy) selections?

Favorite Dish: The best comments I overhead were about the cooked oysters.

• cosmogypsy's Profile Photo

Acme Oyster House: THE BEST FOOD IN NEW ORLEANS

by cosmogypsy Written Sep 2, 2007

This restaurant was so good that we had to go back one more time before we left town! Both times that we visited, we tried different things so we could try more things on their menu. I did not try one thing that I did not enjoy! Yumm, Yumm and Yumm!!!!

Favorite Dish: Everything was so good, I cannot decide which was the best!

• hackenbush's Profile Photo

Acme Oyster House: Fast and good...

by hackenbush Written Jun 18, 2007

If your in the Quarter and like oysters or Po Boys, this is a good choice. The line can get a little long around dinner time and that's enough to discourage me unless I'm starving.

Favorite Dish: Shrimp po boys and bring me a cold beer and some hot sauce.

• cromette's Profile Photo

Acme Oyster House: A French Quarter Standard

by cromette Updated Mar 13, 2007

Acme Oyster House is a usual stop when we visit New Orleans. In truth, we usually try to make it the first stop. This time we had to settle for lunch the day after our arrival. They had just opened for the day and did not have crawfish for the day’s business yet, which was a disappointment. We ordered a dozen raw oysters, and they were tasty, but not typical for Acme. They did not have the same juicy, salty Acme taste we are used to.

Since they didn’t have the crawfish, I ordered crawfish etouffee, which was plenty good, but not terribly remarkable.

My husband ordered half of a roast beef po-boy and seafood gumbo. He always enjoys his meals at Acme the most, I think. The nostalgia is comforting. This restaurant was his pick for favorite.

My non-seafood eater ordered chicken and andouille soup. She really enjoyed her meal, and said it was very good.

The other daughter ordered half of a catfish po-boy with chicken and andouille soup. Similar to my order, she said it was good, but not remarkable.

Favorite Dish: Usually the raw oysters are my favorite. Salty and wonderful like no others! I hope this last visit was a fluke.

Also really enjoy the spicy crawfish served by the pound.

• Tom_Fields's Profile Photo

Acme Oyster House: The Real Deal

by Tom_Fields Written Dec 17, 2006
    The Acme Oyster House, in the French Quarter

As much as I love upscale restaurants like Antoine's, I cannot afford to eat there every night. The Acme Oyster House was recommended to me by locals, who know where the really good places are. The food is excellent, and so is the service. And it's moderately priced. This is where regular working-class locals go to eat. The atmosphere is very relaxed, and dress is casual.

Favorite Dish: All the dishes are good. Many are fried, but still good.

• Acme Oyster House: Simply the place to go

by NM_Bill Written May 12, 2006

It's all about the oysters and other seafood. The French Quarter location is not about ambiance as it's a hole in the wall. An experienced N.O. local who has eaten in certainly his share of fine restaurants internationally clued us in - he swears by Acme as his favorite.

Favorite Dish: charbroiled oysters - they're outstanding

• pamstravels's Profile Photo

Acme Oyster: Step up to the bar!

by pamstravels Written May 17, 2005

Waiting in line for Acme

Come on in and find a seat at the oyster bar. Fresh salty oysters opened in front of you!! Why sit at the bar? Because you get fun conversation with the men shucking the oysters and if they like you, they give you extra! Don't forget to order a bowl of gumbo or red beans & rice to go along with these raw treats!

This actually isn't the "original" Acme restaurant, the 1st one burned down (a long time ago) and they moved to a new location.

• jlanza29's Profile Photo

Acme Oyster: Worth the wait !!!!

by jlanza29 Written Feb 26, 2005

Come early and there is line, come late and there is a line, there's no way of getting into this place without a wait.......but stand in line and wait for it's well worth it once inside......and the wait will pay off when you have the most spectular oysters in your life......don't miss out trying there famous Pooy Boy sandwhich's that come in various forms, from fried oysters, to fried shrimp.. combo's...the prices are excellent...meaning cheap !!!!! Cold beers flow hand and hand with the simple service.......can't come to New Orleans without coming here and chucking some oysters !!! WELL WORTH IT !!!!! if possible sit at the oyster bar and watch how skillfully these people open oysters one after another without even flinching !!!!!

Favorite Dish: OYSTERS, OYSTERS, OYSTERS

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Acme Oyster: Great Gumbo!

by ATXtraveler Written Feb 8, 2005

Acme Oyster Co.

Since we were in New Orleans on a mission to find great Cajun food, our roads led to the Acme Oyster house. With several locations throughout the Nawlins area, we figured it must be pleasing to the locals!

We were actually quite impressed with how good the food was, and the waitress was super nice! When asked which gumbo she liked the best... she said "Normally I am pretty opinionated... but on this one... I can't help you because they are both great!"

Instant Answers: New Orleans

Comments

Hotels Near Acme Oyster House
4.5 out of 5 stars