Antoine's, New Orleans

by doug48
    Antoine's street side
    by DJMist
    by Tom_Fields
  • Antoine's Restaurant: Antoine's-- past its prime!

by grtcoms Written Aug 4, 2011

My wife and I had 3 days to spend in New Orleans and wanted to eat at 3 of its more famous restaurants; Antoine's, Commander's Palace, and K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen. Of the 3, Antoine's turned out to be the biggest disappointment because the food certainly did not live up to our expectations. My wife had a green tomato appetizer which turned out to have a red tomato instead. I had a ribeye steak entree that was very gristly and undercooked. Then my wife ordered coffee and it tasted like it was left over from lunch. It's easy to understand why there were hardly any customers in the place while we were there. The food was not deserving of the price and the service was tepid. Our waiter was older me (and I'm retired) and had all the charm of a funeral home director, which seems appropriate since Antoine's didn't seem to have any life to it. At least I can say I ate there, but I wouldn't recommend it to anybody. I would tell them to go to K-Paul's or Commander's Palace instead where the food is and excellent and the service is friendly and attentive.

• doug48's Profile Photo

antoine's: historic restaurant

by doug48 Updated May 24, 2009

antoine's

established in 1840 antoine's is the oldest family owned restaurant in the united states. antoine's is located at 713 rue saint louis and has occupied this site since 1868. the original oysters rockeffer was created at antoine's. antoine's has several historic period dining rooms and a very interesting decor. in my opinion not the best restaurant in new orleans but for those interested in history and architecture antoine's is a very interesting place to visit.

• Antoine's: Stay away!

by tg2309 Written Feb 8, 2009

Stopped in on a weeknight with plenty of seating...should have been a clue. Service mediocre. Food...edible at best. Clearly living off it's legacy. Far better places to spend your dollars and time. Cafeteria ambience. Had lunch at Bacco the next day...fabulous. Wanted to eat at Antoine's since I was a child...the memories were cheaper and more flavorful. Spend your dollars elsewhere.

• Antoine's: A tired old snobby has-been to avoid

by diablodetas Written May 25, 2008

Don't eat at Antoine's unless you enjoy being insulted, ripped off and disappointed. My wife and I were having a romantic getaway in New Orleans and we had made reservations in advance for Antoine's. We arrived early and were rudely told by the person on the door to go to the back of the line on the sidewalk. After waiting in the cold for half an hour, we were seated at a table close to the door of the brightly lit, noisy dining room. It had less atmosphere than a cafeteria. From the outset, the service was slow and extremely poor. The food was very ordinary and did not live up to the hype that surrounds this place. We have eaten much better food in New Orleans for a fraction of the price. The staff treated us with a mixture of rudeness and contempt. At no stage of the evening did anyone ask if we were enjoying our dinner. It was obvious that different groups of diners at Antoine's are treated unequally. We saw staff doting over some tables while we waited for ridiculous lengths of time to have our order taken, drinks served, dirty plates taken away, etc. This was an expensive and totally unenjoyable experience. Antoine's is not a world-class restaurant. It's a poorly-run, old has-been that should not have bothered reopening after Hurricane Katrina. If you are looking for a special dining experience in New Orleans, eat somewhere else.

• Antoine's: A wonderful eating experience

by Alegria3k Written Sep 30, 2007

This was easily my favorite restaurant during my 3 day stay in the Big Easy. The wait staff were prompt, knowledgeable, and polite. They ensured that our water glass was always full, the bread plate was never bare, and we were always happy. They wore serving suits and bow ties (women too); most patrons wore business casual. *** The restaurant itself has a plain entrance into a not-too fancy dining room. The high-quality silverware, cloth tablecloths, and well-designed menus suggest a more upscale experience. *** The food was delicious with nice presentation and served at the correct temperature. My combo salad of lettuce, artichoke hearts, heart of palm, and artichoke was unique and tasty. My shrimp cocktail was fresh and cooked just right. The desert of sweet, dark cherries flambesed in rum sauce served with ice cream, lit on fire at our table, was splendid. My friends ordered fish dishes and assorted coffees, all of which drew high compliments. *** After the meal, we were offered a tour of the restaurant. Little did we know that we’d spend as much time looking at the old memorabilia as we did on our meals. First you get to see their wine cellar (on the same floor), capable of holding up to 10,000 bottles with prices between $20 and $1,400. Then you move from room to room looking at old liquor bottles, dishes, gifts, menus, celebrity patron photos, and hundreds of other items collected over the 185 years (I think) that the family-own restaurant has been in business. It seems to be home to the Krewe of Proteus, a Mardi Gras regular, as well as the Snail Club (something de escargo, in French), a group formed in 1945 that holds a fine dinner every 9 months to sample the best food and conversation that New Orleans can offer. The most memorable of items for me was the letter and accompanying beret from Groucho Marx himself.

• DJMist's Profile Photo

Antoine's: Fireworks @ Antoine's

by DJMist Written Aug 1, 2007

A cup of Caf�� Br��lot Diabolique

Antoine's has been around since 1840. The walls are decorated with memorabilia from its long and storied history. I went here with my colleagues from the office - it was a part of our Christmas celebration. It was a party of 15 or so. Service was classy as you would expect from a fine dining establishment. We ordered the famous Oysters Rockefeller to start with. They are so named because the sauce is as rich as J.D. Rockefeller himself. I loved them and ate so many I filled up to quickly. The food we ordered was mostly a selection of seafood which is the only sensible thing to do in such a great seafood city. However, some of entrees consisted of prime rib or chicken. Everyone gave a ringing endorsement of their selection. We finished with desserts and the most fantastic after dinner display. We ordered Café Brûlot Diabolique - a mixture of several brandies and coffee - which is then set aflame. Our waiter proceeded to pour flaming liquid onto the table and toss burning brandy against the wall in an excellent display. Check out the recipe on their website. We followed our meal with a complimentary tour of this huge historical restaurant. A must for visitors or locals.

Favorite Dish: Oysters Rockafeller
    Café Brûlot Diabolique

• Tom_Fields's Profile Photo

Antoine's: The Queen of New Orleans Restaurants

by Tom_Fields Written Dec 17, 2006
    Antoine's

This restaurant, in business here since 1840, is one of the oldest in America. It's also one of the best. It's very pricey, so you may not want to go more than once in a single visit. But if you can afford to come here, then by all means do. You only live once.

Favorite Dish: The seafood is exquisite. And for an after-dinner drink, have the cafe brule. It's perfect before a night out on the town.

• e_boc's Profile Photo

Antoine's: Oldest in New Orleans, Since 1840

by e_boc Updated Feb 6, 2005
    Antoine's

Make sure to ask for SMOKING - you get to eat in the more elegant areas of the restaurant.

Antoine's has a selection of 15 dining rooms, each with their own unique history and charm.

Memorabilia from its many notable guests line the walls....and include General Patton, the Duke and Dutchess of Windsor, President Roosevelt, Judy Garland, Carroll Burnett and Pope John Paul the II...to name just a few....

• Rude_boy22's Profile Photo

Antoines: Antoines

by Rude_boy22 Written Aug 24, 2002

If you aren't worried about prices, Antoines is a New Orleans institution that shouldn't be missed. Founded around 1840, Antioines is the oldest restaurant still open in the US that I know of. Oysters Rockefeller was created here. All of the menu is in French, and jackets and ties are required.

Instant Answers: New Orleans

Comments

Hotels Near Antoine's
4.5 out of 5 stars