Brennan's, New Orleans

• ChrisSheena's Profile Photo

Brennans: Best Brunch Ever

by ChrisSheena Written Apr 28, 2013
    Brennans - unparalleled Quality

Open for breakfast and dinner, we had brunch here and HIGHLY recommend it. If you haven't booked, no problem if you're early - you can walk in. We had brunch at noon on a Saturday in April and were seated within 5 minutes. $36 per person for Brunch. Bananas Foster was started here - and it topped off a superb meal. You cannot come here and leave without trying the world famous bananas foster.

Favorite Dish: Eggs Hussarde - Poached eggs atop Holland rusks, Canadian bacon and Marchand de Vin sauce. Topped with Hollandaise sauce.

Bananas Foster - Bananas sautéed in butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and banana liqueur then flamed in rum. Served over vanilla ice cream. Simply unbelievable.

• PinkFloydActuary's Profile Photo

Brennan's: Deciding is the hardest part

by PinkFloydActuary Written Jul 7, 2012
    Foster away!

Brennan's is an interesting place in the middle of the French Quarter. We called ahead since we had a party of nine, and they were able to seat us with no problem on the 15 minutes notice.

The restaurant is built in what appears to be a former house, with dining area's scattered throughout the first floor. Our waiter team was very attentive, and could answer any question we threw at him, and was quite willing to offer suggestions when prompted. And suggestions were needed, because Brennan's has a huge menu. If you go with the four course meal, you have to make some tough decisions four times over.

First course is the soup - there are several selections, although they recommend the Turtle Soup (which of course, was an additional charge.) Next is salad, the easiest of the bunch. There's a fairly extensive set of offerings for the main course, and I had narrowed it down to Shrimp Creole or Shrimp Samantha. Our waiter suggested the Samantha so that I got to try the Cajun sausage. The sausage was good, but there were a few too many mushrooms in the mix for my liking.

Dessert wasn't much of a choice for me - although Brennan's claims they invented Banana's Foster, I'm not a banana fan, so I went with a delicious chocolate cake instead. Plenty of others at the table and around the room tried the Foster, so you can watch the show.

Overall, this was a good meal, though I walked away feeling it was a tad overpriced.

• Caramia1500's Profile Photo

Brennan's: Don't Miss Brunch at Brennan's!

by Caramia1500 Written Dec 1, 2009

Brennan's is my "Must Go To" restaurant whenever I'm in New Orleans. Dinner is great, but brunch is so fantastically, mouth watering-ly delicious it is a definite "do not miss when in town." The service is impeccable, entertaining and the price fixed brunch menu is to die for. Turtle soup (yes, it is made from real snapping turtles) and bananas foster flambe...I am hungry just thinking about it. Ask for seating in Roy's section. He is a long-time Brennan's waiter and such a character...even the 80 year-old attendant in the ladies bathroom is excuse alone to go to Brennan's. She is simply adorable and full of unsolicited Creole advice, so please, please tip her. Love it. I always take my out of town guests there and it is fairly conveniently located in the French Quarter on Royal and Conti Streets. You'll never have food and service anywhere quite like at Brennan's in New Orleans!

Favorite Dish: Bananas Foster Flambe for dessert...soupy, warm Brandy sauce with carmelized bananas poured over melted vanilla ice cream...almost orgasmic.

• jne7299318's Profile Photo

Brennan's: Get a Great Breakfast Here!

by jne7299318 Updated Apr 14, 2007

i went for breakfast. Glad I did. First i had stawberries served in a bowl of fresh cream. The strawberries were a nice size and the cream was poured over them like you pour milk over cereal. While savoring the strawberries I had a Mimosa. I ordered a Mushroom Omelette. The omelette must have been made with four large eggs. It was loaded with mushrooms. There was a sauce on the omelette which was very good. To wash it all down, I had another Mimosa. By the time I sauntered out of the restuarant, my stomach was full and I was feeling no pain.

The waiter's were very attentive. The restaurant itself was elagantly appointed. I enjoyed my breakfast at Brennan's.

The price rating is for breakfast only.b%

Favorite Dish: The entire meal could be considered a favorite dish.

• BigBlueOne's Profile Photo

Brennan's: Home of Bananas Foster!

by BigBlueOne Updated Mar 25, 2007

Brennan's is very upscale, with excellent food, ambience, and waitstaff.

Favorite Dish: I had the trio combo of a southern baked apple with double cream, eggs hussarde, and bananas foster. Each plate that was brought out was even better than the excellent one that preceded it.

• changeinlatitude's Profile Photo

Brennan's: Spectacular

by changeinlatitude Updated Mar 23, 2006

Brennan's Restaurant

For our early anniversary dinner we went to Brennan's on our second evening. All I can say is it was AWESOME!!!! We had a little table for two in a corner and it was as if we had the place to ourselves. You can either do one of their five course meals, which is way too much food for me, or do the "ala cart" and pick your own, which is what we did.

The restaurant itself is beautifully decorated, the staff was wonderful and the food meal was one of the best I have ever had. Brennan's is definitely a must when you visit New Orleans. The restaurant is just a short walk from the Royal Orleans..

Favorite Dish: I had the filet, medium, with a house salad and baked potato. WONDERFUL!!!

They are also famous for the breakfast, which I will try the next time I am there.

• Hexepatty's Profile Photo

Brennan's: To Die....

by Hexepatty Written Jul 26, 2005

We ate there 100% based on Jadedmuse's website. (And you need to see her website...)

Great Sunday Brunch. View of the Courtyard from the comfort of Air Con... and great food.

Absinthe Suisse. Yum... a great morning beverage! And Oyster Benedict, and naturally, Banana's Forster.

Service wasn't bad, but it wasn't spectacular. In their defense it was a Crowded Busy Sunday. Staff were kind, nice. Not curt, but in no hurry...

Favorite Dish: Everything I ordered was great. Love Oysters, so the oyster benedict was great. Fresh preparation and even though the oysters were fried, they were VERY light and not remotely greasy. I felt LESS GUILTY about eating fried food! ; )

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

Brennan's: Brennan's Sunday brunch

by goingsolo Updated Jun 30, 2005

We'd heard so much about Brennan's during our trip that we decided to spare no expense and treat ourselves to what had been described as the place to go for a New Orleans brunch. In a sense, it was everything that had been promised, but I couldn't help but feel a little disappointed.

Brunch at Brennans is a long standing tradition in New Orleans. People dress up, wait in long lines (even with a reservation) and pay large sums of money to eat in this old world southern environment.

We arrived on a Sunday morning a bit hung over but in our finest, or, at least, the finest that we'd brought along for the trip. There is a nice outdoor garden area that was a perfect place on a sunny February day to sip mimosas and wait for our table. The restaurant was elegant and the service was friendly and attentive. The menu was three or four courses with different selections for each.

It was a delicious, leisurely brunch, but such an overwhelming amount of food that I felt completely stuffed afterwards. Although we enjoyed it and the food was delicious, I couldn't helo but feel that it was a bit overrated. Perhaps that's because it had been so built up before we visited.

Favorite Dish: Eggs benedict, and the baked apples with creme. I think dessert was pretty good too but I was so full at that point that I could barely look at it, let alone attempt to consume it.

• Brennan's: Brunch is the best

by PAnative Written Dec 12, 2004

The ambience and service is first class. They could not do enough to please us. Had the creole onion soup. EXCELLENT followed by the Eggs New Olreans style, 2 poached eggs atop lump crabmeat with a hollandaise sauce. There was so much crabmeat, i wasn't able to finish it. It was all lump with no leg meat here.
    Finished with bananas foster (of course). If you go to New Orleans you have to go here..not to be missed.

We went to 8:00 mass at Immaculate Conception and then walked to Brennans. Got right in without reservations, however, as we were leaving (around 10:30, the place was packed!) So go early Sunday morning or make sure you make reservations!!!

Favorite Dish: Creole Onion Soup
    Eggs New Orleans

Banana Foster

• jadedmuse's Profile Photo

Brennan's: Birthplace of the Bananas Foster

by jadedmuse Updated Aug 7, 2004

Watch the waiter prepare the Bananas Foster

If you have to choose a place for brunch, it's a tough decision between Arnaud's and Brennan's. Personally, I'd move heaven and earth so that I can eat at both places.

Of course, Brennan's is home to the famous Bananas Foster. Nobody can replicate it - I don't care where you go! It's a real treat to watch the waiters concoct it. Whenever I think of Brennan's, I always think "Breakfast at Brennans", although trust me, the lunches and dinners are exquisite here as well.

A "prix fixe" here runs you in the $30s, and includes a choice of appetizer, soup, vegetable, entree, and dessert. Formal attire, reservations.

• moirholj's Profile Photo

Brennan's: Home of the Original Bannana's Foster - YUM!

by moirholj Updated Mar 12, 2004

Brennan's from the outside.

Although Brennan's is famous for its Sunday brunch and breakfasts, I went for a tasty evening meal. Brennan's is an upscale restaurant that is a New Orleans staple. The food, atmosphere and service was exquisite. When the staff discovered that we were there on our honeymoon, we were brought a complimentary bottle of champage! Brennan's is expensive, but worth it. I would certainly return to enjoy their famous Banana's Foster dessert - it was invented at Brennan's so it is the best!

Favorite Dish: Clearly, my favorite dish is the Banana's Foster. Almost as impressive as the taste, is the way the staff prepares it right in front of you. I don't know all of the ingredients, but part of the flare is the burning off of alcohol which sparks a firestorm over your dessert! Watching flambe is always a treat!

• Virtuous_Tourist's Profile Photo

Brennan's: Brennan's, with Moss Antiques next door

by Virtuous_Tourist Written Mar 5, 2004

This is a restaurant that relies on tradition and a long legacy to keep it going.
    The food is great but overpriced and the institution has been emulated by its competitors.

Favorite Dish: Eggs Benedict for Breakfast.
    Chateaubriand Bouquetierre for Dinner.

Save room for the Bananas Foster ($5 extra with entree).

• jglsongs's Profile Photo

Brennan's: Breakfast at Brennan's

by jglsongs Updated Feb 5, 2004
    Brennan's, New Orleans

It might be on every tour group's itinerary, and it might attract the blue-haired types too, but nothing beats breakfast (or really brunch) at Brennan's. The food is wonderful, the service is excellent and always attentive and the atmosphere is very N'awlins.

This is not a place for the budget conscious, but if you're in the Quarter, you've gotta live it up.

Favorite Dish: You can't do any meal without topping it off with their signature (and invention) dish, bananas Foster. The right mix of banana, ice cream and brandy- wow!

• where2next's Profile Photo

Brennan's: Try the Folgers Coffee

by where2next Updated Feb 1, 2004
    Brennan's

The interior has the fine china, etc. that one would expect. What surprised me was that the interior had a courtyard which adds to the ambience.

The Folger's reference, an obscure one at that, is because years ago the company had a series of commercials where they went to famous restaurants. While patrons were drinking coffee and surprise them by saying something like your really drinking Folgers. I think this coffee is still around...anyhow.

Favorite Dish: Brennans is known for Banana's Fosters. I do not recall if I had this or not. I did have a red salmon dish which was pretty good.

Also, I need to give a belated thanks to my relative, Esther Marie, from LaFayette, whom I had visited the day before at which time she gave me some money to enjoy things, and so this was her treat.

• Jmill42's Profile Photo

Brennan's: Southern Elegance

by Jmill42 Updated Jul 12, 2003

Entrance to elegance!

A very lavish experience awaits you at Brennan's. It has been open since 1946, and has become world famous for some of the creations that have come out of their kitchen. Bananas Foster... yep, that was invented right here. The restaurant offers a very romantic setting for dinner, with the candle lit tables and courtyard experience. The have, on hand, over 35,000 bottles of wine to choose from. It has recieved numerous awards, and its prices reflect it. The fixed-price menu for dinner starts at $38.95 for 4 courses. You can add additional items for varying prices. Needless to say, it is a bit expensive, but if you can, you should definitely go. Even if the prices, restrict you from a full dinner, go in the morning and try the bananas foster. It is a MUST!

Important: For eight or more people, Brennan's requires a $200 credit card down payment per table. There is no charge if you cancel within 24 hours of the reservation.

Favorite Dish: Did I mention the bananas foster?

Instant Answers: New Orleans

Comments

Hotels Near Brennan's
4.5 out of 5 stars