Cafe Atchafalaya, New Orleans

• Bunsch's Profile Photo

Cafe Atchafalaya: An excellent introduction to Creole cooking

by Bunsch Updated May 29, 2011

Welcome to the Cafe

So, there's no good category for Creole/soul food. It isn't precisely French, clearly isn't African, so I've opted for "American" and hope you'll visit despite my inability to classify the place. After all, they advertise as "New Orleans' only five-'A' restaurant!" (It took me awhile to figure out this did not refer to the number of stars in a typical guide, but simply to the spelling.) The website says, "nestled quietly in the Upper Garden District" and I suppose that's accurate, but the restaurant itself was hopping on a Wednesday evening of graduation week. We waited for about twenty minutes in the bar -- not a hardship because the beverages were cold and delicious, and there is an interesting divider between the bar and the main restaurant composed entirely of different-sized window frames -- before our table was ready. Then we had some amazing specials, starting with fried oysters. I have to say that everything was excellent. My friend's mango pork tenderloin is a menu standard and if I went again, I'd definitely have it.

Our waiter was a disappointment, however. Although our service was adequate, he seemed to think it would be a compliment to call two older women "girls" and, when our young graduate asked for another glass of wine, he stuck his nose into her glass to determine what she'd had initially. Strange and unhelpful behavior.

I will tell you the single thing which impressed me the most, though. It was late when we finished our meal, and the streets were dark and quiet. The maitre d' insisted on walking the three of us ladies to our car, a block or two away.

Dinner Mon-Sat 5:30pm-10pm
    Sunday dinner ends at 9pm
    Lunch Tuesday - Friday 11am-2:30pm
    Brunch Saturday 11am-2:30pm
    Sunday 10am-2:30pm With Live Music

Instant Answers: New Orleans

Comments

Hotels Near Cafe Atchafalaya
4.0 out of 5 stars