Cafe Beignet, New Orleans

Two locations +1 504-522-6868

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

Café Beignet: breakfast

by mindcrime Written Dec 24, 2010

We had our breakfast here on morning. You’ll see the statues that dominate the entrance as you walk along Bourbon street. There a lot tables at the outdoor patio where you can relax under the blue sky and sometimes you may have a band playing live music next to you. The misting fans helped (a bit) with the high heat.

Although the coffee was great (we also tried it at other locations of Café Beignet) the food was mediocre and a bit pricy.

The location is a very good though especially if your hotel is near Bourbon street (we were staying 2’ away from Café Beignet). It’s a self service place, you go, order, pay and then you find a seat and a guy will come out with your food some minutes later.

They serve different omelettes(mushroom, ham & cheese, veggie or western) for $8, Belgian waffle, French toast or southern breakfast (all of them $8), Of course you can find the usual local New Orleans specialities like red beans & rice, jambalaya or gumbo($8), roast beef po-boy($9) and muffaletta($10)

Behind the statues is a small fountain that you drop a coin, it’s not for good luck but according to a sign there the donations will go to continuing the Musical and Arts Legacy of New Orleans through the curriculum at McDonogh 15 Elementary School.

Caf�� Beignet Caf�� Beignet breakfast at Caf�� Beignet

• Jeff42's Profile Photo

Cafe Beignet: Go Hungry, Leave Hungry

by Jeff42 Updated Sep 24, 2007

(Note: This is the Cafe Beignet at 311 Bourbon Street.)

My first morning in NOLA, I was walking through the French Quarter and stumbled upon this place. It looked nice, with its statues and quaint courtyard. I decided to have breakfast here. Mistake.

I walked up to the counter and asked if they were serving breakfast. The young man behind the counter was extremely polite (probably the owner) and pointed out the menu to me. I chose the Western Omelette and 2 large OJs, $14.67 total.

I sat at one of the outdoor tables and waited only a few minutes for my food to be brought out to me. One of the helpers sat a plastic basket with my food on the table. I was shocked. I wished I had taken a photo but I will try to describe the scene to you...

I have never seen an omelette this small before. It was about 3 1/2-4 inches square and about 1-1 1/2 inches high. It came with a small container of grits, the size that tar tar sauce or extra mayo would come in at a restaurant, about 3 oz. size. It also came with 2 of the smallest pieces of french bread I have ever seen. I didn't even know they baked bread that small, 2-3 bites each. This meal was more like a snack. At the time, I was very hungry and a little hung over so I didn't complain. I really needed to eat, even if it was just a snack.

One thing I should mention, the ingrediants were all very fresh and tasty in my omelette. No complaint there, just too little food for a grown man.

Favorite Dish: The OJ was great, tasted fresh squeezed and probably was.

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Cafe Beignet - Two French Quarter Locations

by Ewingjr98 Written Sep 27, 2011

When I visited New Orleans in late 2011, I arrived early, took a cab to the French Quarter and was in need of a good breakfast. Around 9am, I took a stroll down Royal Street and found Cafe Beignet, a small but popular breakfast spot with a comfortable and casual outside dining area. Inside the cafe almost looks like an old subway station, with brick walls, and an arched brick ceiling. The abundant windows, do provide a light, airy feel to the restaurant, however.

I made my way to the cashier's area and ordered a coffee and a crawfish omelet then found a seat at one of the small tables inside. The food arrived within less than 10 minutes, despite the large breakfast crowd. The omelet was a bit expensive at $10, but it was packed with spicy and delicious crawfish, bell pepper, tomatoes & Swiss cheese. It was also served with great French bread and bland grits (Aren't all grits bland?).

After a quick meal I made my way down the street to St. Louis Cemetery #1, coffee in hand.

Cafe Beignet has two locations, the original on Royal Street, and a second location just a block or two away on Bourbon Street at Musical Legends Park.

Inside Cafe Beignet Cafe Beignet from Royal Street Crawfish Omelet Cafe Beignet Cafe Beignet coffee

• Hermanater's Profile Photo

Cafe Beignet: Great place for afternoon jazz

by Hermanater Written Nov 18, 2011

Named after a French pastry/doughnut cross and covered with icing sugar. This open air cafe serves breakfast lunch and dinner. During the afternoon there is a 3 piece band that plays. The band is called Steamboat Willie Jazz Band. This was our intro to New Orleans since we just arrived and wanted to hear some music.

It was so relaxing having a drink in the sun listening to some tunes.

The waitress didn't know how to make a margarita though......

A great place to spend the afternoon.

Favorite Dish: We only had drinks. (which are always good)

• Music

• Cafe Beignet: Great Breakfast!

by smurfy922 Written Aug 18, 2010

The Breakfast items were good but very expensive. The staff however was horrible! Besides being rude and unattentive they all looked like they hadn't taken a bath anytime recently! Many of the lunch items left much to be desired

Favorite Dish: Breakfast sandwich on croissant

• Paul2001's Profile Photo

Cafe Beignet: Bourban Street Tourist Trap Restaurant

by Paul2001 Written Dec 31, 2014

I just wandered into the Café Beignet by happen chance. I was just looking for a place to eat that was not too expensive. Well I got what I paid for because the food here was not good. Nor was the jazz band that played lame old jazz and blues songs. The Café Beignet I visited was very busy, largely because of the two conventions in town and its location on Bourbon Street. I found it quite unremarkable. The only interesting aspect of the evening I spent here was the little frog that was found sitting on top of an unopened bottle of wine.

Instant Answers: New Orleans

Comments

Hotels Near Cafe Beignet
4.0 out of 5 stars