Cafe Maspero, New Orleans

by Tom_In_Madison
  • yankeepeddler's Profile Photo

Cafe Mespero: Cheap, but that's about it

by yankeepeddler Written Mar 28, 2011

Cafe Mespero is relatively cheap, but you get what you pay for. I ordered the French Onion soup for lunch that arrive luke warm with the cheese pretty much a solid block. My wife ordered a hamburger, my son ordered the chicken sandwich. Both were dried out and cold - and this was at 12:30. My advice - pony up the extra money and go somewhere else. We've eaten here twice and the food is simply not good, regardless of the price.

Favorite Dish: We have yet to find a well prepared meal

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

Cafe Maspero: Budget Friendly in the Big Easy!

by TravellerMel Updated Aug 19, 2009

Shingle on Decatur St.

I love this place! Whenever I have out-of-state company, I always take them here. The restaurant usually has a wait - out the door along the front. Don't let it deter you unless it is already to the corner - the line moves fairly fast. Once inside, you can see it is old-style New Orleans - beaten wooden tables and chairs, rough wood planks in the walls, etc. But you can't beat the ambiance! During the summer, the storm windows are open so you get a nice breeze. Most of the food is fried, but that's OK. And compared with other places in the Quarter, the prices are low.

Favorite Dish: I LOVE the fried shrimp po-boys - enough falls out to make another sandwich! I also like the French Onion Soup. The $1 daquiries are good - but small (hey, you get what you pay for!). The unsweetened iced tea is wonderful!

• Architecture

• Tom_In_Madison's Profile Photo

Cafe Maspero: Great food, low prices, great location

by Tom_In_Madison Written Jun 25, 2008

It tasted better than it looks!

This has a great location on Decatur St, a block from Jackson Square—but it doesn’t take advantage of that with inflated prices or mediocre food (like the place on Decatur and St Peter does—don’t go there!). I had a plate of red beans and rice, with a small salad and a soda—total bill $8.75. It has a nice big room with dark wooden chairs and tables. There’s a nice long bar and it has real good air conditioning too.

• maestrousmc's Profile Photo

Cafe Maspero: Local fare in the middle of it all

by maestrousmc Updated Apr 26, 2008

Another New Orleans institution, Cafe Maspero provides a casual setting on Decatur to sample some of the local standards. Quite touristy and far from the best poboys and red beans around, the staff is less friendly and personal as its location lures in its fair share of tourists. The poboys aren't "over stuffed" and relatively speaking, the portions are meager. However, you do get what you paid for.

I go there for the convenience.

Favorite Dish: Try the catfish poboy and a cup of red beans knowing there are better versions out there.

• DG4ever's Profile Photo

Cafe Maspero: Arrive early for lunch!

by DG4ever Updated May 28, 2007

I've gone here every time i go to N.O. My godmother lives in the French Quarter (40 years). The prices haven't seemed to change- it's very reasonable. Ignore the view of the kitchen- these biker-look guys are great cooks!
    It's across the street from the Jackson Street Brewery on the same street as the Cafe Du Monde.

Favorite Dish: Fried Oyster Po-Boy (a type of sandwich served with either hard, crusty bread or soft, buttered toasty bread- this one is the soft, best kind) with the table condiment creole mustard!
    Also, I get the French Onion soup. Good sweet iced tea , too.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Cafe Maspero: Vegetarian Muffalatta

by grandmaR Updated Oct 16, 2005

Vegetarian Muffulatta

We came in here for dinner one night. The place was crowded with folks who were partying (third picture). It was very noisy.

You have to pay in cash - they don't take credit cards.

Favorite Dish: One of the New Orleans specialties is muffuletta, which is a sandwich with shrimp and sausage and various kinds of cheese topped with an olive salad. Since I don't care for sausage much, I decided to have a vegetarian one of those. Well I don't like the green olive salad either (I like the ripe olives, but don't like the green ones), and it was primarily swiss cheese which is my least favorite cheese, so I didn't care much for this either. I also got a side salad and that proved to also be topped with swiss cheese (see last photo)

• gblinda's Profile Photo

Cafe Maspero: Chili Cheeseburgers!

by gblinda Updated Apr 19, 2005

Awesome chili cheeseburgers here, you'll probably need a knife and fork. Only complaint is that has been Vince Neil came in after us, sat down and was served before us even though they had a larger party and more food. He stiffed the waitress on a tip on top of it.

Great food, but come on, getting snubbed over Vince Neil? Bad...at least I tipped!

• much2do's Profile Photo

Cafe Maspero: Best Hot French Bun Sanwiches in Town, cheap

by much2do Written Feb 2, 2005

Great building across fro Jax's Brewery, Sandwiches are so stacked with meat and cheese, you can't eat the whole thing. Under $7.00 to boot. Also great shrimp and oyster poboys as well as the best calamari I have ever had. 5 stars on price and food and location.

Favorite Dish: Muffaletta

• bcorbitt's Profile Photo

Cafe Maspero: Small cafe, bring cash

by bcorbitt Written Jan 5, 2005

The line snaking out the door tells you of the popularity with tourist and locals. The prices are reasonable and the food is great for a lunch. They have cheap beer and good sandwiches and the service was quick as you would expect as they have people waiting for the table. If my memory serves me they only take cash but the meals are not that expensive so no big deal. Do get one of your lunches here during your trip.

Favorite Dish: The PO boy and the fish were both good and fries are well fries.

• Cafe Maspero. I'm not sure if...

by BigXey Written Aug 26, 2002

Cafe Maspero. I'm not sure if that's spelled right.
    It's on the French Quarter and it's pretty cheap compared to other places. It's a laid back little cafe and it looks really cool. The meal was like $8 total, which is good, because that's more money for drinking.

Favorite Dish: Definitely the muffalatta. I hate olives and I still ate it. Just make sure you get there at an odd time because it gets REAL busy.

Instant Answers: New Orleans

Comments

Hotels Near Cafe Maspero
4.5 out of 5 stars