Cochon, New Orleans

5 out of 5 stars 3 Reviews

930 Tchoupitoulas St, New Orleans, LA 70130 +1 504-588-2123

• Cochon
    by maestrousmc
    Matches and litterature. . . :)
    by kokoryko
    Sign, you cannot miss!
    by kokoryko
  • kokoryko's Profile Photo

Cochon: Dans le cochon, tout est bon !

by kokoryko Written Jul 22, 2011

During a walk around noon in Warehouse district, my nose was titillated by some pleasant smells, and looking around I spotted this Cochon where from they came; I decided I MUST have a dinner there!
    When I arrived there the following evening, the employees told me I should have reserved, and I had to wait at the bar till a table gets free, and I began to drink a draught beer when suddenly a firm hand hit my shoulder and “Heyyyy! Hermann!!!. . . etc. . .” Kjell-B. J., a very good Norwegian colleague I know since 15 years, greeted me and invited me to his table where he celebrated his birthday with a bunch of other geoscientist colleagues. His company paid the dinner, so we did not refrain from ordering what we felt the best food and the best wines; we sat at a long table on the sidewalk of the street, in the cool breeze of N-O.
    The staff is excellent, there, as they know what is served (food or wine), explain a bit of Cajun food secrets, give good advice about wines, and are quite swift.
    I decided for some “exotic” food, like fried alligator with chilli and garlic, catfish. . . . Don’t remember what I had for desert, but if you get easily water in your mouth when reading about food, have a look at the Website. Californian Sauvignon and Cabernet and other wines were on the table. We had a wonderful dinner and this (and one of the lady colleagues) even convinced me to go the night away in one of the Bourbon street music bars.
    Well, a nice evening at this restaurant I cannot do less than recommend, but make a reservation, it can be crowded on evenings!

Sign, you cannot miss! Matches and litterature. . . :)
    • Music
    • Festivals

• HasTowelWillTravel's Profile Photo

Cochon: Tremendous Southern Cooking

by HasTowelWillTravel Written Apr 23, 2009

Cochon is a quite an experience. The chefs specialize in Southern cuisine with a Cajun/New Orleans twist. The light wood paneling across the room helps lighten up the mood lighting, which makes the whole place large and social yet intimate at the same time. Reservations are recommended, but not mandatory... we walked in on a Tuesday night with a party of 5 and had no delays.

It was a great place to eat. The dishes were well-proportioned, perfect for a meal with room for dessert. I highly recommend it to all looking for sophisticated Southern cuisine.

Favorite Dish: The food is fantastic. I had rabbit and dumplings which came in an iron skillet and was absolutely delicious. I supplemented it with a side of mac and cheese which was done to perfection, creamy and filling. Others in my party had a fried soft-shell crab (so big it took up the whole plate), savory ribs with watermelon pickle, green tomato and crawfish souflee, and a few other dishes whose name I don't remember. All was terrific.

Desserts were quite a range. The two most surprising were the root beer parfait, which was light and fluffy and made from real roots, and the strawberry pie, which consisted of a light strawberry mouse, cookie crust and real strawberries on the top. The cakes were all wonderful as well.

• Wine Tasting
    • Luxury Travel

• maestrousmc's Profile Photo

Cochon: An upscale barnyard experience for all things Pig

by maestrousmc Written May 9, 2008

Yes. Yes. Yes. The only establishment I've marked as "A Great Experience."

The website says, "Cochon showcases the food Donald Link grew up preparing and eating at his grandfather's side. A descendant of Germans of Acadiana, Chef Link brings his love for authentic Cajun cuisine to New Orleans."

Cochon (French for pig) was featured on Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations, inspiring and thus luring me to this great establishment. The server told us that pigs are butchered daily in their kitchen and - as the menu showcased - every part is used. In this restaurant where modern design meets traditional Southern fare and decor, appetizers as pigs cheeks accompanied by (heavenly) corn cakes as well as battered and fried pigs ears can be enjoyed. We also had the wood smoked oysters. I have to say that they were oh-so-delectable. For my main course, my partner and I shared two entrees: the louisiana cochon with turnips and the smoked beef brisket with horseradish potato salad. Try the citrus mojito with your meal and afterwards one of their many not-so-ordinary moonshine selections.

A great experience

Favorite Dish: You have to try the Louisiana cochon with turnips and cabbage. It highlights everything that they are. Once again, a truly great experience.

Instant Answers: New Orleans