Coop's Place, New Orleans

entrance of Coop’s Place
    food at Coop’s Place
  • Coop's Place: WORST SERVICE EVER - Stay Away

by Francisco84 Written Mar 28, 2015

If you like respectful, friendly, and polite service when dining out, STAY AWAY from Coop’s Place. In my many many experiences, this was by far the worst experience I ever had.

To give a clearer idea of what happened, here’s the description how my dinner at Coop’s Place unfolded:

After waiting in line for about 45 minutes, a waiter asked if both my partner and I would mind sitting on the bar, to which we said yes;
    After sitting, the waiter - Trista - gave us the menu and asked what we wanted to drink;
    We then ordered a Taster Plate to share as appetizer and 2 Jambalaya Supreme; up to this point, there were no major issues, but it changed rapidly;
    We then waited more than 40 minutes for any food to arrive;
    The first thing that arrived was a Gumbo bowl, part of the taster plate; however, the rest of the dish was nowhere to be seen;
    20 minutes later our mains came;
    We told Trista about the taster plate, who chased it.
    After all this, the best part came in the end: after getting the bill, around 45$, we put down $50, and Trista comes to me and says the following: “In this country, we have costumes. Do you know what that is? 15% tip is the minimum acceptable.” This came as a complete shock. Never have I had such an experience.

In addition to patronising, the way Trista addressed me was rude and disrespectful and no paying costumer should ever be treated like that. I paid what I paid and felt it was fair. She shouldn’t question me or address me like that. If things were bad, it just made it even worse.

To finish, if clients continue to be treated like I was treated, Coop’s Place won’t be in business for long. The recent reviews this place has been receiving is indicative that something is definitely wrong.

There are lot’s of other and better places to eat well and be treated well, so look for them and stay away from this place.

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

Coop’s Place: Coop’s Place

by mindcrime Written Dec 24, 2010

Coop’s Place is a small, down to earth bar with friendliest staff we met in New Orleans. A lot of people (the locals) like to stand at the bar and have their dinner there but we preferred a table next to the wall (like most of the visitors), the wooden tables give a nice touch to this casual and definitely not fancy place, a cute place with a laid back vibe. The waitress came with a big smile, give us some info on the menu and we made the order.

We enjoyed our beer and coke till the food started to arrive with a bit of delay I can say. But we liked the atmosphere and we didn’t really care, it was funny when another waiter came with this easy-going style and asked where is our food! :)

Most of the plates come in different sizes (small medium and big). So, we had Gumbo cup ($5.25 it was more spicy than expected), jamboyala bowl ($7.25 delicious) shrimp remoulade salad ($8.25 just ok), red beans and rice with sausage ($8.25 great, we had some really bad ones elsewhere in town) French fries ($4.25) and as I said abita beer($3.5) diet coke ($1.5).

The bill came up to $45 with the tip, I think this place has really reasonably priced Cajun food.

Coop���s Place interior food at Coop���s Place entrance of Coop���s Place

• HasTowelWillTravel's Profile Photo

Coop's Place: Local, Friendly, and Fun

by HasTowelWillTravel Written Apr 23, 2009

Coop's is a small place on the far side of the French Quarter, which is delightfully far from most of the crowds. This place packs a whollop, pretty popular with locals. There was line outside in which everyone was from New Orleans, we were the only ones outside. There's no reservations or name-placing, you just hang out in line and wait for a table. Or you can sit at the bar, which is entertaining.

Favorite Dish: I had the fried chicken, which was old-fashioned delicious. 3 pieces, with home-made slaw and rabbit and sausage jambalaya. The other dish, which my friends had, was a 5-set taster platter, with fried chicken, the jambalaya, seafood gumbo, and two other items.

Looking into Coop's
    • Beer Tasting

• Coop's Place: The Best Bar Food and fun, in N.O!!

by iron427 Written Feb 18, 2008

We travel to New Orleans every other year, and as in all our travels, we seek out places that are real, down to earth, off the tourist path. Coop's is all that and more. A dimly lit tavernly atmosphere, awesome food, and drink. Nice people, real people. Great beer and Scotch selection as well. Don't expect to go there and get your tourist butt kissed, this place is for locals and non-bead wearing visiters. Be real, and be very happy!!!!

Favorite Dish: All the food rocks. My favorite thing here is a simple beer: Anchor Liberty Ale, from San Fransisco. Good.

• hackenbush's Profile Photo

Coop's Place: Bar food , excellent

by hackenbush Written Jun 18, 2007

When my beloved wife treats me to Commanders for lunch, I balance out the day with dinner at Coop's. It's a bar. It's got a shrine to a flight attendant, a juke box, tv,smoke, chalk board with some specials (or maybe the entire menu) and real people. I sat and listened to two hours of Sinatra one night played by some guy who was crying at the corner of the bar. I love Sinatra , but I believe he had other reasons for the song selections.

Favorite Dish: Good jambalaya and a surprisingly good burger one night. It's bar food, but better than you'll get at most bars.

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Coop's Place: Coop's Place - Decatur St

by Ewingjr98 Updated Nov 30, 2006

Just a local dive, Coop's has some great Cajun/Creole meals. When I arrived around 8pm, the dinner crowd still had the place packed. I found a table in the corner by the jukebox and soaked up the atmosphere until the busy bartender/waiter made his way over. With no Abita on tap, I settled for a Corona then I ordered their sampler with gumbo, shrimp creole, fried chicken, red beans and rice, and rabbit and sausage jambalaya. The food was spectacular, though I got worried when I saw the scary cook with the 20+ facial piercings, tattoos, and the serious skin problems... not to mention the fact that she was petting the dog in the bar and hauling out the trash in between trips to the kitchen. I just hope she washed her hands... maybe it'll hit me later.

I returned to Coops when I made my next trip to New Orleans in late August. This time the restaurant was not so busy, they had Abita on tap, and the waiter/bartender was very friendly and tossing a few jokes our way (what is the name of the crab? ... Claude or Clawed... ha ha ha). A better experience than my first trip, and the food was just as good.

Inside Coops Outside Coops Coop The bar

Instant Answers: New Orleans

Comments

Hotels Near Coop's Place
4.0 out of 5 stars