Crescent City Brewhouse, New Orleans

3.5 out of 5 stars 3.5 Stars - 9 Reviews

527 Decatur St. 504-522-0571

• On the balcony at the Crescent City Brewhouse
    On the balcony at the Crescent City...
    by Jefie
    D enjoys her first oysters
    by richiecdisc
  • The Red Stallion went well with raw oysters
    The Red Stallion went well with raw...
    by richiecdisc
  • Jefie's Profile Photo

Crescent City Brewhouse: Loved my balcony dining experience!

by Jefie Updated Jun 2, 2011

Crispy chicken salad & Pasta jambalaya

We arrived in New Orleans on a Monday and things were reasonably tamed at first - or at least, as tamed as Bourbon Street will ever be! - but by Thursday night you could definitely tell that weekend was just around the corner and things were coming in full swing. We had to walk for quite some time to find a place to eat where we wouldn't have to stand in line for an hour, and that's how we ended up at the Crescent City Brewhouse. The main reason why we didn't have to wait is because the place is fairly big. They brew their own beer, the menu features a nice selection of salads, sandwiches and local cuisine, and there's jazz music every night, which makes for a really nice atmosphere. We were given the choice between waiting for a table on the main floor or eating out on the balcony - we chose the balcony, and we didn't regret it: we could hear the live jazz band playing downstairs while watching boats float down the Mississippi River, it almost felt like our New Orleans experience wouldn't have been complete without that dinner! We'd had our fair share of beer by then so instead of tasting one of their locally brewed beers (which are supposed to be quite good) we ordered a bottle of Californian wine, and that went really well with my tasty Cobb salad. So all in all, even though I'm sure some might say there are better restaurants in the French Quarter, our dinner at the Crescent City Brewhouse turned out to be a pretty fantastic one!

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Crescent City Brewing: pricey but worth a stop

by richiecdisc Written May 4, 2009

The Red Stallion went well with raw oysters

One place that was on my list of must drinks was Crescent Brewing. I had been there on my first trip to town but was unable to drink anything due to a bad case of food poisoning. I wasn't hard pressed at the time as they were noted for Germanic style beers and having just returned from the Pacific Northwest I had been converted to a Hop Head of sorts. The beers would have likely seemed bland to me at the time. Since then, I have not only traveled extensively in Germany but married a German woman so I now can say I know German beer. This was a chance to try some American recreations of the styles. This is right in the heart of the French Quarter and considered a fine dining eatery as well as brewpub so it is pricey. It has the classic big shuttered windows that are common in the Quarter and high ceilings which makes for an uncrowded feeling.

We got seats right at the bar and ordered a Weissbier and a Red Stallion. The former was a great example of a Bavarian Wheat beer with an unfiltered honey hue and massive yeasty head. The biscuit palate had some banana overtones and overall it was a very quaffable brew. The Stallion was an amber beauty with massive white fluffy head. Brewed in the Märzen or Vienna Style lager, this spicy, malty brew had just enough hops to make for a semi-dry finish that begged you to have another.

Favorite Dish: Though we'd just had a decent size lunch, as chance would have it, there was an oyster shucker working at a frantic pace behind the bar. He obviously knew what he was doing and this place was selling a lot of oysters. I have loved raw oysters since I my grandfather made me try one as a child. Not that I developed the taste that day but I developed a need to try new things, especially when it comes to food. But I got food poisoning the last time I'd been in New Orleans and as well as I can place it the blame was on raw oysters from a dubious establishment. It took me about five years before I had another and I still shied away from them unless the establishment seemed very busy, specifically serving oysters. Well, this place filled the bill and since my wife had never tried it seemed like our plans not to eat were squashed. They were served in no time after we watched him shuck them like a pro. They looked, smelled and tasted beautifully. They also went surprisingly well with the Stallion. Luckily, opted for just a half dozen though we could have eaten twice as many each as when the bill came out it was $30 for two beers and a half dozen oysters!

Surprisingly, we returned the next day as there were two more beers I wanted to try. The Black Stallion was a great example of a Munich Dunkles beer, ruddy brown with a rocky head. Chocolate malt with just enough hops to dry out the finish, another quaffer. The Pilsner was a light bodied and colored brew with a fluffy head and flowery hop nose. Dry but not overly bitter, a good example of a German Pils. These very high quality brews do come at a premium price not due just to the ingredients but also to the location of their outlet right in the French Quarter. At about $8 a pop, it's not exactly the place I'd want as my local pub.

• Cresent City Brewhouse: Cresent City Poohouse

by bellatrix826 Written Feb 9, 2009

We chose this restaurant because it is a brewery. However, they should not be allowed to brew beer. Just because you can does not mean you should. The darker beers are watery and flavorless. The Pilsner was particularly skunky. They also cost $7.50 a piece, which is not listed on the menu.
    The service is extremely slow; the waiters are inattentive.
    Upon receiving the food, it was cold. From simple burgers to the Pasta Jambalaya, the cooking is inept, if not dangerous. The Pasta Jambalaya had a runny sauce (mainly water) and an odd flavor to it, which later turned out to be bad seafood. It did not taste very good the first time, so getting to experience it all again was not pleasant. $70 and two hours of wretching later, I cannot recommend it.

Favorite Dish: Nothing! Do not waste your money.

• Crescent City Brewhouse: A Delightful Find

by stephm99 Updated May 21, 2008

A little pricey, but you should expect that in the French Quarter. You can get a burger for about 10 bucks. My BLT was 12. That being said, that was the best BLT I've EVER had. It wasn't even really like a BLT with the basil and avocado and creamy white cheese.

The beer was quite good. I have a feeling a lot of ppl don't appreciate dark or hoppy beer. My husband brews beer so a little bit more discerning that your average Bud Light drinker. The prices on beer weren't nearly what we expected, either; they were quite reasonable.

Favorite Dish: The BLT was awesome. My husband liked his burger as well as the one he had at Snug Harbor, which supposedly has NOLA's best burgers.

• maestrousmc's Profile Photo

Crescent City Brewhouse: Microbrewery in the Quarter

by maestrousmc Updated Apr 25, 2008

Located on Decatur Street, this brew house amidst other touristy eateries in the French Quarter is home to good medium-priced food and - of course - beer. From classic burgers served with sweet potato chips to my personal favorite, the fried oyster club ( good God it's good) this is the ultimate in upscale-ish bar food. Needless to say the beer is a must. Should you be indecisive while deciding which libation to partake they offer a sample with all their brews.

Favorite Dish: The Oyster Club is a MUST!

• cosmogypsy's Profile Photo

Crescent City Brewhouse: This Brewery Should be MISSED!

by cosmogypsy Updated Sep 2, 2007

My travel companion and I decided to go to this brewery because we were given coupons for buy one dinner get one free. Well, we sent both dinners back and left to find another restaurant. It was awful! I ordered an oyster po-boy, and there was grit all in the sandwich. My friend ordered a shrimp dish that she categorized as inedible. There was nothing redeemable about this restaurant.

The beer wasn't very good either.

• bcorbitt's Profile Photo

Crescent City Brewhouse: Microbrew in Jackson Square

by bcorbitt Updated Jan 5, 2005

I am a fan of microbrews so am biased toward them so probably give this a higher rating then it deserves. The location is great as it is has a nice second story balcony that give great viewing of the street below. The food was good but a little pricey. Service was below average as it took forever for even the beer to show up. The beers were okay nothing say as good as Heartland brewery in New York but in line with the chain stores and Hops or Rock bottom.

Favorite Dish: Nothing jumped out from the menu. You come for the beer.

• Crescent City Brewhouse: Crescent City Brewhouse

by peach93 Updated Apr 24, 2004

Brewhouse Exterior

The only brew pub in the French Quarter, the Crescent CIty Brewhouse offers a fine variety of handcrafted beers and food that is a cut above the usual brew pub fare. The restaurant is spread out over two floors, both with a bar and live music. The upstairs offers outdoor balcony dining. If you just want to stop in for something quick, you can sit at the bar and enjoy a beer with your choice of oysters on the half shell or peel and eat shrimp. The atmosphere here is on the elegant side for a brewery, a definate plus, but the only bathroom in the building is located on the second floor up a flight of stairs--inconvienient after you've had a couple of 20 oz. drafts, and I am also unsure where this would leave anyone who confined to a wheelchair or who otherwise could not climb staris.

Favorite Dish: My favorite is the Weiss beer. Try it with a lemon slice. Their salads are excellent if you want something light. I like the one with shrimp and crabmeat. Their burgers and fish are also good and often come with sweet potato chips.

• Beer Tasting

• moirholj's Profile Photo

Crescent City Brewhouse: A recent culinary discovery

by moirholj Updated Apr 12, 2004

Enjoy one-of-a-kind Beer at this microbrewery!!

While looking for a new place to try on my 3rd trip to New Orleans, I visited the Cresent City Brewhouse. Of course I am very big on trying new beers whenenver I get the chance, and this brewery didn't dissappoint at all. I always favor Weiss Beer, and the one served up here was quite good. The food here was also surprisingly wonderful, as I've found that most breweries spend so much effort perfecting their beers that their food usually falls into the 'about average' category.

Favorite Dish: Although it is not listed in their online menu at the moment, I believe we had the special of the day which was Duck Quesadillas for an appetizer, and a tasty duck dinner as well.

• Beer Tasting

Instant Answers: New Orleans

Comments

Hotels Near Crescent City Brewhouse
3.5 out of 5 stars