Deanie's, New Orleans

Don't leave without trying this
    by ChrisSheena
    deanie's seafood
    by doug48
  • Collage of restaurant, kitchen door and oysters
    Collage of restaurant, kitchen door and...
    by grandmaR
  • pamstravels's Profile Photo

Deanie's: Bloody Mary's and BBQ Shrimp

by pamstravels Updated Apr 4, 2011

Latest fashion statement

Deanie's was recommended to us and we wasted no time finding this place! The meal that was recommended was the BBQ Shrimp. What was funny is they wern't shrimp at all, they had to have been prawns, enormous...and messy. They give you bib's to wear, but no clothes to wash off your hands.

Here is the menu description:

Barbecue Shrimp
    The New Orleans way, Jumbo head-on Shrimp sautéed in our unique blend of seasonings. This is for the hands-on eater, so don't be afraid to get messy. Just peel, dip and enjoy!

Favorite Dish: The bread pudding was small and sweet, just enough after a big meal.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Deanie's Seafood: Boiled Potatoes Substitute for Rolls

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011

Collage of restaurant, kitchen door and oysters

We asked the girl at the desk for another recommendation for a restaurant, and she told us about Deanie's. Their first restaurant was in Metaire and this is a second location.

Deanies is a big place and they give you a lot of food at very reasonable prices. In the corner there were apparently slot machines (which are called gaming devices here because there is no gambling allowed), and the sign next to the area said that the doors had to remain closed at all times and that persons under 18 were not allowed to see the devices and those under 21 were not allowed to play them.

Favorite Dish: At the beginning of the meal they brought us a dish of boiled new potatoes and butter instead of rolls. Bob had a dozen raw oysters (some of them pictured) for $8.95 and a house salad ($3.95), and I had the crawfish quartet ($14.95) which was crawfish fixed 4 ways - au gratin, fried tails, etouffee and crawfish dressing balls. I couldn't eat it all and brought it home, along with the bread pudding ($4.25) that I got for dessert. Our bill before tip was $40.15

• Virtuous_Tourist's Profile Photo

Deanie's: Shrimp, Catfish, Oysters, Crawfish, and Crabs

by Virtuous_Tourist Written Mar 5, 2004

Deanie's now has a second location (the one shown here) to cater to the tourist and convention crowd.
    The original one is out by the Lake (Pontchartrain) in Metairie.
    The restaurant is famous for its large portions, bordering on obscene.
    The seafood is fresh, with an emphasis on fried items.
    Overall Deanies provides a decent option for the hungry.

Favorite Dish: The seafood platter, enough for 3 or 4 people.

• doug48's Profile Photo

deanie's: seafood

by doug48 Updated Apr 4, 2011

deanie's seafood

deanie's is a local seafood restaurant with four locations in new orleans. the deanie's in the french quarter is an excellent value especially for families and tourists on a budget. very good cajun dishes and local seafood moderately priced.

• Deanie's: Outstanding!!!

by kacee999 Written Dec 11, 2012

Just got back from a train trip (!!!) to New Orleans. Ate at Deanie's two nights in a row. Outstanding seafood and a LOT OF IT! You HAVE to try their crawfish dressing balls. They are to die for. Would love to have the recipe. Mmmmmmmmm!!!

Favorite Dish: Fried shrimp, fried catfish, crawfish dressing balls, crab fingers! MMMMMMMMM

• leo.weeks's Profile Photo

Deanie's Seafood: Excellent Locals Favorite!

by leo.weeks Updated Apr 4, 2011

One of the best seafood places in New Orleans. More for local businessmen and families who want a huge amount of food for decent price. Wife and I visited the city I grew up in and told an old friend we wanted some good seafood other than our usual eating spot "Cafe Maspero". He suggested Deanie's as it was a short walk from his office. When we arrived I was wary because it looked like a place full of well dressed businessmen. I was right, but they weren't the only ones there. The food is excellent! My wife always gets the "crab four ways" or somthing like that. I always share some with her and I get the seafood platter, usually fried oysters and fried shrimp. In season also get a couple pounds of crawfish for an appetizer. You will have leftovers unless you share one meal, but it is all too good to do that! We have now eaten there about 20 times and will be eating there again the weekend of the 18th April. Get a fresh Abita Beer on tap and loosen your belt!
    UPDATE APRIL 2009!!!!!!!---Wife and I met friends there weekend of 13 april and the food was HORRIBLE! crawfish was the blandest I have ever had, potato's were tiny and tasteless, all around really really bad, I am sorry to say this but this is no longer my favorite seafood place in NewO! I might give them one more chance, but it doesn't look good.

Favorite Dish: free spicy potato appetizer, crawfish,Crab Balls (way better than any stuffed crab I have ever had!), Crab Au Gratin, fried Shrimp, fried Oysters

• Deanie's: Good portions of seafood for a good price

by Alegria3k Updated Apr 4, 2011

When you walk in, Deanie's looks like a cafeteria only it has a full service bar instead of a food line. The dining area is spacious. Both times I ate there, the service was good. The waiters were prompt and friendly. The restaurant is clean and not too noisy. *** It's not what I would call a "unique New Orleans" experience, but it was good food.

Favorite Dish: I ordered the seafood boil which, at that time of year, included shrimp and large blue crab but no crawfish. Be sure to specify how many pounds of shrimp (I got half a pound) and how many crabs (I got 2) that you want. I also ordered some raw oysters. A friend who joined me for dinner ordered the crab salad. For lunch, you are brought spicy red potatoes to snack on while you wait for your food; for dinner, you are brought French bread. The potatoes were delicious. The bread was ordinary. My friend was impressed with the amount of crab that came on her crab salad. She enjoyed her meal. I was impressed with the spice on my seafood boil, tasty and not too spicy hot. I was also impressed with the size of the shrimp; they use medium to large shrimp. The shrimp were a little hard to peel both times I ate there but maybe it's the way it was cooked. The oysters came with seafood sauce, horseradish, and lemons. The oysters were cut from the shell so that I did not have to separate them before eating (not all restaurants seem to do that).

• Deannie's: BBQ shrimp appetizer- OMG

by codeman5279 Written Oct 15, 2011

Everytime we get to New Orleans we have to eat there- more than once. The red potatotoes instead of bread- spicey and fabulous. I love the spinach salad with oysters. But OMG I tried the BBQ shrimp and it was to die for. Used the french bread stick to soak up the sauce- couldn't get enough of it. Have never had a meal that wasn't so good I couldn't wait to come back to town to order it again!

Favorite Dish: The BBQ shrimp appetizer- even though the shrimp have the heads on- which I am not used to - and you have to peel it, once I tasted it- I couldn't get enough. I didn't care how messy I got and I used the bread to soak up every drop of the sauce. My son had ordered it before and I am just sad I didn't try it then!

• Huey's Diner: Forget IT

by Tourist11801 Written Mar 6, 2005

We happened to be staying in a hotel directly across the street from this establishment so we gave it a try-- Warning- DON'T do it-- This place is awful- Dirty looking-check out the open cooking area, especially behind the grill- This place is the sort that gives greasy spoons a bad name. "Service" is lacking- Waiter got the order wrong, even though I repeated what I wanted several times. When it finally arrived it tasted like it was cooked in rancid oil. We noticed at an adjourning table a couple patiently waited for their food ( service is spotty, folks arriving after you sometimes were being served their food before you got yours- and I'm talking identical food orders, like burgers)- when the adjourning table finally got their food they took a few bites, looked at the menu, flipped the money on the table and LEFT.. This gives you an idea of the quality here. Do yourself a favor, eat elsewhere.

Favorite Dish: N/A

• larsy's Profile Photo

Deanies: Deanies

by larsy Written Aug 25, 2002

The giant Seafood platters is a Amazing I went with EIGHT people who had not eaten in nearly 24 hours and we all ate off TWO Giant platters and took home TWO full boxes of leftovers. Deanies could never be charged with false advertising they meal truly was GIANT soft shell crabs, fried crabclaws, fried shrimp, fried oysters, crawfishballs, fries and catfish. They also give you baby boiled potatoes and coleslaw before you meal. MMMMMM. It was a 10.

Favorite Dish: Giant seafood platter and Large onion rings

• ChrisSheena's Profile Photo

Deanie's: Don't Miss the Seafood

by ChrisSheena Written Apr 28, 2013
    Don't leave without trying this

You cannot make reservations so be prepared to wait. We visited on a Saturday evening in April about 7:45pm and had an hour wait. There is a bar and room to stand and drink and talk so the wait is quite manageable.

Favorite Dish: Another VT member recommended the Barbeque Shrimp starter - thank you !! We totally concur - these large shrimp are beautifully prepared and the sauce is fantastic. You have to stop yourself licking the bowl having mopped up as much of the sauce as possible with your bread.

• Deanie's: Huge portions-

by Tourist11801 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Finally a place that didn't look like you had to have your shots updated to enter- I don't want to be cruel, but some of the places in the Quarter look like they could use some serious scrubbing- Maybe some folks like the "charm"- but as far as I'm concerned food and dirt don't mix. Anyway, Deanies looks clean and modern by comparison- Servings are HUGE so do listen to what the server suggests- Seafood platter couldn't be eaten by any one person I know. Meal starts with boiled red potatoes brought in a bowl- I selected shrimp, which were excellent, and my non-seafood eating companion had a steak- which was delicious and at 14.00 for the entire meal was a bargain.- Service was excellent- Locals even said this was the place for food of its' sort- They also offer seafood broiled -- which is what I prefer.

Favorite Dish: Huge portions- Shrimp were excellent.

• Deanie's: Barbecue Shrimp

by hawaiidee Written Sep 9, 2004

Busy, loud and fun, this is a great place to meet friends and have fun. Guys to the left of us were ordering shots and fried oysters, large tables were having birthdays and the place was BOOMING. Not for those looking for a peaceful dinner or intimate setting. But great food and HUGE portions!

Favorite Dish: BARBEQUE SHRIMP: After reading Anne Rice's "Exit to Eden" I had to try barbecue shrimp in NOLA with a cold beer. Our bellman recommended Deanie's and we couldn't be happier! 3 people shared the "Two-person" barbeque shrimp platter. Of course it's barbaric and messy but absolutely divine. Our waitress gave us bibs and after looking around at the other tables, we realized we were the only ones to order the barbeque shrimp because it's so darn messy and juicy and wonderful. Too bad for the others, they should have had the shrimp. With a cold Corona, I couldn't have been happier. The red potatoes that are given at the beginning (in lieu of bread) were very tasty. I'm happy to have found Deanie's and need to find the recipe for the barbeque shrimp!

• spartan's Profile Photo

Deanie's Seafood: The taste of Bucktown

by spartan Updated Feb 2, 2004

Recognized as one of New Orleans' best seafood joints since 1961. In a town famous for great seafood, Deanies is in a class by itself. Their giant seafood platter is loaded with succulent fried oysters, shrimp, catfish, soft-shell crabs, and crawfish balls, and their boiled seafood is New Orleans' best. If you love great tasting seafood, do not wait any longer and go visit Deanie's!!!

Favorite Dish: Unlike other restaurants which start off with bread and butter, Deanie's brings a place of Red Potatoes boiled in crab oil. For dinner, I selected the Stuffed Flounder Platter (crabmeat dressing sandwiched between two fresh flounder filets and broiled to perfection) served with salad and baked potato (you can also choose fries or green beans). As for my drink, I chose Abita's Purple Haze Raspberry Wheat Lager (a crisp, American style wheat beer with raspberry puree added after filtration).

Instant Answers: New Orleans

Comments

Hotels Near Deanie's
4.5 out of 5 stars