Dunbar's Creole Cooking, New Orleans

• Rixie's Profile Photo

Dunbar's Creole Cooking: Down-Home Local Cooking

by Rixie Updated Nov 5, 2008

Lunchtime at Dunbar's, pre-Katrina

The food at Dunbar's is down-home New Orleans cooking -- hearty, tasty, and inexpensive. It offers a casual, cheerful atmosphere and is a great place to eat with friends.

The thing I like best about the restaurant is that so many different types of people eat there; it's a nice mixture of local residents, university students, and tourists. When we had lunch there, a big table in the back was full of New Orleans cops in uniform.

Post-Katrina, Dunbar's reopened in a different location: on the Broadway campus of Loyola University. Lucky students!

Note: Not open on weekends.

Favorite Dish: I had an oyster po' boy (poorboys are sandwiches on long rolls -- called subs or hoagies in other parts of the country). It was delicious but too big for me to finish. The waitress asked me if I wanted it "dressed," and when I looked blank, she explained that it means with lettuce, tomatoes, mayonnaise, etc. I guess that makes more sense than the image of frilly aprons that popped into my head.

The others in my party enjoyed their fried chicken, red beans and rice, and sweet iced tea. The servings are very generous, so make sure you're hungry when you come.

• Virtuous_Tourist's Profile Photo

Dunbar's Creole Cooking: better come hungry

by Virtuous_Tourist Updated Nov 25, 2003

Quantity and qulaity is not a problem at this creole / soul food institution.

"An uptown restaurant thriving on a casual friendly style"

Favorite Dish: Red Beans and Rice and Fried Chicken, the catfish po'boy is pretty good as well

Instant Answers: New Orleans

Comments

Hotels Near Dunbar's Creole Cooking
4.5 out of 5 stars