Indian Food, New Orleans

Indian Rice Pudding
  • grandmaR's Profile Photo

Tandori Chicken: Indian Food

by grandmaR Updated Sep 20, 2005

Bill with inset showing street entrance from above

We tried going to the Fairmont for dinner, but it was too fancy for the limited amount of cold weather clothing we had. So we went across the street and up to the second floor to Tandori Chicken. There was both an elevator and stairs. On this very cold day in mid week, the restaurant was almost empty. I suspect there is more business at lunch. The lunch specials were still posted.

Favorite Dish: I had chicken and spinach curry - it was a bit too hot because I forgot to tell them mild, and nan bread, which was REALLY good but which my picture of it was really horrible and blurry.

Bob had the Tandori chicken. We both had chaii tea to drink which I kind of liked.

I had an Indian rice pudding (pictured - more milky than normal rice pudding, but good) and Bob had a dessert which he described as like hush puppies in sweet sauce (also pictured). It was $39.74 before the tip. In include the bill so you can see what the waiter wrote that we had.

Bob doesn't really like Indian cooking, although I reminded him he had liked it in England. (We neither of us could remember what we had in England.)

• Hookah's Cafe: Side Track from Local Cuisine

by EyRe Written Jun 5, 2004
    Hookah's Cafe

After a while of Po Boys and all those other local cuisine of Creole and Cajun food, I started getting nostalgic for the food back home (being of Sri Lankan descendant although I am third generation Malaysian, home food meant mostly East Indian cuisine). I was delighted to have found Hookah's Cafe. A real authenthic East Indian restaurant with genuine Indian outlook, decor and feel . To add to the atmosphere they play Indian music and they have hookahs too. Very cool and comfortable place with delicious meals and mango lassi to die for!

• Cabana_Boy's Profile Photo

Nirvana: Nirvana

by Cabana_Boy Written Apr 1, 2004

Absolute Nirvana

Well, the name pretty much says it all...Nirvana serves up the best Indian food in NOLA and they have the Kingfisher, a plus in my book...

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish here is the shrimp vindaloo, but the chicken biryani is good too...my advice, start off with some fresh nan, have each person order a different dish, share the food and add lots of Kingfishers throughout....

• Beer Tasting

• Virtuous_Tourist's Profile Photo

Salt N' Pepper: tired of Gumbo?

by Virtuous_Tourist Updated Jun 26, 2003

Within a stones' throw of the House of Blues, on the outer fringes of the French Quarter is this culinary haven for the budget minded. For about 5 or 6 bucks, get a delicious Indian/Pakistani meal..I was surprised at the size of my plate - come hungry.
    The naan is great and all recipes appear to be made from scratch...

Instant Answers: New Orleans