Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville, New Orleans

3.5 out of 5 stars 13 Reviews

1104 Decatur Street, New Orleans, LA 70116 (504) 592-2565

• Have fun getting out after a few margaritas....
    Have fun getting out after a few...
    View down the street from the balcony
    by Hermanater
    Have a swinning good time.
  • Hermanater's Profile Photo

Margaritaville: Liscence to Chill

by Hermanater Written Nov 16, 2011

View down the street from the balcony

I thought the resturant was nicely done. I have been to three other margaritavilles and this one was one of the nicest. I liked the fact you could sit on the balcony over looking the street.
    It was nicely decorated.
    The staff were great.
    The drinks we big, cold and cheap.
    The food was crap.
    The sad thing about the food was it was over cooked and hard to eat. For this reason, I would hesitate to go back. I did think the tire swings at the bar were pretty cool. They were hard to get into. I couldn't imagine having lots to drink then try to get out of the tire swing.

Favorite Dish: Like any resturant, the food depends on how busy the place is and the cook on that particular day. We had the nacho plate and it was over cooked and hard to eat.

• Music

• leo.weeks's Profile Photo

Margaritaville: Had some drinks there

by leo.weeks Updated Apr 4, 2011

Nicely decorated tourist trap. Must see if you are a fan of that culture (I am not) I am a fan of good drinks, so Wife and I decided to try it out on our way back from our favorite pizza place near there (LPK). A few years ago we had some Banana Margaritas at a steak house in another part of La. and we have been looking for one that good ever since. We figured a place called Margaritaville would make good margaritas. We were glad at first that they said they could make us some, then we were very dissapointed with the taste and the high price. We expected the high price in such a touristy place, but hoped for better drinks. We tried the place again, I believe it was two for one Hurricanes that lured us in, again we were dissapointed, nothing comes close to the real Hurricanes from Pat Obriens. I haven't eaten there so I can't comment on that, but if you want a quality drink keep walkin.

Favorite Dish: N/A

• Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville: Best Onion Rings in Town!

by lorriorrio Updated Apr 4, 2011

New Orleans was my daughter's pick as to where she would like to celebrate her 21st birthday. I couldn't agree more and had a blast.....EXCEPT.....she is not very adventuresome when it comes to culinary delights! I thought she would turn into a hamburger before the trip was over. Being an official "Parrot Head" myself, I wanted to try this place out but really didn't expect for it to be much more than a tourist trap (sorry Jimmy). We were both very pleasantly surprised. The air was cold, music was great, food was wonderful and the balcony seating at night was very pleasant. As others have said, the margaritas were fabulous and my daughter was able to eat and drink a variety of food without getting out of her culinary "safe" zone! We ended up eating here several times during our trip...so I tried many different things and was never dissapointed. The location is also great and is a wonderful place to stop and rest after walking the french market area.

Favorite Dish: My daughter and I agree...the ONION RINGS are out of this world! Everything is wonderful but we would stop in sometimes just for a margarita (or two) and onion rings. Silly I know, but hey you only turn 21 once!

• Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville: It's 5 o'clock somewhere....

by ckmclements Updated Apr 4, 2011

This restaurant is a tourist trap, hands down, but one that's worth visiting every once in a while. It's pricey, but what you're paying for is ambiance. There are TVs everywhere featuring the one and only Jimmy Buffett, the tables and chairs are all colorful and different, and appear to be handpainted. The biggest thing in the restaurant is an airplane coming out of the wall. It's huge. The food is good, of course, but it's certainly not a place to go in New Orleans if you're looking for local flavor.

Favorite Dish: The coconut shrimp are just absolutely divine, and the hurricanes are not to be missed. If you're feeling PARTICULARLY touristy, you can have it in a plastic parrot-shaped cup for an extra charge (my husband's is purple--I wasn't feeling THAT touristy...)

• goodfish's Profile Photo

Margaritaville: Paradise for Parrotheads

by goodfish Updated Apr 4, 2011

Applies to anyone not having fun here

Most people have put this under "nightlife" but it IS a restaurant and IS open (and busy!) during the day so I'm sticking it here. We wandered in one afternoon just to get out of the heat and have a drink but ended up grabbing a sandwich too. Had one hell'uvan alligator poboy - really good. The only experience I'd had with gater before this was sort of like chewing on a bicycle tire - rubbery and tasteless. These nuggets were golden, tender and came with fries and a great sauce. Yum. The drinks weren't bad either but not cheap (none of them are in the Quarter). We stopped by again for appetizers with a friend of Caribbean ancestry who thought the conch fritters were excellent - and he's eaten a few! While the menu is heavy on Cajun/Creole and Caribbean flavors, you'll find the famous cheeseburger of song here too. Waitstaff was friendly, fun and attentive.

Big, colorful, noisy place with a bar and dining rooms downstairs, Storyville music bar in the back (local talent), and the Tire Swing bar upstairs (have to take an elevator). Yes, they really do have tire swings! There's also a big balcony off the upstairs bar that overlooks the street. Good place to lunch with kids as they'll love the activity and fun decor, and it's not full of inebriated people early in the day (but that's probably not true later at night). TV screens here and there play Jimmy Buffet videos at a level we could still talk over - try THAT anywhere on Bourbon street! For devoted Parrotheads, a store selling shirts, hats, CDs, glassware and other themed items is right next door.

Is it touristy? Absolutely. Do the locals go there? Probably never. Does that make it a bad place? Nope.

Favorite Dish: Loved the gator (appetizer or poboy) and conch fiitters.

• al_mary's Profile Photo

Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville: It's Five O'Clock Somewhere

by al_mary Updated Apr 4, 2011

Enter Here

Great Food - Great Staff - Great Times

Favorite Dish: Best Shrimp Po' Boy's in New Orleans
    just to name one of our favorites ....

Don't forget to stop into their store out front.
    Alot of merchandise you can only get there.

• lashr1999's Profile Photo

Margaritville: Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville

by lashr1999 Updated Apr 4, 2011
    Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville

Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville Cafe is quite a colourful joint with a very definite island vibe. Local artists perform live music in their Storyville Tavern. Music is free in the Tavern from 3pm to midnight. The food and drinks are great. The drinks have compasses in them so you can find your way home after you have had a few of them.

• karen75's Profile Photo

Margaritaville: Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville Cafe

by karen75 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Margaritaville

Heard people talking about about Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville Cafe on my Swamp Tour and decided to go there for dinner. Such a colourful restaurant! Got to listen to Jimmy Buffet tunes while I ate dinner.

Favorite Dish: Had a cuban meatloaf sandwich with a baked potato loaded with bacon, chives, and a lot of sour cream. Really wanted key lime pie for dessert but was too full after my meatloaf sandwich.

• melancholia's Profile Photo

Margaritaville: a menu fit for everyone

by melancholia Written Nov 13, 2003

i had a great time at margaritaville. this restaurant has a very fun theme. lots of bright decoration and creativity involved.

i am vegetarian and found a suitable amount of items on the menu that i was able to eat and that is always a HUGE plus for me.

Favorite Dish: i ate grilled cheese, black bean soup coleslaw and yummy french fries.

pretty standard fare, but they do have a lot of cajun style and other foods to choose from.

prices are decent as well!

• dawnm70's Profile Photo

Louisiana Food at its BEST: Dont be shy to try new things

by dawnm70 Updated Jul 20, 2003

Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville in New Orleans right across the street from the French Market has something to tease everyone's taste buds. Whether you like a "Cheeseburger in Paradise" ,Fried Alligator, a SoftShell Carb sandwich, to a delcious Steak grilled to perfection you cant go wrong with eating here. Also the scenry of the restruant will keep your eyes busy with all the different art.

Favorite Dish: I havent a favorite, because I love ALL on the menu here!

• Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville: Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville

by Deia Written Aug 25, 2002

You have to try the Margarita!! It is the most famous drink they have.I loved it! While you are there you can listen Jimmy Buffet's songs and enjoy the atmosphere around. The prices are very good too!

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish which I can't remember the name right now was made of pasta with alfredo sauce tossed with shrimp and crawfish.Wonderful!!!!Original cajun dish.

• Yubert's Profile Photo

Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville: Don't Miss The Fresh Gumbo!

by Yubert Updated Apr 4, 2011

Food was OK, just OK. But I did like the crab cakes and I didn't pay.

It was a very festive and noisey party atmosphere so don't come here looking for a quiet romantic dinner.

Favorite Dish: Anything with seafood.

• Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville...

by KristinaLMF Written Aug 24, 2002

Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville Cafe
    Play Jimmy Buffet music....he's even known to drop by when he's in the area.

Favorite Dish: Margaritas of course. They also have great appetizer specials.

Instant Answers: New Orleans

Comments

Hotels Near Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville