K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen, New Orleans

by acemj
  • starship's Profile Photo

K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen: Legendary New Orleans Restaurant

by starship Updated Sep 16, 2006

My heart almost skipped a beat when I walked by one of the most famous restaurants in the country. K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen is lengendary and owned by the famous New Orleans chef, Paul Prudhomme, who opened the restaurant in July, 1979. Although our tight budget wouldn't allow us to dine here, K-Paul's offers seating to at least 200 guests who CAN AFFORD his cooking!!

I think Mr. Prudhomme is the chef responsible for creating the "blackened" dishes. The youngest of 13 children (no wonder he learned to cook!!), he began learning the skill from his mother and then traveled the country learning to cook and improvise his own recipes from regional cuisine around the country. He has his own line of seasonings, etc., which you can now probably find in most grocery all stores across the USA.

The menu changes daily, but expect such appetizers as Chicken & Andouille Sausage Gumbo, Shrimp & Corn Maque Choux, etc which are priced at $6 and up. Salads, including K-Paul's House Salad are $5.50 and up. You'll have to dig deep into your pockets for the Entrees which start around $25.95 for offerings such as "Classic Shrimp Etoufee," and "Blackened Stuffed Pork Chop with Mushroom Zinfandel" and Cajun Jumbalaya. Desserts also begin at $6 and you'll have a difficult time choosing from the line up--maybe Sweet Potato Pecan Pie, or Custard Marie, or even more delicious the Bread Pudding with Lemon Sauce and Chantilly Cream. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it!!

The restaurant was renovated in 1996 and there is dining on the balcony, in the rear courtyard and two other floors as well. The Al Fresco dining in the courtyard sounded good to me.

Reservations are now accepted, and since is one of the top restaurants in New Orleans, I certainly would make reservations. Remember, al la carte prices seem to be the rule of the day.

Favorite Dish: I don't particularly enjoy ordering foods just to be adventurous so I am inclined to stick to Cajun and Seafood dishes for entrees, but ordering desserts is a different story. I thought the Bread Pudding sounded fabulous and the Sweet Potato Pecan Pie, well, I'm a Southerner so I'll take all I can get of that pie!!

• jadedmuse's Profile Photo

K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen: Blackened ANYTHING is spectacular here!

by jadedmuse Updated Aug 8, 2004

As recently as a decade ago, this place did NOT accept reservations (and it didn't accept credit cards, either) I think when Emeril came around, Paul Prudhomme smelled the competition and wised up - in the past, you could see the line of people extending at least 2 blocks, as they waited to be seated together at tables. But the wait was always well worth it.

As recent history goes, back in the late 70s Paul Prudhomme (the "K" stands for his wife) targeted his small diner mainly for the CBD businessman's lunch; it became so popular with the locals that he then expanded it for dinner and by the mid-80s, this was (and still is today) one of the best New Orleans eateries.

Open for lunch and dinner.

Favorite Dish: This is the ABSOLUTE NUMBER ONE place to get blackened redfish - actually blackened Drumfish now, since the redfish has been overfarmed. There's NOTHING that will come close to this delicacy anywhere, anytime.

(note: if you ever order something blackened and it actually comes out BLACKened, it's not being done correctly. Blackened really means to have a reddish color, and that's how your dishes should appear - thanks to the saffron and tumeric and whatever other spices go into the dish, giving it the reddish color that characterizes this misnomer.

Courtesy of K-Paul's website

• acemj's Profile Photo

K-Paul's: More celebrities . . .

by acemj Updated Jul 9, 2003

I'm sure you've seen the rotund celebrity chef Paul Prudhomme on TV. He has been spreading the word about Cajun cooking for years and this place is extremely popular. It's only open for dinner and the prices are pretty high, but if you want some great Cajun food, it's worth a try.
    *Dress up if you want to sit upstairs.

Favorite Dish: Try the turtle soup! It's got turtle, beef, spinach and a bunch of other good stuff. I also had the Shrimp & Corn Maque Choux which is a corn and shrimp based appetizer.

• Agraichen's Profile Photo

K Paul's: Cajun Martini is a must

by Agraichen Updated Jun 30, 2005

Ah,,,Paul P...has spices on most every supermarke in the US. His signature cafe in New Orleans is a wonderful culinary delight.

Yes, some of the newer "upstarts" have more "avant guard" (better know as... I can spend more than you can) frequet whatever happens to be in style "this" week, K Paul serves a cotinuous menu that can be enjoyed after the fads.

Favorite Dish: oooooooooo......Blackened White Fish; ah.... Filet, um....Salmon.....Scampi... ahiiiiiiii....All are just great...

Done to perfection, (er...even my , ah , over well done steak) with contant service to ensure all is well.

• K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen: Best EVER!

by KarenZipdrive Written Apr 9, 2008

I first visited K-Paul's in the 80's before Food TV made Chef Paul Prudomme a superstar.
    The wait was long even though we got in line an hour before it opened, and we had to dash for a two-top table because we didn't want to share a 4-top with strangers.
    The place was a tiny dump and the lousy house wine was served in a mason jar, but the moment the food came we were transfixed.
    From the bread basket that contained about six different, deliciously baked morsels to the blackened redfish (which has since been replaced with drum-an indistinguishly close relative to the redfish) to the heavenly bread pudding and decadent spicecake, we were blown away by the flavors and the love put into every dish.
    We got so full we both had to undo our pants buttons and waddle back to the Omni afterwards, where we collapse into a deep, happy sleep.
    Twenty years later and I can still close my eyes and dream about that perfect meal.

Favorite Dish: I loved the blackened redfish and blackened prime rib, but the bread basket and desserts were equally delicious.
    When any restaurant--regardless of the price--creates memories that last forever, you've found a great place to eat. K-Paul's is that kind of place.

• Pamela_Peace's Profile Photo

K Pauls - if you go early you...

by Pamela_Peace Written Sep 2, 2002

K Pauls - if you go early you won't need a reservation. I've never been disappointed with a meal here. At busy times you may be asked to share a table with someone else (this is without reservations!) and even though I'm not as in to this as the Europeans, it proved to be a delightful night for both my husband and I, and hopefully the other couple too.

• kaipow's Profile Photo

K Paul's Louisiana Kitchen: K Paul's Louisiana Kitchen

by kaipow Updated Apr 2, 2003

The restaurant of famous chef Paul Prudhomme. All the food is great. Desserts are awesome too. The last time I was there they still had family seating so you'd share tables with others. Gets filled fast so make reservations or be prepared to stand in line.

Favorite Dish: Anything!

• SeaBreezeUSA's Profile Photo

by SeaBreezeUSA Written Aug 24, 2002

K-Paul's
    For traditional Cajun, head to K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen. Made famous by Cajun Chef Paul Prudhomme, K-Paul's uses fresh, never frozen ingredients in every dish and all preparations take place in view of the diners. I think you will agree, this is one of the best restaurants with the best food you will ever stick a fork into!!

• anderschwan's Profile Photo

K-Paul's: K Paul's - A New Orleans Staple

by anderschwan Written Sep 1, 2003

The ambience is not really all that spectacular, but the food is the attraction. Anything blackened is going to be fabulous. Go all out and order a bottle of Rombauer Chardonnay. Last time we were there Mr Prudhomme himself was signing cookbooks.

Favorite Dish: Everything - it's all fabulous.

k Paul's

• vigi's Profile Photo

K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen: Disappointed Turtle Soup

by vigi Written Feb 14, 2005

This restaurant was recommended by my class teacher, Anne, of New Orleans Cooking School. I didn't know that American eat turtle and they serve turtle soup in New Orleans. I love Cinese style turtle soup, thus I was very interested to try Western style turtle soup. Anne said the best turtle soup she ever tasted was from K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen, so, I went there this evening.

Favorite Dish: Honestly, I couldn't taste the turtle, perhaps they put too much spices and tomato in the soup, it was too sour and covered up taste of the turtle meat. I could only taste the beef. A bit disappointed.

I ordered main course: Blackened Stuffed Pork Chop Mushroom Zinfandel, which was recommended by the waitress. Well, another disappointment. The dish was not bad, but also not good, the pork was bit cover cooked, too dry & chewy.

• K-Paul's: Try the bread pudding, avoid the Jambalaya.

by Uniqlo Written Mar 6, 2004

Open for dinner only, and expect a long line (mostly tourist) outside. The inside was very dark the last time I visited, which in my opinion, seems to kill the ambiance making it feel almost as if I were eating in a dungeon. Their jambalaya was entirely OVER-seasoned (as if someone decided to dump an entire bag of paprika pepper into the meal), which ruined the meal, and I sent it back for another. That didn’t help, as the second bowl was just as over-seasoned as the first. The prices at K-Paul’s are simply tourist-trap-rip-off’s (in other words, over-priced for the amount of food you get).

Favorite Dish: The bread pudding is their best dish. Their second best would be the fried green tomatoes. Much like all resturants in New Orleans, each resturant makes ONE really good meal / dissert.

• doug48's Profile Photo

k-paul's louisiana kitchen: celebrity chef

by doug48 Written May 24, 2009

paul prudhomme was a famous television chef that introduced cajun cuisine to main stream america. k-paul's is one of the best cajun restaurants in the french quarter. reservations recommended.

k-paul's louisiana kitchen