K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen, New Orleans

by starship
  • starship's Profile Photo

K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen: Legendary New Orleans Restaurant

by starship Updated Sep 16, 2006

My heart almost skipped a beat when I walked by one of the most famous restaurants in the country. K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen is lengendary and owned by the famous New Orleans chef, Paul Prudhomme, who opened the restaurant in July, 1979. Although our tight budget wouldn't allow us to dine here, K-Paul's offers seating to at least 200 guests who CAN AFFORD his cooking!!

I think Mr. Prudhomme is the chef responsible for creating the "blackened" dishes. The youngest of 13 children (no wonder he learned to cook!!), he began learning the skill from his mother and then traveled the country learning to cook and improvise his own recipes from regional cuisine around the country. He has his own line of seasonings, etc., which you can now probably find in most grocery all stores across the USA.

The menu changes daily, but expect such appetizers as Chicken & Andouille Sausage Gumbo, Shrimp & Corn Maque Choux, etc which are priced at $6 and up. Salads, including K-Paul's House Salad are $5.50 and up. You'll have to dig deep into your pockets for the Entrees which start around $25.95 for offerings such as "Classic Shrimp Etoufee," and "Blackened Stuffed Pork Chop with Mushroom Zinfandel" and Cajun Jumbalaya. Desserts also begin at $6 and you'll have a difficult time choosing from the line up--maybe Sweet Potato Pecan Pie, or Custard Marie, or even more delicious the Bread Pudding with Lemon Sauce and Chantilly Cream. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it!!

The restaurant was renovated in 1996 and there is dining on the balcony, in the rear courtyard and two other floors as well. The Al Fresco dining in the courtyard sounded good to me.

Reservations are now accepted, and since is one of the top restaurants in New Orleans, I certainly would make reservations. Remember, al la carte prices seem to be the rule of the day.

Favorite Dish: I don't particularly enjoy ordering foods just to be adventurous so I am inclined to stick to Cajun and Seafood dishes for entrees, but ordering desserts is a different story. I thought the Bread Pudding sounded fabulous and the Sweet Potato Pecan Pie, well, I'm a Southerner so I'll take all I can get of that pie!!

K-Paul's

• K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen: Best EVER!

by KarenZipdrive Written Apr 9, 2008

I first visited K-Paul's in the 80's before Food TV made Chef Paul Prudomme a superstar.
    The wait was long even though we got in line an hour before it opened, and we had to dash for a two-top table because we didn't want to share a 4-top with strangers.
    The place was a tiny dump and the lousy house wine was served in a mason jar, but the moment the food came we were transfixed.
    From the bread basket that contained about six different, deliciously baked morsels to the blackened redfish (which has since been replaced with drum-an indistinguishly close relative to the redfish) to the heavenly bread pudding and decadent spicecake, we were blown away by the flavors and the love put into every dish.
    We got so full we both had to undo our pants buttons and waddle back to the Omni afterwards, where we collapse into a deep, happy sleep.
    Twenty years later and I can still close my eyes and dream about that perfect meal.

Favorite Dish: I loved the blackened redfish and blackened prime rib, but the bread basket and desserts were equally delicious.
    When any restaurant--regardless of the price--creates memories that last forever, you've found a great place to eat. K-Paul's is that kind of place.

• doug48's Profile Photo

k-paul's louisiana kitchen: celebrity chef

by doug48 Written May 24, 2009

paul prudhomme was a famous television chef that introduced cajun cuisine to main stream america. k-paul's is one of the best cajun restaurants in the french quarter. reservations recommended.

k-paul's louisiana kitchen