Places to eat in New Orleans

Caught it with no queue !
    Go on - choose the Bananas Foster
    by ChrisSheena
    Don't leave without trying this

Most Viewed Restaurants in New Orleans

• Paul2001's Profile Photo

Taqueria Corona: Pretty Good Mexican Restaurant in the Uptown Area

by Paul2001 Updated Jan 23, 2014

I was very hungry when I came by the Taqueria Corona. As I was walking along Magazine Street, I happened upon the restaurant and it struck me as a good place to sit down and have an enchilada.

Favorite Dish: I was not disappointed in my enchilada. Service here was pretty good. As the restaurant is off the tourist trail a bit, you will find yourself amongst locals well eating here. That was a welcome relief.

• JessieLang's Profile Photo

French Market Café: Music while you dine

by JessieLang Written Jul 17, 2013

This is a busy place, but service still managed to be prompt and efficient. The food is very good, and the servings are large. You won’t go hungry here--2 women in our group shared one meal. Dining is inside or out on the patio. We chose to sit outside because that is where the live band was playing.

Favorite Dish: I had chicken ($16) and my friend had a $12 burger.

• Music

• JessieLang's Profile Photo

Huck Finn's: Wallet friendly

by JessieLang Written Jul 17, 2013

I had an excellent dinner of gumbo and chocolate pie for a very reasonable price at Huck Finns. It isn’t a fancy place—used brick walls and plain tables and chairs—but the food and service are very good.

Favorite Dish: I had gumbo, but everything they were serving looked good.

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

Drago's at the Hilton New Orleans Riverside: Drago's: Two Words: Charbroiled Oysters!

by TravellerMel Updated Jun 18, 2013

This is the newer location, the original being much loved and located in nearby Metairie, LA. The Riverside Hilton has an elegant and romantic feel, and the restaurant is large. Reservations are not necessary.

Favorite Dish: Charbroiled oysters - OMG, just the thought makes me salivate! Oysters on the half shell, cooked on the grill, slathered in butter and dusted with parmesean cheese. I don't even LIKE oysters, but during this last visit, I put away a dozen by myself!

• RWFAN's Profile Photo

Erin Rose Pub: Hidden in plain view

by RWFAN Written Mar 3, 2013

I almost hesitate to share this little gem, for fear that the next time I make my way to New Orleans it will have been taken over by tourists and lost it's local vibe. This tiny little pub is right in the heart of the French Quarter but still manages somehow to retain the feeling that you've walked into a pub where everyone sitting around the bar knows each other and the server doesn't have to ask what anyone came in for because she already knows. I don't exaggerate when I say that it is tiny...there are 10-12 stools around the bar, if that, and a couple of tables by the window. That's it. It doesn't have a patio, but there are a couple of high table tops out front that you can stand around with drinks as well. Despite not being obviously geared towards tourists (other than the fact that they do sell Erin Rose souvenirs) the server was very friendly with us and we didn't feel as though we were walking into forbidden territory, and the drinks were great! I will make my way back there again someday for sure.

• SFHulaGIrl's Profile Photo

Killer Po' Boys: Killer Po' Boys Really ARE Killer!

by SFHulaGIrl Written Dec 30, 2012

Killer Po' Boys is known for their New Age/Modern approach to po' boys. For example, they often have Dark N Stormy Pulled Pork, Grassfed Meatball, Coriander Lime Gulf Shrimp, Moroccan Spiced Lamb Sausage & Guinness Braised Roast Beef Po' Boys. The Lamb Sausage seems to be their most popular, with the Dark N Stormy being second. Prices average $10-$11. There's absolutely no ambience in the back of the bar, simply a table & a few chairs or the counter. People are friendly, though. Hours are from noon until midnight, unless they run out of everything, in which case, they close early!

Favorite Dish: They were out of the Moroccan Spiced Lamb Sausage the day I was in there, so I settled for the Coriander Lime Gulf Shrimp Po' Boy. The size was good & the taste was also very good. I didn't have a chance to go back & try for the Lamb Sausage again, but it's on my list for next time.

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

Margaritaville New Orleans: Margaritaville New Orleans

by TravellerMel Written Nov 27, 2012

We love Margaritaville! A fun time, good food, and stellar Margaritas! They offer a generous military discount, so if you are active service or retired, be sure to ask. We loved eating out on the balcony - so very New Orleans - and it was a beautiful day.

Favorite Dish: I had the shrimp po-boy with fries (which was big enough to share). My sister had the roast beef po-boy. In the past we have had the killer nachos and the "Cheeseburger in Paradise" - all very good.

• dustmon's Profile Photo

Original French Market: Good views, OK food

by dustmon Written Nov 20, 2012

Went upstairs to the balcony for lunch on a sunny, windy day---had an OK soft shell crab Poboy and a seafood pasta dish that was good. A little pricey but the bloody marys were decent and it was a nice spot until the parked truck below us started up his cooler unit (really loud).

Favorite Dish: bloody mary

• Architecture

• olddude's Profile Photo

Salu: Small Plates, Big Flavor

by olddude Written Oct 12, 2012

This place is one of the more popular on Magazine Street. It is a little pricey and the service a tad slow, but the chef definitely knows what he is doing. Although there are large main dishes on the menu, I recommend the tapas. That's right, I said tapas....some of the best to be had anywhere. Add in the general atmosphere of this part of New Orleans, eat outside, and I say you are in for a dining treat.

Favorite Dish: You just have to try the skirt steak small plate. It was cooked to perfection and so tender that you a knife is unnecessary. The calamari and peppers small plate is also awesome.

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo

Deja Vu: A casual bar with decent food

by mikelisaanna Written Jan 5, 2012

Deja Vu is a bar with a good selection of beers and decent food located a block from Bourbon Street in the French Quarter. It is not fancy, but had a decent menu of burgers, sandwiches and local dishes such as gumbo, jumbalaya, and catfish. It's a nice place to get an hour or two of relief from the noise and craziness of Bourbon Street. It also has a few large screen televisions, so it is a good place to watch a game in a quiter setting. Being a bar, it is a little smoky, but nearly as bad as most bars in New Orleans.

[photo to come]

Favorite Dish: The freid catfish was good, as were the sweet potato fries. They also have good burgers and a good beer selection.

• Beer Tasting

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo

Bistreaux: French Bistro Style--At the Maison Dupuy Hotel

by VeronicaG Written Dec 6, 2011

We happily discovered Bistreaux on our last day in New Orleans as we were wandering around the streets hoping to visit one last historic home--FYI: the homes close most days at 3pm in the afternoon. What a disappointment, since our flight wasn't departing until 7pm that evening.

However, we stumbled in to get out of the wind and cold, discovering a warm and novel restaurant. Located at a quiet corner of Toulouse Street, the bistro took a cue from its location, displaying murals depicting paintings by French artist, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec on the walls.

The menu featured pizza, sandwiches, burgers, beverages and kids menu. We were in the mood for dessert, so we ordered cinnamon apple pie ($6.00)--a bar was situated at one end of the restaurant. Bistreaux is in the residential area of the French Quarter. Jazz and Blues offered in the evenings. Link to their menu: http://www.maisondupuy.com/bistreaux_menu.html.

• Seniors
    • Singles
    • Women's Travel

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo

Tea at Le Salon: A Holiday Gem at the Windsor Hotel

by VeronicaG Updated Dec 6, 2011

The Windsor Hotel introduced their newest dining opt to visitors over the holiday--Le Salon. We had reservations for the 4:30pm holiday tea on the day after Thanksgiving. There were two options for tea: A Classic Tea (which we chose) and a Royal Tea*. I believe there was also seating at 2pm that day.

A magnificent tree glimmered in the lobby! While waiting to be seated, we peeked into Le Salon, noticing it's elegant decor--everything looked particularly inviting dressed up for the holidays-poinsettias and candlelight filled the room with color and sparkle.

Our tea began with selecting a delectable flavor from a multitude of choices--we picked Tea of Good Tidings (love that name!) The 'Classic tea' offered an assortment of four English style tea sandwiches, followed by scones with preserves, clotted cream and lemon curd; tiny cakes and tarts, truffles for two and chocolate covered strawberries (both white and dark) ended the tea. Musicians played as we sipped our tea and sampled our tidbits. A Christmas tea is also on the schedule for 2011.

FYI: The Royal Tea added smoked salmon, caviar canapes, glass of sherry or wine; valet parking is available at the Windsor Court Hotel

• Seniors
    • Singles
    • Women's Travel

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Oceana Grill

by Ewingjr98 Updated Nov 29, 2011

The guy holding the 2 for 1 sign at the Famous Door bar said this place was good, so how could I go wrong? The bartender from California (Melissa?) was friendly and happy to help me find a few fun places to go that evening. I had a few Abita drafts plus an outstanding blackened catfish po'boy (around $11). This place has a good deal of customers (including the local police) and it looks like it was recently remodeled.

Good food, excellent service, prices to fit any budget (except you cheapskates!). Recommended.

• Hermanater's Profile Photo

enVie: Little expresso cafe

by Hermanater Written Nov 18, 2011

This was beside the hotel we stayed at. We walked by it everyday and on our last day before we left New Orleans we decided to stop here for breakfast.

It is quaint. The one girl working was very pleasant. The food was great.

The whole atmosphere was great. There is free wifi.
    The bakery items were fresh and delicious.

We only wish we would have tried the place out before because I know we would have went back every morning.

A little gem.

Favorite Dish: Fresh baking for on the road.
    The breakfast plates (typical eggs, bacon, toast) were filling and worth the money.

• School Holidays
    • Business Travel

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Deja Vu - Dauphine St

by Ewingjr98 Updated Oct 20, 2011

After a night where it seemed like the only people in the French Quarter were college kids and hippies, I needed a change. Luckily I found a place called Deja Vu for lunch. Though slightly on the hippy side, it was an extremely friendly and comfortable bar with good burgers--I had the mushroom and onion burger ($5) while the bartender assured me everyone gets the bacon cheddar burger. Fries are $2 extra and beers are about $3.50 for tasty local varieties like Abita Amber. I stuck around for a few hours sipping beer, listening to the stories, and enjoying the variety of music being played on the jukebox.

This is a place where I could become a regular if I spent more time in the city.

New Orleans Hotels

Westin New Orleans Canal Place
The Pelham New Orleans
Latest: Apr 11, 2014

Instant Answers: New Orleans

Comments

New Orleans Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and New Orleans locals.
Map of New Orleans