Places to eat in New Orleans

Caught it with no queue !
    Go on - choose the Bananas Foster
    by ChrisSheena
    Don't leave without trying this

Most Viewed Restaurants in New Orleans

Lucy's Retired Surfer Bar - Warehouse District

by Ewingjr98 Written Oct 1, 2011

Lucy's is a great, laid-back bar in New Orleans Warehouse District. The food is mostly Southern California inspired, the atmosphere matches delightfully. The interior is brightly lit with large windows and natural sunlight. The right side of the establishment contains the popular bar, while the left side is a small dining room.

I arrived one afternoon while wasting time wandering around the city, and I was in need a a drink and some air conditioning. I grabbed a seat at the bar and an Abita Amber. With my tasty local beer, I had the "Todo Santos Fish Tacos" with grilled grouper grilled on flour tortillas, served with cheese, shredded cabbage, secret shrimp sauce, and a side of beans and rice. The food was fantastic, and the service very good. My only complaint was the lack of water in the bathroom, after getting soap on my hands (and no paper towels!), I had to walk across the street to a hotel to wash off the soap.

Lucy's has three locations: New Orleans, Baton Rouge and Austin. The original restaurant was opened in Manhattan in 1985.

The Warehouse District is the part of the Central Business District closest to the Mississippi River, which was used heavily for warehousing and manufacturing in the early 1900s. The area became derelict after shipping became containerized, but it began to be revitalized after the 1984 World's Fair. A number of the original warehouses remain, many converted to hotels, restaurants, and art galleries.

French Market Restaurant and Bar

by Ewingjr98 Updated Sep 28, 2011

On a Saturday afternoon, after sleeping off a hangover, we decided to find some lunch. As usual, we headed down towards Decatur Street near the river to find chow. After wandering around a bit, we noticed the barbecued oysters at the French Market Restaurant smelled great, so we stopped in for lunch. The waitress seated us upstairs, where we were happy to see there were several college football games on TV, including a nice projector with a 10 foot screen in the corner.

Most of us ordered bloody Mary's ($5.75), which looked great, but I had a local Blackened Voodoo beer ($3.75). We started our meal with a half dozen barbecued oysters, ½ Dozen for $10; they were spectacular, nicely smokey and topped with Parmesan cheese. I had red beans and rice with awesome smoked sausage and french bread for my meal ($10.95).

The food was tasty, the service good, and the location excellent.

The Corner Oyster House Sports Bar - French Qtr

by Ewingjr98 Updated Sep 28, 2011

Though I actually walked in the door and sipped on a glass of beer, I couldn't bring myself to eat here on my first visit to New Orleans. It was just too bright, clean, and modern to resemble a good restaurant. The food was reasonably priced, and the menu had basic Cajun fare, but it looked far too touristy once we got inside. Maybe it's an OK restaurant, but the atmosphere was seriously lacking.

On my next visit, the restaurant was still an oyster house, but it had been renewed as a sports bar, with team flags on the ceilings, pennants on the walls, and lots of flat screen TVs. We stopped in to grab dinner and watch a Steelers game, and the place wasn't too bad. I had a big bowl of red beans and rice with smoked sausage ($10) and a few beers. The waitress was friendly but flaky, and the food good.

The Corner Oyster House is located in Decatur at Jackson Square and Artillery Park in one of the historic Pontalba Buildings. The beautiful and intricate Pontalba Buildings flank both sides of Jackson Square and were constructed in the 1840s as apartments. These four story buildings were constructed by the Baroness Micaela Almonester Pontalba and are known as the oldest continuously used apartments in the United States. Baroness de Pontalba also funded construction of the Hôtel de Pontalba in Paris, France, now the official residence of the U.S. Ambassador to France.

I'm pretty sure the Corner Oyster House is owned by the same company that operates Pere Antoine, another touristy French Quarter Restaurant.

• kokoryko's Profile Photo

Cochon: Dans le cochon, tout est bon !

by kokoryko Written Jul 22, 2011

During a walk around noon in Warehouse district, my nose was titillated by some pleasant smells, and looking around I spotted this Cochon where from they came; I decided I MUST have a dinner there!
    When I arrived there the following evening, the employees told me I should have reserved, and I had to wait at the bar till a table gets free, and I began to drink a draught beer when suddenly a firm hand hit my shoulder and “Heyyyy! Hermann!!!. . . etc. . .” Kjell-B. J., a very good Norwegian colleague I know since 15 years, greeted me and invited me to his table where he celebrated his birthday with a bunch of other geoscientist colleagues. His company paid the dinner, so we did not refrain from ordering what we felt the best food and the best wines; we sat at a long table on the sidewalk of the street, in the cool breeze of N-O.
    The staff is excellent, there, as they know what is served (food or wine), explain a bit of Cajun food secrets, give good advice about wines, and are quite swift.
    I decided for some “exotic” food, like fried alligator with chilli and garlic, catfish. . . . Don’t remember what I had for desert, but if you get easily water in your mouth when reading about food, have a look at the Website. Californian Sauvignon and Cabernet and other wines were on the table. We had a wonderful dinner and this (and one of the lady colleagues) even convinced me to go the night away in one of the Bourbon street music bars.
    Well, a nice evening at this restaurant I cannot do less than recommend, but make a reservation, it can be crowded on evenings!

• kokoryko's Profile Photo

MRB: Jazz at MRB Bar and Grill

by kokoryko Written Jul 22, 2011

Jazz in the courtyard! When you begin to feel hungry and look for a place to have some food you sometimes step in places which offer far beyond your expectations. . . certainly! It was a bit crowded in the main room, but when coming in the backyard, I have been surprised and delighted to hear Dixieland jazz, and the guys on the stage looked very happy to play for the dining crowd (^picture 1).
    So, I went to the counter, ordered Cajun sausage and potatoes, a big beer, found a place at a table and listened to jazz for a (long) while.
    A German (from West Virginia!) brass band was playing then, matching well with my sausage (!) for a while; I had a nice beginning of evening here: good music, relaxed atmosphere, good food and funny chats with my table neighbours. That sort of place is much more enjoyable than the drunken crowds in the Bourbon Street establishments!
    I passed by during day time, and this place looks very discreet on St Philip Street (picture 5), and beware, you may find it by chance, and if you look specially for it, you may pass by without noticing.
    Oh! By the way: MRB: Mississipi River Bottom

838 Esplanade Avenue, at the back of the Quarter

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

Cafe Grenada: Uptown Tapas at Cafe Grenada

by TravellerMel Written Jul 7, 2011

Small, warm restaurant with additional cafe seating outside on the sidewalk. This would be a lovely restaurant for a romantic dinner date, or just out with friends. We were a party of 5, and were seated comfortably at two tables (pushed together) in the center of the restaurant. I loved it - the ambiance, service and food - and would definitely go back the next time I am in New Orleans.

Favorite Dish: I had the Eggplant Granada (grilled layers of Eggplant stuffed with Mushroom Duxelle & topped with caramelized onions, placed over Romesco Sauce) and the Black Angus Ribeye (Broiled 6 oz. Ribeye steak served with French fries & garlic aioli) - both were wonderful, although the eggplant dish was my favorite. I also sampled the Manchego Cheese Flambé, which was flambéd tableside and was very cool.

• brainhouse's Profile Photo

Bacchanal: Eat Al fresca with live music and great wine!

by brainhouse Written Jun 25, 2011

It's in the Bywater part of town. Pass Dr. Bob's workshop and Euclid records along the way. They have an extensive wine collection you buy by the bottle. They also have antipasta type items, cheese, olives, prosciutto, etc. Bring that to your table in the courtyard. Then go to the outdoor kitchen, sometimes run by a guest chef, and order food. The menu changes, but always good.
    And there's live music 7 nights a week! Great atmosphere. I even brought my parents here one time and they enjoyed it too!
    With a group of people to split the bottle of wine, it's not that expensive.

Favorite Dish: I remember having a really great trout dish once, and a flat iron another time, but the menu changes so it doesn't matter so much. Just order what sounds good. It will be.

• Wine Tasting

• Bunsch's Profile Photo

Ignatius Eatery: A Confederacy of Dunces?

by Bunsch Updated Jun 12, 2011

When I arrived in New Orleans, it was already mid-afternoon and somehow lunch had not been found anywhere between Avery Island and the Crescent City. After stowing my bags at our wonderful B&B, The Chimes, I asked the Tulane graduate-to-be where I might find a nice dish of gumbo. Ah, she had just the place! Shortly, we'd ensconced ourselves at Ignatius, where the menu included a number of N'Awlins favorites. It's unpretentious, a little hole-in-the-wall kind of spot. I stuck to my guns and had the gumbo, which was rich and delicious, and we both enjoyed small bottles of Co'cola. There are obviously a lot of other choices at Ignatius, many of which are chalked onto the blackboard, but I never got back to try any of them. I will say it was a little more expensive than I'd expected. Maybe you're paying for the literary allusions?

The surroundings were pleasant, and the service was fine. I have since read a series of scathing reviews. All I can say is that our experience was okay and that I enjoyed my gumbo.

• School Holidays

The Corner Oyster House: Oysters on Jackson Square

by Bunsch Updated Jun 8, 2011

Our visit to The Corner was a mistake. One of our group spotted it and said, "Hey, 35 years ago, the place on this corner made the best muffuletta I'd ever tasted. Let's see if it is still as good!" And, since it was just about to start pouring rain and everybody was hungry, we all agreed. But the waitress (who had only been around for the past 15 years) claimed that no muffuletta had ever been on the menu. What was on offer was a lot of seafood, and it wasn't bad. The boiled crawfish were extremely spicy, but those who had ordered them liked them that way; the boiled shrimp was certainly fresh. I sampled something called "gumbalaya" which was, as you might expect, a combination of chicken and sausage gumbo with jambalaya. Everybody had Abita. It seems to me that there were fries or onion rings, too.

The decor is very much sports bar with lots of mirrors.

This place benefits from a very good site on Jackson Square and close to the French Market, in a town which is renowned for great restaurants. If it were located elsewhere, perhaps I'd feel more strongly positive about it. As it was, this came in a distant sixth in our dining experiences and would likely have fallen further if we'd stayed in NOLA longer.

• Disabilities

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Vieux Carre Pizza: Best pizza by the slice I've ever had!

by Jefie Updated Jun 4, 2011

Again I have to blame - or rather thank - Bourbon Street for this one! After spending a few hours on various dance floors one evening, I found myself craving for that late night snack and knew I would probably feel much better in the morning if I had something to eat before going to bed. That's when we spotted Vieux Carre Pizza on St. Louis Street. I wasn't expecting much when we walked in, just a quick, cheap snack, but the pizza looked and smelled absolutely delicious - and it turned out to be one of the best pizzas I've ever had! In fact, it was so good that we ended up going back the next night to try a different combination. In the end, my favourite one was the Bourbon Special, made with chicken, spinach, pesto and feta cheese. It's only a small restaurant with a few stools for customers, but Vieux Carre Pizza might very well be one of the French Quarter's best kept secrets!

• Bunsch's Profile Photo

Tracey's: "The Original Irish Channel Bar"

by Bunsch Updated May 24, 2011

There were a whole gaggle of folks arriving in NOLA for Tulane graduation, bringing with them the kind of appetites you develop on planes these days where no food is available. So the graduate suggested we all meet at Tracey's, which has been a local watering hole since 1949. It began life just down the street in a locale known as "Parasol's" but moved to the present location at Third and Magazine a few years later, bringing both the old-fashioned feeling of the original and a large collection of parasols which now adorn the ceiling.

Tracey's does have a full bar, and produces salads and a variety of "sides" which reflect the tastes of the clientele, but by far the most popular items on the menu are the 8" po'boy sandwiches. All those out-of-towners chowed down, and a good time was had by all, washed down by big tankards of Abita.

Favorite Dish: The po'boys are simply divine. I tried three different ones -- shrimp, "erster", and their signature roast beef -- and I think the shrimp was my favorite, but they were ALL excellent.

• School Holidays

• olddude's Profile Photo

Sake Cafe: Looking for Sushi?

by olddude Updated Apr 4, 2011

New Orleans is not a place one would go looking for sushi. However, while strolling up Magazine Street, I spotted this place and just had to see how it measured up. Well, I was pleasantly surprised...as I had lived in japan for number of years. The decor is a cross between Japanese ultra-modern chic and old style New Orleans...if you can imagine that. That being said, the traditional sushi and sashimi is complemented by some uniquely New Orleans twists on sushi such as the Po-Boy Roll and the Metarie Roll. The bar is well stocked too with plenty of what you expect....sake. They even carry some Okinawan awomori. It is a little more expensive than expected, but overall worth it.

Favorite Dish: My favorite is the sashimi sampler with yellowfin tuna. Wash it down with a glass of Umechu (plum wine)

• maestrousmc's Profile Photo

Dry Dock Cafe: Local fare amongst local people

by maestrousmc Updated Apr 4, 2011

As you step off the ferry that crosses the Mississippi into New Orleans' historic Algiers, you will see the popular Algiers hangout: Dry Dock Cafe. Truly a local bar this bar and restaurant serves all the New Orleans classics like red beans, etouffe and jambalya. Moreover, regular pub grub like burgers, catfish and fried shrimp poboys are served here along with beer and cocktails priced for locals. The food is served in an unpretentious fashion by and attentive staff.

Favorite Dish: You have to try the barbeque shrimp. The juicy shrimp drowned in a spicy bbq sauce goes well with an ice-cold beer.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

City Park: Timken Center

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011

Our city tour stopped here at City Park for us to use the bathrooms and get refreshment. This place has sandwiches, chicken tenders, popcorn, pretzels, pastries, ice cream, various soft drinks, coffee and apparently also beer.

We didn't get anything to eat, but it would have been better if we had, because I had to gulp down a burger from McDonalds before our afternoon tour

• National/State Park

Lamothe House
Latest: Apr 11, 2014
Frenchmen Hotel

Instant Answers: New Orleans

Comments

New Orleans Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and New Orleans locals.
Map of New Orleans