Places to eat in New Orleans

Caught it with no queue !
    Go on - choose the Bananas Foster
    by ChrisSheena
    Don't leave without trying this

Most Viewed Restaurants in New Orleans

• tpaul's Profile Photo

Mr. B's Bistro: Mr. B's - Local Flavor at its Best

by tpaul Updated Mar 8, 2005

Mr. B's was our first dining experience in New Orleans, and in my opinion, ended up being the best. The restaurant offers superb classic dishes like gumbo, and some interesting twists on the classics, such as pasta jambalaya.

Everyone was exceptionally nice, willing to accomodate a group of 14 on a Thursday evening. Our service was great, and our waiter spent a lot of time joking around with all of us.

Mr. B's is on the high end of New Orleans restaurants, and you end up paying for that. But, as I always say, you have to expect that a restaurant at this level will be fairly expensive. All in all, however, Mr. B's was reasonable in my book. Having dined in many high-end restaurants in NYC, I don't think twice about spending $50 a plate for excellent food & service.

Favorite Dish: The Gumbo Ya Ya was by far the best food I ate while in New Orleans, and I made sure by ordering it at every restaurant I went to. The chicken in this dish was so delicate, so tender, that it literally melted in my mouth. Mix that with some andouille sausage & a little spicy heat, and you have an outstanding dish.

For dessert, I figured, I'd continue with my traditional southern fare and opted for the Pecan Pie. Ohhh mama was I glad I did. By far the absolute best pecan pie I've ever had in my life.

• tpaul's Profile Photo

NOLA: NOLA - Great food, great location

by tpaul Updated Mar 8, 2005

NOLA is in a great location, situated in the heart of the French Quarter. From the outside, it's an unassuming yellow building around the corner from the hustle and bustle of Decatur Street. Once inside, the restaurant takes on a very comfortable feel - nothing tremendously upscale or chic, but rather, warm and inviting.

There are three levels for dining, and the second and third levels are accessible by elevator. The service was superb without being suffocating, and the food was at a level to be expected from Emeril Legasse.

It was expensive, to be sure. But when booking reservations at a place like NOLA, you should expect to pay a high price for great food. In other words - the price of dinner at a restaurant like NOLA shouldn't be a reason to pan, unless the portions are ridiculously small, which was NOT the case here. I was full enough to prevent me from eating dessert!

Great daily specials ensure a fresh dish, and an extensive wine list offers a bottle for any dish.

• Huey's Diner: Forget IT

by Tourist11801 Written Mar 6, 2005

We happened to be staying in a hotel directly across the street from this establishment so we gave it a try-- Warning- DON'T do it-- This place is awful- Dirty looking-check out the open cooking area, especially behind the grill- This place is the sort that gives greasy spoons a bad name. "Service" is lacking- Waiter got the order wrong, even though I repeated what I wanted several times. When it finally arrived it tasted like it was cooked in rancid oil. We noticed at an adjourning table a couple patiently waited for their food ( service is spotty, folks arriving after you sometimes were being served their food before you got yours- and I'm talking identical food orders, like burgers)- when the adjourning table finally got their food they took a few bites, looked at the menu, flipped the money on the table and LEFT.. This gives you an idea of the quality here. Do yourself a favor, eat elsewhere.

Favorite Dish: N/A

• jasta_305's Profile Photo

Felix's: Not the best place we ate at...

by jasta_305 Written Feb 28, 2005

Okay, maybe it was because it was busy, but this place definately left something to be desired. The service was TERRIBLE, we waited for at least 15 minutes until someone even took our drink order, we also saw a few people who left because they were waiting so long. It seemed as though they were understaffed, but in a city like New Orleans were it thrives on tourism, being understaffed really is no excuse. The food was overpriced, and for the poor service, left us wishing we had just stopped by the hot dog vendor.

• thatsjustme's Profile Photo

Port of Call: Forget about lowfat

by thatsjustme Written Feb 26, 2005

An absolutely must-have indulgence for the burger lover, Port of Call's famous megaburgers are definitely not for the calorie conscious. This slightly out of the way (down Esplanade Ave) eatery has been a local institution for decades. If you aren't bothered by outdated decor, loud, crowded and smoky joints, then Port of Call is an absolute must-do when in the Cresent City.

Favorite Dish: Although there is a standard issue bar food menu, the burgers at Port of Call are what brings people to the table (quite literally). These greasy, chargrilled 8-oz. monsters are served loaded with mushrooms, a mountain of chedder, lettuce and tomato, but the biggest sell for me is definitely the fully loaded baked potato that rides alongside. Order it loaded for a heaping concoction of mushrooms, even more chedder, butter, sour cream, chives and an amazing amount of bacon bits.
    Every bite is an amazing guilty pleasure, that will put you in high calorie heaven and have you vowing to eat salads for the rest of the week in penitence. Wash it all down with Port of Call's signature drink the "Monsoon" (a fruity rum based elixir) and experience one of my favorite NOLA indulgences.

Pictures speak louder than words

• jlanza29's Profile Photo

Acme Oyster: Worth the wait !!!!

by jlanza29 Written Feb 26, 2005

Come early and there is line, come late and there is a line, there's no way of getting into this place without a wait.......but stand in line and wait for it's well worth it once inside......and the wait will pay off when you have the most spectular oysters in your life......don't miss out trying there famous Pooy Boy sandwhich's that come in various forms, from fried oysters, to fried shrimp.. combo's...the prices are excellent...meaning cheap !!!!! Cold beers flow hand and hand with the simple service.......can't come to New Orleans without coming here and chucking some oysters !!! WELL WORTH IT !!!!! if possible sit at the oyster bar and watch how skillfully these people open oysters one after another without even flinching !!!!!

Favorite Dish: OYSTERS, OYSTERS, OYSTERS

• eve72379's Profile Photo

Copeland's: Great Seafood

by eve72379 Updated Feb 20, 2005

The decor could use a little attention. Leave your formal attire at the hotel. the abience was OK. The service is great and teh food was very well prepared.

I am not a seafood lover, but all the people I was with could not say enogh about how good everything was!!!

Favorite Dish: Not being a seafood eater, I had the steak. like know secret.. They have a whole different menus for steak items. You have to ask for it.

• cynthi's Profile Photo

Tiffin Inn Pancake House: Eat after ya party

by cynthi Written Feb 20, 2005

Actually in Metarie, Tiffin's is an all hours resturant and on the top of my list for after-you-go-out places to eat. I totally prefer to go here than to a national chain place (like IHOP or Waffel House), and I don't think I've ever had to wait for a table here.

Favorite Dish: OHHH... get the french toast... they make it on french bread and it is the best i've ever had!

Breakfast at Tiffin's

• vigi's Profile Photo

K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen: Disappointed Turtle Soup

by vigi Written Feb 14, 2005

This restaurant was recommended by my class teacher, Anne, of New Orleans Cooking School. I didn't know that American eat turtle and they serve turtle soup in New Orleans. I love Cinese style turtle soup, thus I was very interested to try Western style turtle soup. Anne said the best turtle soup she ever tasted was from K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen, so, I went there this evening.

Favorite Dish: Honestly, I couldn't taste the turtle, perhaps they put too much spices and tomato in the soup, it was too sour and covered up taste of the turtle meat. I could only taste the beef. A bit disappointed.

I ordered main course: Blackened Stuffed Pork Chop Mushroom Zinfandel, which was recommended by the waitress. Well, another disappointment. The dish was not bad, but also not good, the pork was bit cover cooked, too dry & chewy.

• rwlittle's Profile Photo

Landry's Seafood House: Good eats!

by rwlittle Updated Feb 12, 2005

Ate here on our first trip to New Orleans, so many years ago now. Don't remember what we ate, but it was seafood, and it was good!

Favorite Dish: M! ;) The waitress was kind enough to snap a pic of me with my favorite dish...

M and I at Landry's, New Orleans

Cafe Giovanni: Cafe Giovanni

by ATXtraveler Written Feb 8, 2005

We stopped in here for a small appetizer before hitting the Bourbon street fracass...

I enjoyed a nice little appetizer called Oysters Giovanni that we enjoyed very much.

I did not get the opportunity to eat a full course meal here, although this did look really high end... and everyone who has reviewed it, liked it!

Favorite Dish: Oysters Giovanni

Cafe Giovanni

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Acme Oyster: Great Gumbo!

by ATXtraveler Written Feb 8, 2005

Since we were in New Orleans on a mission to find great Cajun food, our roads led to the Acme Oyster house. With several locations throughout the Nawlins area, we figured it must be pleasing to the locals!

We were actually quite impressed with how good the food was, and the waitress was super nice! When asked which gumbo she liked the best... she said "Normally I am pretty opinionated... but on this one... I can't help you because they are both great!"

Acme Oyster Co.

Cafe du Monde: Morning Don't Miss Spot

by ATXtraveler Written Feb 7, 2005

One of New Orleans' iconic landmarks is the famous Cafe Du Monde. Known for its powder sugar laden decadent morning treat, the Beignet and its signature coffee with a taste of chickory, the Cafe is world famous.

It is open 24 hours, 7 days a week and only breaks for Christmas... or as the website states, when an occassional hurricane gets too close to Nawlins.

This place has been in business since 1862 and after one delicious bite, you will know that it will be open past 2062!

Favorite Dish: Beignets and a Cafe Au Lait.

Dave and Joe in front of Cafe Du Monde

Zeke's Restaurant - Old Town Metairie: Po Boys and More

by ATXtraveler Written Feb 7, 2005

Due to the high volume of hotel guests in the French Quarter during Mardi Gras, our group decided to stay out in Metairie, which is a small suburb of New Orleans. Instead of fighting the crowds for dinner downtown, we chose to eat at Zeke's in Old Town Metairie. We came in starving as any four former rugby players should and were treated to some excellent Po' Boys, and some hearty gumbo. Although I can not say this was the best gumbo I had ever had, it definitely hit the spot. I also tried the crawfish po' boy which was good, but not quite meaty enough for my liking. I probably would go with the sausage po boy if I went back... It looked a little heartier.

Zeke's in Metairie

• sunlovey's Profile Photo

Arnaud's: Ambiance, wine, delicious food with local flavor

by sunlovey Written Feb 6, 2005

This place is a New Orleans institution. It offers elegant ambiance, a delicious menu, a good wine list, highly trained staff... Perfect for a special ocassion...

Favorite Dish: We started with Shrimp Arnaud- shrimp in a tangy Creole remoulade sauce and mushrooms Veronique- baked caps stuffed with grapes and cheese tooo good.

For my entree´I had Shrimp & Scallops Eva- a port wine cream sauce with a side of jasmine rice

Tim had the breast of duck Ellen.

We were both thrilled with our entreés.

Price per person is without wine...

the dining room by day (from their Website)

New Orleans Hotels

Alexa Hotel
Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 3 Reviews
Warwick Hotel
Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
AC Hotel New Orleans Bourbon (French Quarter Area)
Good (3.0 out of 5.0) 4 Reviews
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews
Hyatt Place New Orleans/Convention Center
Good (3.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Instant Answers: New Orleans

Comments

New Orleans Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and New Orleans locals.
Map of New Orleans