Places to eat in New Orleans

Caught it with no queue !
    Go on - choose the Bananas Foster
    by ChrisSheena
    Don't leave without trying this

Most Viewed Restaurants in New Orleans

• Tom_Fields's Profile Photo

Serio's Deli: Where to Get a Good Po' Boy

by Tom_Fields Written Dec 18, 2006

One other thing that every New Orleans visitor should have, at least once, is a "po' boy" sandwich. There are many different kinds, with chicken, seafood, cold cuts, vegetables, and more. The one that is a true New Orleans classic is called the muffuletta. Made with several different types of Italian sausage and other meats, it reflects the city's Italian heritage.

Favorite Dish: Try the Muffuletta, of course. But the other po boys are excellent, too.

• fdrich29's Profile Photo

Deja Vu: Open 24 Hours

by fdrich29 Written Aug 14, 2006

This is the first bar I have ever encountered that had the following sign in the front window:

Open 24 Hours

Here I am in New Orleans with a few friends, and we all intend to partake of the wonders Bourbon Street has to offer, but Deja Vu, which was a block away from the hotel...it's like someone was smiling down... or up at us.

I strolled into Deja Vu at 3:30am, after Bourbon Street closed down. I walked into the bar and immediately I felt like I was in another place, another time. Their website says this place was an opium den in the 1880's and the atmosphere feels like it still could be. There is nothing pretty about Deja Vu. It offers no apologies, no excuses. It is what it is, like it or get the hell out.

I couldn't help but notice the bar was full of women, and as it turned out they were all strippers getting off work or prostitutes.

At 5am a beautiful woman named Jade came and sat down next to me (most likely because I had a sign over my head that said "Hey I'm not from around these parts) and we start to talk...and talk and talk. Finally at 6:30am she says she's going to call a cab and we're going back to her place.

OK first off, I'm not an idiot. I may have had a few too many but I know I'm in one of the most dangerous cities going. I ask the bartender, who I have been chatting with for most of the night, if it's safe to go with her. He says sure, go ahead, I'll be fine, go have fun. So I go out and meet her by the cab.

When I get out she asks me my name and acts like we hadn't been talking for hours. She starts to pull me into the cab. I think better of it and politely excuse myself and crawl back into the bar. I ask the bartender what was up and he admits that she was just going to rob me and "probably" wasn't going to hurt me, even though she had a gun in her purse. I called him an *** and proceded to sit down and order another beer.

At 10:30am my friends came and got me for breakfast. I truly lived in those seven hours I spent at Deja Vu.

• Crazy Johnnie's Steakhouse: cheap eats - great steaks

by tulajane Written Jun 18, 2006

Crazy Johnny's is actually in Metairie - not in New Orleans proper. It's GREAT!! You can get a slab of prime rib there for under $15.00!! Cooked to order! With sides! And the BBQ shrimp is awesome.

And not just the food is great -- the people watching is unparalleled. This place is in the heart of Italian Metairie - kind of like the Sopranos meet New Orleans. There are lots of interesting people to watch and lots of interesting conversations to overhear. Everybody goes there so you'll see people on dates, families, older people, groups of friends, people who've known each other forever...

It's a wonderful restaurant with great food for an excellent price.

Favorite Dish: BBQ Shrimp. Possibly the best in the city - especially for the price. You get about a dozen head-on shrimp swimming in a spicy, buttery, herby sauce. You peel and eat 'em and soak your dippin' bread in the sauce. You leave full and still have money left over for dessert or more cocktails.

• School Holidays
    • Seniors

• ErinInMD's Profile Photo

Le Petit Espresso: Great little coffeehouse

by ErinInMD Updated Apr 14, 2006

The restaurant has a perfect location on Decatur street. You can sit and read the paper or watch the people walk by. Along with coffee, Le Petit Espresso offers pastries, sandwiches and salads. It's a great option of you want a light lunch.

This was my first visit and I cannot say one way or another if Katrina has impacted their business. It had several customers inside enjoying coffee and a steady stream of people coming in to grab coffee or a quick bite to eat.

They do not take credit cards, so bring some cash.

Favorite Dish: I had a tuna salad sandwich on fresh made multi-grain bread. The bread had wheat germ in it. It was very, very good.

• wayne0k's Profile Photo

Hell's Kitchen: Best Brick Oven Pizza in the Quarter

by wayne0k Updated Jan 12, 2006

Who wouldn't want to eat in Hell? Actually, I took many of my meals at this simple shop because the food was excellent and the price was better than most. Hell's Kitchen was less of a tourist's destination and more of a local's lunch and dinner place. Best of all - they served a very fine brick-oven pizza, which, as far as I'm concerned, is the hallmark of any good city. Hell's Kitchen was ranked in the top 10 of New Orleans' pizza houses by www.bestofneworleans.com ... and I agree.

Hell's Kitchen can be found at 1201 Burgundy St (504) 525-4355

Favorite Dish: Pizzas covered with fresh veggies. Also worth checking out their sandwiches. Many menu items are good options for vegetarian diners.

• wayne0k's Profile Photo

Creole Kosher Kitchen: Creole, Kosher and Vegetarian

by wayne0k Written Jan 12, 2006

This restaurant was another great find in the heart of the French Quarter, offering vegetarian options on every menu including gumbo and jambalaya. The prices were far less than most, the dining area was small and comfortable and the service was homey... I think we got to meet nearly everyone from this family-run restaurant as another family member presented each course from youngest to oldest. It was almost like being at home for a holiday. Great food and lot's of it!

Favorite Dish: I had the vegetarian versions of the gumbo and the jambalaya and both were excellent! Cooked to perfection by people who care.

• atufft's Profile Photo

Magazine Po Boy: Garden District Fast Food

by atufft Written Jan 8, 2006

Sometimes Po Boys are compared to Subway sandwiches and other such concoctions served in a French Bun. Except for the fact that the Po Boy could be improved by being served in a Sour Dough French bun, the ingredients and flavor of a Po Boy is generally exceptional wherever one goes in New Orleans. However, the number of places to eat thins down a bit within the Garden District. Luckily for us, we were able to walk the dog past the beautiful masions and then stroll into the Magazine Po Boy. The outside tables and inside tables with open windows are a pleasant place to gaze again at the old masions. Maffettas are also served.

Favorite Dish: I had a maffetta which was quite adequate, and sipped a root beer. But, the menu really is very complete in this place. Your bill has to be paid for in cash, but an ATM is also in the building.

• Travel with Pets

• Margaritaville--New Orleans: Storyville Tavern [Margaritaville]

by Foriano Updated Dec 29, 2005

With a name like Storyville Tavern you know you could be in for an unususal experience. Here a song is not just music & lyrics, but an invitation to the paradoxical parrot of earth salts. Within these walls are the united souls of Parrot Heads from the north, east and west.

Favorite Dish: Mollusk creole with mustard sauce.

• Beaches

• vigi's Profile Photo

Are all restaurants good in New Orleans?

by vigi Written Apr 22, 2004

People said you can find good food wherever restaurant you go in N'Awlins... well... I proof this is WRONG after I had my first lunch in this place. We have been looking for other restaurants, and were too tired of walking, so, went into this corner place near Royal Street. I forgot the name of this place, but the food sucks, they cannot even make simple green salad!!!

• sahel578's Profile Photo

1175: The best Kept Secret in NOLA

by sahel578 Updated Dec 9, 2003

This place is like some secret mafioso hangout. Its on Tchapatoulas right next to the Convention Center, just under the highrise of the freeway. There is no name, just the building number and it looks like somebody's house.
    Just look for all the Cadillac's parked outside and go on. You will probably have to wait for a table.. but its so worth it. Get the caviar appitizer with the vodka shot!
    I lived in Baton Rouge while I was in college and haunted NOLA every weekend... out of all the places that I ate.. this was the best!

• Fashion Cafe: Fashion Cafe

by KristinaLMF Written Aug 24, 2002

Its the same concept as a Planet Hollywood or Hard Rock Cafe except it has all fashion paraphernailia.

To give you an idea of the surroundings..Here is the Dress Ali Landry wore when she was crowned Miss USA. The world now knows her as the Dorrito girl, but she was born in Lousiana. They are very proud.

Favorite Dish: Fashion Cafe has a great menu with lots of variety. They have great chicken sandwiches.

• dustmon's Profile Photo

Starbucks: weird choice

by dustmon Written Nov 16, 2012

Not sure why you would come to New Orleans and go to a Seattle coffee shop===there are many cool places to get local coffee in Nawlins, so just don't do it.

• Study Abroad
    • Work Abroad

• crazygal59's Profile Photo

Eats to go.

by crazygal59 Written Feb 27, 2009

There are many fine dining restaurants in this city. However if you want food on the go, there are many street vendors that have pretty good food.

• hackenbush's Profile Photo

Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop: Romantic drinks

by hackenbush Written Jun 18, 2007

It's a a nice small.old, romantic spot. There's a nice piano in one corner and if you want a quiet conversation, drink , and dark lighting.......this is the place

Favorite Dish: They will out do Pat O's hurricane

Clarion Collection Garden District Hotel New Orleans
Hotel New Orleans Convention Center
Latest: Mar 30, 2014

Instant Answers: New Orleans

Comments

New Orleans Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and New Orleans locals.
Map of New Orleans