Places to eat in New Orleans

Caught it with no queue !
    Go on - choose the Bananas Foster
    by ChrisSheena
    Don't leave without trying this

Most Viewed Restaurants in New Orleans

• Bunsch's Profile Photo

Tracey's: "The Original Irish Channel Bar"

by Bunsch Updated May 24, 2011

There were a whole gaggle of folks arriving in NOLA for Tulane graduation, bringing with them the kind of appetites you develop on planes these days where no food is available. So the graduate suggested we all meet at Tracey's, which has been a local watering hole since 1949. It began life just down the street in a locale known as "Parasol's" but moved to the present location at Third and Magazine a few years later, bringing both the old-fashioned feeling of the original and a large collection of parasols which now adorn the ceiling.

Tracey's does have a full bar, and produces salads and a variety of "sides" which reflect the tastes of the clientele, but by far the most popular items on the menu are the 8" po'boy sandwiches. All those out-of-towners chowed down, and a good time was had by all, washed down by big tankards of Abita.

Favorite Dish: The po'boys are simply divine. I tried three different ones -- shrimp, "erster", and their signature roast beef -- and I think the shrimp was my favorite, but they were ALL excellent.

• School Holidays

The Corner Oyster House: Oysters on Jackson Square

by Bunsch Updated Jun 8, 2011

Our visit to The Corner was a mistake. One of our group spotted it and said, "Hey, 35 years ago, the place on this corner made the best muffuletta I'd ever tasted. Let's see if it is still as good!" And, since it was just about to start pouring rain and everybody was hungry, we all agreed. But the waitress (who had only been around for the past 15 years) claimed that no muffuletta had ever been on the menu. What was on offer was a lot of seafood, and it wasn't bad. The boiled crawfish were extremely spicy, but those who had ordered them liked them that way; the boiled shrimp was certainly fresh. I sampled something called "gumbalaya" which was, as you might expect, a combination of chicken and sausage gumbo with jambalaya. Everybody had Abita. It seems to me that there were fries or onion rings, too.

The decor is very much sports bar with lots of mirrors.

This place benefits from a very good site on Jackson Square and close to the French Market, in a town which is renowned for great restaurants. If it were located elsewhere, perhaps I'd feel more strongly positive about it. As it was, this came in a distant sixth in our dining experiences and would likely have fallen further if we'd stayed in NOLA longer.

• Disabilities

• Bunsch's Profile Photo

Ignatius Eatery: A Confederacy of Dunces?

by Bunsch Updated Jun 12, 2011

When I arrived in New Orleans, it was already mid-afternoon and somehow lunch had not been found anywhere between Avery Island and the Crescent City. After stowing my bags at our wonderful B&B, The Chimes, I asked the Tulane graduate-to-be where I might find a nice dish of gumbo. Ah, she had just the place! Shortly, we'd ensconced ourselves at Ignatius, where the menu included a number of N'Awlins favorites. It's unpretentious, a little hole-in-the-wall kind of spot. I stuck to my guns and had the gumbo, which was rich and delicious, and we both enjoyed small bottles of Co'cola. There are obviously a lot of other choices at Ignatius, many of which are chalked onto the blackboard, but I never got back to try any of them. I will say it was a little more expensive than I'd expected. Maybe you're paying for the literary allusions?

The surroundings were pleasant, and the service was fine. I have since read a series of scathing reviews. All I can say is that our experience was okay and that I enjoyed my gumbo.

• School Holidays

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Abita Brewing: only for die hards

by richiecdisc Written May 4, 2009

Abita Brewing wasn't really on my short list of places to go to when in New Orleans. I like some of their beers well enough and had a great time visiting the brewery 14 years ago but with only a couple says in town I didn't want to weigh my wife's first visit down with too much “beer time.” It is also a ways out of town in Abita Springs. But when we arrived in town to the unexpected French Quarter Festival crowds we figured it was a good day to explore some of the outer parts of the city. What we didn't know is it was also the Strawberry Festival and we found ourselves ensnared in some heavy duty traffic just when we least expected it. It seemed pointless to try and venture back into the Quarter and find parking again but it was a bit early to go back to our room too. So, we looked at a map and it seemed the easiest way back to our room in Slidell, LA was to head over the huge bridge spanning the Lake Pontchartrain, thus bypassing downtown New Orleans. As chance would have it this brought us right to Abita Springs. You might have thought I had this planned and believe me my wife more than casually thought it too. A friend had told me the brewery had been renovated but I was very pleasantly surprised to find a little beer garden outside though by now the sun was setting and it would be too cool to sit out there. Inside was less exciting but there were ten taps and I even saw a hand pump signaling cask beer, something I would never have dreamed of from the fairly mainstream brewery.

Favorite Dish: My friend told me that the food was pretty good too so we figured since we were here we'd have something to eat with our beer tasting session. We both opted for Po Boys with Doreen having the fried oyster version and me opting for the combination of fried oysters, shrimp and catfish. Both looked big but it was too much bread and not enough seafood, and to top things off the bread was stale! The cask beer turned out to be a German style dunkleweizen, an odd but interesting choice to be served in such fashion. It was unfiltered ruddy brown with a huge rocky head and dried fruit nose. It had a nice banana clove palate as befits the style. It was not quite as effervescent as you would want for a German style wheat beer but that is generally the case with beers served on cask. Overall, it was very interesting and the best beer of the lot. The Four Grain was a sweet bready brew which was cloying while the Restoration Ale had a few more hops though not nearly enough to rescue it from a similar fate. The Alt was amber with low carbonation and a fruity palate. It again lacked a good hop presence needed to dry it out as you would expect with this style of beer. The Jackamo IPA was amber with a slight hop nose. Turbo Dog is normally one of my favorite German style dunkles beers from the states but this tap version was a lot sweeter and cloying than what I've had in bottles. Citrus and malt in the palate but balanced well with hops to dry it out without being overly bitter. Not bad. Andy Gator is their barley wine and how they could brew a beer of this strength with such little flavor is beyond me. Sweet and malty with barely any hops is a bad recipe for a barley wine. I remember enjoying this as a top off of Turbo Dog mixed with Purple Haze on my first trip to the brewery 14 years ago but it was free and my palate wasn't as developed. Time and money do make a difference and I'd say an Abita visit is for die hards only.

• Beer Tasting

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo

The Crystal Room at Le Pavillon: Impeccable Service....

by VeronicaG Updated Dec 5, 2008

Doesn't the fire look inviting? The Crystal Room greets guests for breakfast and lunch buffets and for romantic firelit dinners every day. We received phenomenal service each time we dined here, thanks to our waiters Edgar and Lucy, who anticipated our every whim. I loved the ornate decor surrounding us, as well!

Breakfast buffet each morning consisted of a fresh fruit bowl, yogurt, assorted sweet rolls, tasty muffins, hearty oatmeal, French toast, scrambled eggs, apple smoked bacon, flavorful sausage and chef-prepared omelets or waffles ($17.99).

Our Thanksgiving meal was thoroughly enjoyed by the glowing fireplace:

A bubbly glass of champagne
    a basket of warm bread
    crispy tossed salad
    choice of Louisiana style gumbo (which I ordered) or roasted red pepper and eggplant soup (Jim's choice),
    tender roasted turkey with corn bread stuffing.
    bread pudding or sweet potato pie (a delight!).

Our traditional holiday meal was $49.00. Other entree choices available as part of the Thanksgiving meal were: Prime Rib with Demi Glaze or Red Snapper.

We were impressed when after pushing our original dinner reservations back a half hour, a table by the fireplace had been held for us as originally requested!

Special hotel packages offering complimentary breakfast and free parking ($28 per night otherwise) are available.

• Seniors
    • Singles

• atufft's Profile Photo

Magazine Po Boy: Garden District Fast Food

by atufft Written Jan 8, 2006

Sometimes Po Boys are compared to Subway sandwiches and other such concoctions served in a French Bun. Except for the fact that the Po Boy could be improved by being served in a Sour Dough French bun, the ingredients and flavor of a Po Boy is generally exceptional wherever one goes in New Orleans. However, the number of places to eat thins down a bit within the Garden District. Luckily for us, we were able to walk the dog past the beautiful masions and then stroll into the Magazine Po Boy. The outside tables and inside tables with open windows are a pleasant place to gaze again at the old masions. Maffettas are also served.

Favorite Dish: I had a maffetta which was quite adequate, and sipped a root beer. But, the menu really is very complete in this place. Your bill has to be paid for in cash, but an ATM is also in the building.

• Travel with Pets

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Annette's: convenient and cheap for NO

by richiecdisc Updated May 4, 2009

Sometimes you just have to wing it. Annette's was that kind of place. We had a hell of time finding a parking space even in a garage when we unexpectedly turned up in New Orleans during the French Quarter Festival. This little place was right next to our garage, was busy, and had prices that looked reasonable posted outside. This is a very simple dinner type eatery, nothing fancy.

Favorite Dish: We split an order of Red Beans & Rice and Gumbo, both New Orleans staples. The food was tasty and for the area, relatively inexpensive at $10 including tax and tip per meal. The servings were not overly big and the unfortunately brought bread after we had already gobbled down our food!

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Vieux Carre Pizza: Best pizza by the slice I've ever had!

by Jefie Updated Jun 4, 2011

Again I have to blame - or rather thank - Bourbon Street for this one! After spending a few hours on various dance floors one evening, I found myself craving for that late night snack and knew I would probably feel much better in the morning if I had something to eat before going to bed. That's when we spotted Vieux Carre Pizza on St. Louis Street. I wasn't expecting much when we walked in, just a quick, cheap snack, but the pizza looked and smelled absolutely delicious - and it turned out to be one of the best pizzas I've ever had! In fact, it was so good that we ended up going back the next night to try a different combination. In the end, my favourite one was the Bourbon Special, made with chicken, spinach, pesto and feta cheese. It's only a small restaurant with a few stools for customers, but Vieux Carre Pizza might very well be one of the French Quarter's best kept secrets!

• vigi's Profile Photo

Are all restaurants good in New Orleans?

by vigi Written Apr 22, 2004

People said you can find good food wherever restaurant you go in N'Awlins... well... I proof this is WRONG after I had my first lunch in this place. We have been looking for other restaurants, and were too tired of walking, so, went into this corner place near Royal Street. I forgot the name of this place, but the food sucks, they cannot even make simple green salad!!!

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

Gene's Po-Boys: Kudos for the Pink Po-Boy Shop!

by TravellerMel Updated Jan 9, 2008

Gene's Po-Boys is your typical New Orleans local dumpy dive that has wonderful food. They are open 24 hours, but go for lunch since the neighborhood can be a little sketchy at night. The pink building is distinctive, (it is featured on the cover of Mem Shannon's CD "A Cab Driver's Blues") the employees are friendly, and the po-boys are great - and CHEAP!

Since Hurricane Katrina, Gene's is only serving three kinds of Po-Boys - Hamburger, Roast Beef, and Ham & Cheese. The roast beef is my favorite - so much gravy that it runs down your shirt sleeve if you aren't careful. The bread is always crunchy and fresh - the key to a good po-boy - and warmed to perfection.

The sandwiches are huge (two people could easily share one) and come with a free fountain drink. That's it - no chips, no fries, no desserts. They have a couple of beaten up tables and chairs if you want to eat in, but I recommend getting them to go, and taking a bench at Latrobe Park at the French Market or sitting on a step at the Moonwalk to enjoy your po-boy in an environment that has more charm.

Favorite Dish: The roast beef po-boy. Seriously- Mind-bogglingly good.

• Study Abroad

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Oceana Grill: A Great Dinner Spot

by ATXtraveler Written Nov 24, 2008

During a trip to New Orleans, there is one thing you will have to get from a culinary perspective, and that is Cajun food. With a great mixture of spices and culture, Cajun food is a culinary delight, and I tried my best to eat it at every meal.

Oceana Grill was the choice for our Friday night dinner because of its ability to support a large party of 12, and it turned out to be a great choice. This party was a surprise party for my friend Josh, and the restaurant was very accommodating.

I started with the barbecued shrimp appetizer which was very well spiced, not too hot, but very flavorful. I was a little disappointed that the shrimp was not already peeled, but that did not become too difficult for me to work through. After a delicious appetizer, I chose to go with the taste of New Orleans, which contains Creole jambalaya, crawfish etouffée, red beans and rice with smoked sausage. What a mixture!! Every bit of it was worth every bite, but in particular, the jambalaya was some of the best I have ever tasted.

We finished this up with a great amaretto birthday cake, which was also provided by the restaurant. I hope I get the opportunity to eat here again!

• kokoryko's Profile Photo

Cochon: Dans le cochon, tout est bon !

by kokoryko Written Jul 22, 2011

During a walk around noon in Warehouse district, my nose was titillated by some pleasant smells, and looking around I spotted this Cochon where from they came; I decided I MUST have a dinner there!
    When I arrived there the following evening, the employees told me I should have reserved, and I had to wait at the bar till a table gets free, and I began to drink a draught beer when suddenly a firm hand hit my shoulder and “Heyyyy! Hermann!!!. . . etc. . .” Kjell-B. J., a very good Norwegian colleague I know since 15 years, greeted me and invited me to his table where he celebrated his birthday with a bunch of other geoscientist colleagues. His company paid the dinner, so we did not refrain from ordering what we felt the best food and the best wines; we sat at a long table on the sidewalk of the street, in the cool breeze of N-O.
    The staff is excellent, there, as they know what is served (food or wine), explain a bit of Cajun food secrets, give good advice about wines, and are quite swift.
    I decided for some “exotic” food, like fried alligator with chilli and garlic, catfish. . . . Don’t remember what I had for desert, but if you get easily water in your mouth when reading about food, have a look at the Website. Californian Sauvignon and Cabernet and other wines were on the table. We had a wonderful dinner and this (and one of the lady colleagues) even convinced me to go the night away in one of the Bourbon street music bars.
    Well, a nice evening at this restaurant I cannot do less than recommend, but make a reservation, it can be crowded on evenings!

• Music

• kokoryko's Profile Photo

MRB: Jazz at MRB Bar and Grill

by kokoryko Written Jul 22, 2011

Jazz in the courtyard! When you begin to feel hungry and look for a place to have some food you sometimes step in places which offer far beyond your expectations. . . certainly! It was a bit crowded in the main room, but when coming in the backyard, I have been surprised and delighted to hear Dixieland jazz, and the guys on the stage looked very happy to play for the dining crowd (^picture 1).
    So, I went to the counter, ordered Cajun sausage and potatoes, a big beer, found a place at a table and listened to jazz for a (long) while.
    A German (from West Virginia!) brass band was playing then, matching well with my sausage (!) for a while; I had a nice beginning of evening here: good music, relaxed atmosphere, good food and funny chats with my table neighbours. That sort of place is much more enjoyable than the drunken crowds in the Bourbon Street establishments!
    I passed by during day time, and this place looks very discreet on St Philip Street (picture 5), and beware, you may find it by chance, and if you look specially for it, you may pass by without noticing.
    Oh! By the way: MRB: Mississipi River Bottom

• Music

• doug48's Profile Photo

the pearl: historic restaurant

by doug48 Written May 31, 2009

the pearl is a local lunch spot located on st. charles ave. in the commercial district. this cafeteria style restaurant offers simple cajun fare, seafood, and cooked oysters. even though the restaurant is called an oyster bar they no longer serve raw oysters. if you are looking for fine dining the pearl is not for you but for those who want to take in the local culture and history of new orleans this is a fun place to stop in for lunch.

• Business Travel
    • Architecture

• Tom_In_Madison's Profile Photo

Gene's: ANother great po'boy restaurant in NO

by Tom_In_Madison Written Jun 25, 2008

They have a limited menu, but it doesn’t seem to hurt business. A ham & cheese po’boy with a free soda runs about $9. There is only 1 or 2 tables here, but a park is only a block or two away with plenty of bench seating. The woman taking your orders was a bit surly, but the sandwich was done very quickly.

New Orleans Hotels

Hotel Ste. Helene
1896 O'malley House
Latest: Apr 9, 2014

Instant Answers: New Orleans

Comments

New Orleans Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and New Orleans locals.
Map of New Orleans