Mother's, New Orleans

4 out of 5 stars 7 Reviews

401 Poydras St, New Orleans, LA 70130 +1 504-523-9656

mother's
    by doug48
    my mixed plate was a hearty affair
    by richiecdisc
    as you can see, they can make a salad
    by richiecdisc
  • jelw's Profile Photo

Mothers: A deli like no other

by jelw Written Feb 21, 2012

This is an unusual deli kinda joint. You enter, get in line, and grab a menu and wind your way to the cook area to order. You then pay and find a table. A waitperson will find you and bring your meal to you.

The breakfast is supposed to be outstanding. We however enjoyed our lunch. We tasted the gumbo, a house special po'boy with debris (the yummy droppings and drippings of the house roasted beef), and a shrimp po boy.

Atmosphere: Oddly enough the back room we were in was very clean yet the atmosphere is grunge. It It appeared they had layered paint to look old and a bit grungy. Odd.

Favorite Dish: The gumbo tasted delicious and the shrimp in the po boy were fresh cooked to perfection and lovely. The po boy itself hid the delicious large shrimp under to much breading for my taste.
    The debris on the other po boy moistened this sandwich (Hoagie) perfectly. It was rich and yummy.

Mothers restaurant

• lizzytex's Profile Photo

Mother's: Fantastic!

by lizzytex Written May 13, 2011

I never go to New Orleans without visiting Mother's! They have AMAZING food - especially the ham! It's a great place to go for breakfast: sunnyside over eggs, grits, ham and homemade biscuits. I promise you will not be sorry! Just give yourself plenty of time - there is always a line outside the door to get in!

• apbeaches's Profile Photo

Mother': We got on the line out the door twice!

by apbeaches Updated Apr 4, 2011

Historic restaurant from 1938 in an old brick building downtown. My husband doesn't wait on lines; but we did twice for mother's. The line moved inside quickly and passed the huge counter where we saw the food being served. At the cashier we ordered and paid for our food. We brought our receipt to a table and a waiter gave us cutlery, took our receipt and returned with a tray filled with our food. Everything looked and smelled so wonderful!

Favorite Dish: We enjoyed the jambalaya, gumbo,oyster po'boys, the craw-fish etoeffee, and we shared an amazing piece of pecan pie.

• doug48's Profile Photo

mother's: warehouse district

by doug48 Updated Apr 4, 2011

mother's is an interesting cajun restaurant in the warehouse district. mother's is a very popular lunch spot and people line up at the door to get in. mother's is a deli style restaurant and there is no table service. they offer simple cajun cuisine moderately priced. far and away not the best restaurant in new orleans but still an interesting new orleans experience.

mother's

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Mother's: talk about varying opinions

by richiecdisc Updated Apr 4, 2011

My first trip to Mother's was 14 years ago and I was unfortunately still in the throws of food poisoning so wound up losing half of my sandwich before returning to the table to finish off what was a tasty Po Boy. I looked forward to returning but didn't get a chance until this visit. I had read on the Internet some very varying reviews of both the food and the place. For starters, if you are looking for a fancy restaurant or food, please go some place else. This is a cross between a greasy spoon late night steak shop and truck stop diner. It's not what you would call a clean place and if such things turn you off then again head to another of many dining choices in New Orleans. It's served cafeteria style too so don't come to be waited on either. New Orleans is noted as one of the country's great fine dining towns but Mother's is not the place to expect such food. It is down home cooking and as with most things related to such personal matters, everyone has their own idea of what home cooking is. There is generally a long line to get in but we went later in the evening and it wasn't overly busy though certainly not empty. We got our food quickly and found an empty if untidy table easily enough.

Favorite Dish: My wife got a fried oyster salad and I got a combination platter of jambalaya, etouffee, red beans & rice, potato salad and collard greens. Neither plate was inexpensive which is what you might expect from the surroundings but my experience in New Orleans is NOTHING is cheap. That said, the meals were quite good size. I though my wife's choice was odd but she had her first raw oysters two days earlier and loved them. She then had an oyster Po Boy which was awful and she now wanted to give fried oysters a chance but was not in the mood for anything heavy. Surprisingly, the salad was of a very nice quality and the oysters were perfectly done and not greasy in the least. My conglomeration was quite tasty and filling. If I had this at somebody's house I'd be happy to be invited over again. Would I pay $45 for the two meals with desert again? Maybe, if I was in New Orleans again but that happens what, every decade or so? The bread pudding was without reservation the best either of us ever had. I'd go back to Mother's just for that!

my mixed plate was a hearty affair as you can see, they can make a salad bread pudding to die for

• Jeff42's Profile Photo

Mother's: Over rated but Decent enough

by Jeff42 Updated Apr 4, 2011

I stumbled in completely by accident while walking from my hotel, Harrah's, up Poydras. Mother's is a famous landmark in NOLA and most of you have probably seen it on TV from travel shows and post Katrina documentaries. I decided to have breakfast and see for myself what all the hype is about.

Mother's is a quaint little eatery, famous for being the first restaurant to reopen after Katrina. The owner, who sits at a small table next to the door as you walk in, invited several employees to park their FEMA trailers in the parking lot so they would have a place to live while returning to work.

As you walk in, you grab a menu on the right and head up to the counter at the far end, where the cash registers are, to order. Celeb pics line the front wall. After you order and pay, you take a seat and wait for your food.

(I noticed this problem at other NOLA eateries, such as Fuddrucker's inside Harrah's. Whenever the staff are confronted with 3 or more orders at once, they completely lose all organization and mix everyone's orders up. It was the same here at Mother's. It took me 10-15 minutes to get my food as it was delivered to the wrong table).

I order the Mae's omelette and 2 large OJs which came to $17.02. The omelette was just OK but the grits were oustanding! The biscuit was very good also. Like other NOLA breakfast places, the prices are high for what you get. Mother's is no exception. I wouldn't eat here again. "7 On Fulton", inside The Riverfront Hotel (across from The Riverwalk Mall) is a much better value. For the same amount of money you get better quality food, larger portions, and impeccable service. The atmosphere, decor and ambiance are excellent also.

Final note: I met a young drunk man panhandling in the French Quarter. He recommended Mother's to me because "they always give me free food, rice and beans...". I don't think Mother's should be enabling young drunk men to remain young drunk men. This doesn't sound like a very motherly thing to do.

Favorite Dish: The grits were the best I've ever tasted. I usually hate grits but not here.

Mother's front entrance Famous Mother's Inside Mother's entrance facing the ordering count

• Tom_In_Madison's Profile Photo

Mother's: Po'boys and more

by Tom_In_Madison Written Jun 25, 2008

The place was packed for lunch, even at 11:00am. I had a turkey po’boy. The cut of meat was very top-notch, and the sauce was very good too, it had a mustard taste to it. I wish there was more sauce on it. $10 for 1 sandwich. They supposedly have a good breakfast too.

Favorite Dish: po'boys

Instant Answers: New Orleans

Comments

Hotels Near Mother's
3.0 out of 5 stars