Mr. B's Bistro, New Orleans

by Virtuous_Tourist
  • yankeepeddler's Profile Photo

Mr. B's Bistro: Mr B's Bistro Outstanding

by yankeepeddler Written Nov 26, 2010

Mr B's Bistro is part of the famed Brennan's empire and it shows. The food quality is excellent, but you will pay for it. Unlike other restaurants around the country, entrees are pretty much ala carte - so be prepared to spend about $100 per couple - easily. That having been said, you won't be sorry. You have to treat yourself to at least one good meal - and if you agree, Mr. B's would be my pick.

Favorite Dish: My mother (in her 70's) is usually a pretty tough cookie when it comes to dining out. She ordered the half chicken (which we all pecked at) and everyone agreed, it was the best chicken we've ever had in our lives. It had the distinct taste and aroma of a cajun inspired dish, but the spices were just right and not over powering. I ordered the crab cakes for an appetizer. Being from Baltimore, I consider myself somewhat of a crab cake aficionado and these cakes were, once again, the best I've ever had. Double thumbs up.

Be sure to sample the local beers ( I am from Baltimore, after all)

• hackenbush's Profile Photo

Mr. B's Bistro: Mr B's

by hackenbush Written Jun 18, 2007

Our first night in the city, and usually our final lunch, is always spent here. It's right around the corner from where we stay and the food and service are always outstanding.

Favorite Dish: Love the gumbo ya ya .........enjoy watching others try to eat barbeque shrimp and not get messy.Excellent bar

• tpaul's Profile Photo

Mr. B's Bistro: Mr. B's - Local Flavor at its Best

by tpaul Updated Mar 8, 2005

Mr. B's was our first dining experience in New Orleans, and in my opinion, ended up being the best. The restaurant offers superb classic dishes like gumbo, and some interesting twists on the classics, such as pasta jambalaya.

Everyone was exceptionally nice, willing to accomodate a group of 14 on a Thursday evening. Our service was great, and our waiter spent a lot of time joking around with all of us.

Mr. B's is on the high end of New Orleans restaurants, and you end up paying for that. But, as I always say, you have to expect that a restaurant at this level will be fairly expensive. All in all, however, Mr. B's was reasonable in my book. Having dined in many high-end restaurants in NYC, I don't think twice about spending $50 a plate for excellent food & service.

Favorite Dish: The Gumbo Ya Ya was by far the best food I ate while in New Orleans, and I made sure by ordering it at every restaurant I went to. The chicken in this dish was so delicate, so tender, that it literally melted in my mouth. Mix that with some andouille sausage & a little spicy heat, and you have an outstanding dish.

For dessert, I figured, I'd continue with my traditional southern fare and opted for the Pecan Pie. Ohhh mama was I glad I did. By far the absolute best pecan pie I've ever had in my life.

• baylisa's Profile Photo

Mr. B's Bistro: Mr. B's Bistro-BBQ Shrimp

by baylisa Written Oct 31, 2004
    BBQ Shrimp

I have visited here three out of my four trips to New Orleans. The service is always excellent and so is the food.
    I would reccommend going for lunch instead of dinner. The portions are the same, and it is less expensive at lunch.

Favorite Dish: BBQ SHRIMP!!!! Roll up up your sleeves, put on the bib (who cares how you look) and dig in.
    I have tasted other dishes there also, and haven't come accross a bad one yet.

• Virtuous_Tourist's Profile Photo

Mr. B's Bistro: a favorite with locals and tourists alike

by Virtuous_Tourist Written Nov 25, 2003

Instead, I will give other patrons' experiences:

From fodors.com:

Fantastic meal, fantastic service with no penalty for being alone.

The Gumbo YaYa is good, but we thought Acme Oyster had better gumbo.

This place is typical of "tourist trap" destination restaurants.

Overall, Mr. B's was okay, but I wouldn't go back. Better food elsewhere in N.O.

Mr. B's Bistro is a sophisticated haven amidst the frat party atmosphere of the French Quarter.

Intimate and romantic, the atmosphere is perfect for a dinner date.

Great food, great atmosphere. Waiters work like a swiss watch.

This restaurant was recommended to me by a few friends. I don't know what they were thinking.

Hands down, the best meal we had in New Orleans (and not the most expensive, either).

Favorite Dish: BBQ Shrimp and Gumbo

Instant Answers: New Orleans

Comments

Hotels Near Mr. B's Bistro
4.5 out of 5 stars