Mulate's, New Orleans

3.5 out of 5 stars 6 Reviews

The Outlet Collection at Riverwalk, 201 Julia St, New Orleans, LA 70130 +1 504-522-1492

• Mulate's: Didn't let me in just before close

by leeboden Written Jun 29, 2012

I travel from Phoenix to NOLA often. At this time of year the only nonstop flight on Southwest arrives at 10 pm. It is Friday and almost every restaurant is closed before I can even check into my hotel. So this time I used my phone to look for a place to eat and found Mulate's closed at 11 pm. I called as I never trust the web. I was told they were indeed open until 11 pm for food. I asked it they would seat me up to 11 pm and was told yes. Well I arrived just before 11 and found the door locked and when some one opened it to get out I went in and was promptly escorted back out with out even an apology. Mind you I told the man that I had called and what I was told. I didn't here a word from him and only was shown an open door to leave. Well I did and I will not ever go there again. Mulate's, you need to have respect at the very least for people who walk in your door. An "I'm sorry", or something more would have been nice and not just shown the door. I think I was inside for less that 10 seconds. Bad for you Mulate's!

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Mulate's - Warehouse District

by Ewingjr98 Written Oct 4, 2011

A group of six of us wandered over to Mulate's in the Warehouse District following a few hurricanes at Pat O'Briens. It was probably a 20 minute walk, but it was worth it for some great Cajun food. The live zydeco music was a little much, but the food was good.

We started with the appetizer platter, which was expensive at about $50, but it was massive and tasty, with grilled alligator, grilled frog legs, fried catfish, stuffed mushrooms, spicy beef meat pies, fried calamari, and Cajun boudin blood sausage.

For my meal, I had the catfish Mulate's, a grilled filet of catfish topped with crawfish etouffee, and served with jambalaya, sauteed vegetables, and a potato. After the huge appetizer, I really didn't need a meal, but the food was surprisingly good for a place that seems a but touristy.

The original Mulate's was opened in 1980 in a small town called Breaux Bridge, Louisiana. The New Orleans location opened in 1990 in a warehouse built around 1885, which stands today right across from the New Orleans Convention Center. They claim to serve over 250,000 customers each year in the huge facility.

• Bunsch's Profile Photo

Mulate's: Cajun specialties on offer

by Bunsch Written May 28, 2011

Mulate's bills itself as the "original Cajun restaurant" so it is a great place to come in and try some things you might not otherwise experience. Alligator, for example. (No, I don't think it tastes like chicken!) It's also an unpretentious place where live music is available nightly -- and you can dance off some of that fabulous bread pudding, too!

Favorite Dish: Mulate's Cajun Seafood Platter features their famous stuffed crab, fried crawfish tails, fried butterflied shrimp, crispy fried catfish, and fresh fried oysters. Served with jambalaya and french fries. $19.99

It's the place to be

• doug48's Profile Photo

mulates: warehouse district

by doug48 Written May 31, 2009

mulates is a good cajun restaurant located across the street from the convention center. this cafe style restaurant offers good cajun cuisine moderately priced. if you are working at the convention center mulates has a nice bar for an after work drink.

mulates

• gaolei's Profile Photo

Mulates: Good Cajan near the convention center

by gaolei Written Dec 18, 2007

This restaurant is across the street from the Convention center, It claims to be on of the oldest remaining hotels in New Orleans.

The meals consist of good local New Orleans specialties and great Po Boy sandwiches. Inside, it is very authentically plain. There is a stage at on end and I suspect they have live local music at night. Overall, a great place for sampling the local foods in a unique restaurant.

Favorite Dish: The Gumbo and oyster Po Boys are great!

• gover's Profile Photo

Mulates: Live Music with your Cajun Food

by gover Written Oct 30, 2008

We enjoyed the atmosphere with live music and some people even get up to dance. A fun place to go with a group.

Favorite Dish: I had the crawfish etouffee and a couple of really good margaritas!

photo from Mulate's website