Muriel's, New Orleans

by VeronicaG
  • doug48's Profile Photo

muriel's: elegant decor

by doug48 Updated Jun 1, 2009

muriel's is a very good contemporary creole restaurant located in the french quarter. muriel's has a refined 19 th century decor and is a relaxing place to have lunch or dinner. in my opinion one of the better restaurants in the french quarter.

muriel's

• lcostello's Profile Photo

Muriel's: Tastefully Festive

by lcostello Written May 4, 2009

This is my favorite place for a lively dining experience. I have been here about 5 times. The food is not an upscale culinary wow, but rather a delicious meal. The decor is in parlor dining room motif with high ceilings and elaborate art work. What brings me back is the atmosphere, which is festive. Everything tastes great when you enjoy the setting. Upstairs is a red, ornate seance room and a beautiful ballroom. Go there when it is slow and ask to go upstairs.

Favorite Dish: The creme brulee is yum- crispy top and smooth, creamy, vanilla below!

• Muriel's: Go somewhere else for a good steak

by nolaparrothead Written May 3, 2009

Worst $30 steak I have ever had. Probably my fault, the ribeye was smothered with some kind of dark gravy/mushroom sauce. I should have noticed it on the menu. This slop totally overwhelmed the steak. I believe a good steak should stand on its own, not require nasty brown gravy. Makes me wonder if they might be trying to hide a lesser quality cut of meat. It seemed very fatty, even for a ribeye. My wife, on the other hand, ordered the barbequed shrimp on the fixed price menu. She pronounced it acceptable. We both agreed, with so many choices avaiable in the French Quarter, we will not be returning here. Considering this is not an inexpensive restaurant, we were disappointed.

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo

Muriels: Old Elegance at Jackson Square

by VeronicaG Updated Dec 4, 2008

Muriel's Jackson Square location was fortuitious for us, because we most likely would not have noticed it otherwise. I was fascinated by its history!

The building was originally constructed in the early 1700's by Claude Trepagnier. Through the years well-heeled individuals purchased and improved the property:

Jean Baptiste Destrehen,Royal Treasurer of French Louisiana Colonies, lavished the home with luxurious touches from Paris

Pierre Phillipe de Marigny used it as one of his 'city homes'

Julien Poydras, President of the Louisiana State Senate and Director of the Louisiana Bank, contributed his own style of elegance to the residence.

The prominence of these men is reflected in the use of their names for New Orleans streets.

After this, it's use as a residential building ended. In the late 1800's Peter Lipari converted the building into several businesses. A grocery story followed, then two different restaurants and a jazz hall in later years. Muriel's opened its doors in 2001.

All this to illustrate the fine details and embellishments which obviously had been added to the building when it was shined up and polished during the time it was someone's beloved home. Now it exudes a graceful ambience (pics 2 & 3), making it a pleasant place in which to dine.

Favorite Dish: As we soaked up Muriel's atmosphere, I ordered a wood-grilled petit filet and shrimp with mashed potatoes, green beans and bearnaise sauce ($18.75), which was absolutely wonderful!

Jim chose chicken fusilli--wood grilled chicken breast with sundried tomato, artichoke and balsamic creamed fusilli pasta ($13.00), which he deemed very good.

Creole cuisine and other tasty offerings served here.

Muriel's Dining Room Enclosed Courtyard

• hackenbush's Profile Photo

Muriel's: Jackson Square area

by hackenbush Written Jun 18, 2007

Walked by for years and never bothered to go in. Mistake. It's a great lunch spot and we've drifted over for dinner a few times and never been dissappointed.

Favorite Dish: Chicken Tcouphopulas (I'm not even going to try to spell that!!!)

• ErinInMD's Profile Photo

Muriel's: Desserts to die for!

by ErinInMD Written Apr 14, 2006

I cannot believe I had never eaten here before. The location is great and the service was amazing. We had two waiters who made sure our experience at Muriel's was excellent.

There is seating upstairs and seats on the balcony. We sat inside and enjoyed the nice decor. There is also a Seance bar that we did not try out.

You get bread with your meal that comes out in a cone-type napkin that is placed in one of their special made iron bread holders with a convenient little spot for the butter. They have an option to get a meal that comes with an appetizer (soup/salad), the entree and your choice of dessert. You can also get items a'la carte, which is what we did.

I'll talk about my meal below, but my boyfriend got a pork chop (that was HUGE) that came with greens and mashed potatoes. I tried all but the pork (I don't eat pork) and it was all yummy. He chose the bread pudding for dessert and I could have easily eaten my weight in that bread pudding. It was THAT good.

Favorite Dish: I chose the blackened salmon that came with a lemony-herb rice (I believe they called it a popcorn rice). The salmon had a couple mandarin oranges on top and the whole dish had a mix of flavors (spicy, sweet, etc.) that just melded together perfectly.

For dessert I had vanilla creme brulee - my most favorite dessert with some coffee. The coffee was nice and strong and the creme brulee was perfect.

Let's just say everything was perfect at Muriel's. Just to help figure out the pricing and such, if you get just an entree it'll run you closer to $20. Throw in dessert and you're more in the $21-$30 range. Drinks will obviously bump you up even higher.

The front of Muriel's

Instant Answers: New Orleans

Comments

Hotels Near Muriel's
4.0 out of 5 stars