Port of Call, New Orleans

by Rixie
  • Rixie's Profile Photo

Port of Call: Outrageously Good Hamburgers

by Rixie Updated Sep 13, 2014

Port of Call looks like a dark little dive bar, but I had heard that it serves the best hamburgers in New Orleans. After eating lunch there, I would add, "...and possibly in the whole country." Omigawd, that burger was good!

Normally, I can finish only about half a burger, but at Port of Call I ordered a half-pounder and INHALED that sucker. Even now, sitting here at my computer in California, I can remember how good it was, and I long for another one. It was thick, moist, and delicious.

There's always a line there, so you have to be on Southern time. Get yourself an Abita beer or a drink in a go-cup and hang around outside, and the wait won't seem as long.

There's always something going on at Port of Call. Read my Port of Call stories here.

Line at Port of Call Here, hold my Abita

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Port of Call - Esplinade Ave, French Quarter

by Ewingjr98 Written Mar 24, 2012

Port of Call is famous for its burgers, steaks, and monsoon drinks. I was amazed to find a 45 minute wait or longer in the restaurant that was old and really kind of trashy. We all had burgers, which range in price from $10 to $13 depending on the toppings. The burgers are big, with a half pound of ground beef and are served with lettuce, tomatoes, onion and pickles on side. The standard side is a baked potato, with free chives and bacon bits if you ask for it (sour cream, cheese, mushrooms are $1.25 extra each!).

The food was good, but the options for side dishes is so limited as to be a major negative. Why not offer a cup of red beans and rice on the side instead of the potato? How about a cup of gumbo? This is New Orleans after all.

Despite my somewhat negative opinion, this restaurant is highly rated and very, very popular. And they don't take reservations.

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

Port of Call: Gotta love the burgers!

by TravellerMel Written Jul 27, 2008

Port of Call Bar and Restaurant has long been a favorite of the locals. It is small, and you will likely have to wait for a table. If you do, order a Monsoon (the house specialty) to cool you off while you wait. The menu is very limited - basically, steaks and burgers. The burgers range from $9-12 (depends - would you like cheese, or mushrooms, or cheese AND mushrooms?), and comes with a baked potato. This 1/2 lb burger will satisfy your appetite and leave you refreshed for more shopping/playing in the Quarter!

The setting is casual and friendly - wood chairs and tables, with seafaring decor (nets on the ceilings, a USS Indianapolis lifering on the wall, etc.). No smoking.

Favorite Dish: I usually get the mushroom burger, then get the cheese and bacon bits on my potato - scrumptious! Monsoon comes in a souvenir plastic cup - gotta love that!! :-)

• LolaWright's Profile Photo

Port of Call: Best Hamburger EVER!!!

by LolaWright Written Jul 17, 2006

If you want the best hamburger in the United States , you have to go to Port of Call. I have a picture of a full plate of food in my cubicle because it brings up such great memories.
    It is a great escape around 3:00 pm on a Sunday afternoon, after drinking all night in the quarter, duck in from the heat and humidity and get a bloody mary. Play the juke box if you can get to it and enjoy!
    Simply the best New Orleans has to offer!
    I lived there 5 years and every out of town guest got taken to P.O.C and loved it.

Favorite Dish: Burger, medium well, loaded baked with no chives and mushrooms on both.
    I promise you won't be disappointed.

Instant Answers: New Orleans

Comments

Hotels Near Port of Call
4.5 out of 5 stars