Red Fish Grill, New Orleans

3.5 out of 5 stars 5 Reviews

115 Bourbon St, New Orleans, LA 70130 +1 504-598-1200

• Red Fish Grill
    by yankeepeddler
    The cool light above our table...
    by lifelovebeauty
    Ralph Brennan's Red Fish Grill
    by lifelovebeauty
  • atufft's Profile Photo

Red Fish Grill: Brennan's Hospitality doesn't disappoint

by atufft Written Jan 8, 2006

The Red Fish Grill is an institution and one of several Brennan family restaurants. The noisy cosmopolitan brick and concrete atmosphere is obviously backed by deep pockets, and the waiters are carefully selected and trained. Tommy was my waiter, and he can be reached at tommy0819@yahoo.com if you want additional information about the restaurant. Needless to say, his service was excellent. A small loaf of sour dough bread in a paper bag was brought with the water, so I became nervous that we might face an attempt to mimic my home state style of California. If they were, it was a mistake because the bread wasn't up to the standards of sour dough back home. I ordered glass of Estancia Pinot Noir, as I recall, and Tommy's appearance improved our outlook for the meal as a whole. My wife nursed a cranberry nectar soda. We shared an order of crab cakes, and I ate 6 raw oysters on the half shell. Both of these appetizers were excellent (although I found Jacque-Imo's carb cheese cake eaten the next night more exceptionally crafted. See tip on this restaurant). For dessert, I drank a cup of coffee with the tradition NO chicory, and my wife and I shared a chocolate bread pudding. The bread pudding is typical of the market style approach that the Brennan's restaurants take to their cuisine. While generally excellent, it was perhaps more sweet than chocolaty, the type of chocolate confection that most tourists visiting the quarter would prefer. Thus, if Red Fish Grill has any weakenesses, it's the tendency to market style menu development, a tendency to please the average customer at the expense of the more descriminating food fiend such as myself. As a person raised near the Napa Valley wine region and familiar to the best of San Francisco, I can say that New Orleans indeed challenged my sense of culinary appreciation, and I would not hesitate to dine at Red Fish again.

Favorite Dish: The Red Fish Grill has a decent wine list, although the choice for by-the-glass customers is too small in my opinion. However, I found as a trend in all the New Orleans restaurants tried, some choice/quality limitation at the middle price bracket and by the glass. In other words, the top end bottles were good and there were not really bad wines on the lists, but the middle was rather predictable and unexciting for the California palate. I was lucky that Estancia Pinot Noir was served by the glass at Red Fish though. For the main plate, I ordered a blackened BBQ red fish, which was prepared the way it should be. The fish was dredged only lightly in the spice mixture so that the blackened exterior didn't become a crusty charcoal, like I've seen it done many times in trendy west coast restaurants. The inner meat of the fish was cooked but was moist and melted in the mouth. My wife had the grilled shrimp, which were prepared according to her preference for mild spices. I can't recall whether I had a green salad or gumbo, but I know that both are good at this restaurant. The total for two was a reasonable $105-, including wine and taxes, but not including tip. Given that we had appetisers, wine, and dessert, in addition to two of the top entres, I think we fared pretty well. So, it's possible to eat at Red Fish for less. Overall this was a near great experience, a great experience on the virtualtourist.com scale.

Red Fish Grill

• yankeepeddler's Profile Photo

Red Fish Grill: Red Fish Grill - No Mr. B's

by yankeepeddler Updated Nov 26, 2010

The Red Fish Grill is conveniently located at the intersection of Bourbon St and Canal. We were attracted to Red Fish when we learned it was part of the Brennan family of restaurants. We had a great meal at Mr. B' the nigh before and decided to give it a try. My wife ordered the pork dish and I had the chicken. After we both took one bite, she asked the obvious question - "How's your's?" You go first I said. "Mine is kind of bland." My thoughts exactly.

The meal was very disappointing. The chicken was slightly over cooked - not too bad, but mostly bland. It tasted like, well, roast chicken ... the kind I make. Not what I expected. While I would like to return to New Orleans, I would not return to the Red Fish Grill.

In all fairness, I should note that the manager on duty went around to every single table and asked how the meal was, so its not like I didn't have a chance to speak up. Neither my wife nor I felt comfortable saying the meal wasn't very good. I know, I know .... whose fault is that?

Favorite Dish: Sorry to say, no favorite dish.

• gaolei's Profile Photo

Red Fish Grill: As good as they claim they are.

by gaolei Written Dec 18, 2007

Ambience is just ok, but food is great. The redfish is the specialty. If you like fish, you will love redfish, especially topped with crabmeat the way they serve it.

The lines form early, so if you want to get in, stop by early and make a reservation. You won't be sorry.

Favorite Dish: Redfish, redfish, redfish!

• Red Fish Grill: Go if you like bland food

by adriapo1 Written Jun 1, 2012

My husband and I dined at Red Fish Grill two years back and we both thought the dishes we got were bland. Not worth the money at all. I remember one of us got the chicken dish which was tasteless and I think we also got a seafood entree. Nothing memorable and I'm not very picky.

• lifelovebeauty's Profile Photo

Red Fish Grill: Mardi Gras Fun at Ralph Brennan's Red Fish Grill

by lifelovebeauty Updated Aug 11, 2009

Tantalizing seafood and a fun, festive atmosphere are just the beginning at Ralph Brennan’s Red Fish Grill in New Orleans, LA. Whether you find yourself in the French Quarter of the Big Easy during the Mardi Gras festivities or any other time during the year, the Red Fish Grill is a must-see restaurant no matter how you spin it.

Bright, bold colors bedeck the walls of this casual seafood eatery and eclectic décor featuring fish and sea life themed works of art hang along the walls above the bar and all around the restaurant. Choices of seating accommodate a cozy table for two to a large group of friends vacationing together and everyone in between.

Tasty libations on the beverage menu get your meal started off on a fun and social note, with such great concoctions as specialty lemonades, Mojitos, and more. The bar begins serving at 11 a.m., just in time for the perfect lunch at a casual seafood restaurant on Bourbon Street in the French Quarter of New Orleans. With lunch entrees at just $7 - $12, you can really enjoy your experience to the fullest, also sampling the savory soups, salads, and appetizers on the menu. (Dinner entrees at Ralph Brennan’s Red Fish Grill range from $13 to $22, a great price for delicious New Orleans seafood!)

Read the entire review here: Restaurant Review: Mardi Gras Fun at Ralph Brennan’s Red Fish Grill, New Orleans, Louisiana.

Favorite Dish: Our two favorite dishes at Red Fish Grill were the Shrimp Po Boy and Pasta Jambalaya. The shrimp po boy featured a crusty bread and deep-fried shrimp while the pastalaya had my husband's favorite bow-tie pasta. I also thoroughly enjoyed the crab soup that was available during Mardi Gras - with sizable hunks of crab meat. I would have eaten at this restaurant more than once during our trip if we had more days to visit.

Ralph Brennan's Red Fish Grill Guests enjoy a meal at Red Fish Grill. The bar at the Red Fish Grill The cool light above our table... Red Fish Grill on Bourbon St.

Instant Answers: New Orleans

Comments

Hotels Near Red Fish Grill
4.5 out of 5 stars