Ghost - Haunted - Cemetery Tour, New Orleans

Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop
    by PinkFloydActuary
    Scene of pure evil, leading to hauntings
    by PinkFloydActuary
    Any vampires in the windows?
  • Rixie's Profile Photo

Ghostly Walk

by Rixie Updated Jun 30, 2010

The AJ Hotel - not so scary in daylight

If getting drunk on Bourbon Street isn’t your idea of a fun evening, take a New Orleans ghost tour with French Quarter Phantoms. It’s an interesting and educational way to see the French Quarter. I wasn’t enthusiastic when my family wanted to take a ghost tour, because I have an overactive imagination and can manage to freak myself out quite nicely without any help. But our tour guide, Jessica, was perfect. Her goal was not to scare us but to inform us. She was more like a historical lecturer and had a laidback sense of humor that I enjoyed -- the kind of person I wouldn’t mind talking to at a party.

A story from the tour:

The present-day Andrew Jackson Hotel was a boys' boarding school in the 1800s, but when a yellow fever epidemic swept the city, all of the students died. The hotel today is said to be haunted by their ghosts. The ghostly happenings are very mischievous, the sort of thing you’d expect from little boys, but it would still scare the bejesus out of me! Guests have reported hearing children laughing and running up and down the halls at night, faucets turn on by themselves, female guests have been awakened by someone tickling their feet. A few of the latter have said they saw a little boy giggling at the foot of their bed. It made me wonder how the ghost tour affects the occupancy rate of the hotel.

This is a walking tour, so wear comfortable shoes. Tours last about an hour and a half. Phone for the times -- these have changed, post-Katrina. $20 per person, children's rates. Reservations are necessary, as the size of tour groups is limited. Tips are gratefully accepted by your guide at the end of the tour.

• Jefie's Profile Photo

French Quarter Phantoms

by Jefie Updated Jul 22, 2011

A creepy shadow on the cathedral!

In a city where cemeteries count as some of the most popular attractions, it only makes sense that ghost tours would be popular too! There are several companies offering guided haunted walks through the French Quarter and after reading some reviews, we decided to go with the French Quarter Phantoms. It's the only ghost tour we went on so I can't compare it with the others, but we had a fantastic time on the tour! Our guide was one of the most entertaining I've ever had - she really knew how to tell a story and she made us laugh all night long! The stories were well researched and included a lot of historical information about New Orleans, which is exactly what I like in a ghost tour. Among other things, we heard about the history and ghosts of the Cornstalk Hotel and Andrew Jackson Hotel, and made the obligatory stop in front of the LaLaurie Mansion, which is often described as the city's most haunted location. And to make things even spookier, I and another lady on the tour might have seen a ghost walk by as we were getting ready to cross the street. It was one of the weirdest sensations ever!

The French Quarter Phantoms ghost tour runs every evening at 6:00 pm and 8:00 pm. Tours start at Flanagan's Pub and tickets cost $20, and you get a 2 for 1 special on Hurricanes at the pub. As our guide said, the more people drink, the funnier she gets!

• pamstravels's Profile Photo

The Living & The Dead Tour

by pamstravels Written May 17, 2005

Garden District Tour Guide

The walking tour of the Garden District and the Lafayette Cemetery was one of the highlights of my trip to New Orleans. We chose this tour because our hotel, the Frenchmen Hotel, recommended it. Incredible! We took the St. Charles streetcar and got off at Washington, walked two blocks to Prytania. The tour organizes at The Garden District Book Shop inside The Rink, a building that was actually a skating rink when it was built 100 years ago. Now it is a small shopping center.

The cost of the tour was well worth the $15 per person. Wear comfortable walking shoes and bring a bottle of water. This incredibly informative walking tour lasts about 2 hours.
    We knew it was popular when, on a weekday, the tour group had to be split between two guides.

Because I am a huge Anne Rice fan, I especially enjoyed seeing the tombs used by Lestat in her books and then on the Garden District segment walking by her house. (Unfortunately sold a couple months ago after her husband died)

The guide talked about arcitecture, history, plant life and told funny stories as we all followed behind her.

• tafurojo's Profile Photo

St Louis Cemetery

by tafurojo Written Dec 28, 2003

St Louis 1

The St Louis cemetery 1 and 2 are a must see. #1 holds the tomb of Mary Laveau the famous voodoo queen of New Orleans. Take a voodoo tour to get more info on here and if you want to learn more about the cemetery as well there are many tours to choose from. Just pick the one that most appeals to you.

• Museum Visits

• Human Remains Roux

by kidcharlamagne Written Sep 27, 2004

Final Resting Place of over 4000

Took the cemetary (St Louis #1) tour with New Orleans Walking Tours. Started off with some background on the city and early burial practices. Then, it was on to the cemetary. Our guide, John, offered an energetic view of the final resting place of the city's famous and infamous. He gave a very detailed description of the process for entombment, which did nothing but add to the creepiness factor. After the explanation, I was paranoid that I was going to see something sticking out of one of vaults that I wish I hadn't. He gave a great presentation at Marie Laveau's site. Speculation or not, I don't care, it was still fun. Then, on to the elaborate monuments and tombs of the city's mayors and paupers. There are over 4000 remains stored in the large Catholic paupers vault! The tour wrapped up with a visit to Priestess Miriam's establishment on Rampart Street. There, you go in and sit on the floor and witness the spectacle that is Priestess Miriam. She discussed afterbirth, afterlife, holistic/hostile healthcare, the womb as the Chamber of Commerce, clowning around, and Wow. Sorry, these subjects are not tied into a neat package; you leave with a sense of huh? Still though, I was petrified that I was going to laugh and then have some sort of bad gris gris placed upon me. So, I nodded along with her like I was totally into what she was saying, you should do the same.

• moirholj's Profile Photo

Cities of the Dead

by moirholj Updated Mar 15, 2004

St. Louis No. 1, New Orleans

I know that some people might consider guided tour of the New Orleans cemetaries a tourist trap, but its one of those things that i think you just have to do. I personally love to look at old cemetaries, so I wasn't going to miss this one.

The cemetaries right by the French Quarter (like St. Louis #1) I would recommend you don't go in there alone. These above ground graves are the perfect place for someone to hide and mug you. Please be safe and go with a tour group. I saw the cemetaries around the French Quarter in a Cemetary/VooDoo tour which not only covered the graveyard, but Louis Armstrong park and Priestess Miriam's Spiritual Temple as well.

There was a cemetary in the Garden District that I did go through alone because there were many other tourists in there, including another tour group, and the Garden district is a much safer area on the whole.

These cities of the Dead are just so interesting. It's amazing the amount of time put into the craftsmanship of the mosouliums and grave markers. Enjoy a leisurly stroll through here and take some creative pictures.

Oh, and there are cats everywhere in the graveyards. I don't want to know who they're hanging out with!

Please see my New Orleans Travelogue titled "Cities of the Dead - New Orleans" for some pictures I took in the cemetaries in 2001.

• Ghost - Cemetery Tours

by touristcat6 Written Mar 19, 2008

I love creepy stuff that's true - fact not fiction. New Orleans is one of my favorite places to visit. For that reason - on my many visits I have done just about everyone's ghost and cemetery tours. As the other lady said the one that starts from Flanagan's Pub - 625 St. Philip Street - French Quarter Phantoms - is the one to do. The tour guides are real historians with degrees in Theology and History! The are also great storytellers - its easy to follow their stories, you can ask them questions and they really have a historically accurate sensible answer to give you. They are not "theater rejects" and are not dressed like haunted house characters - they are very upscale - dressing in Black suits / red ties - or all black dress clothing. Sort of Goth meets the Society page. This is the one for the discriminating traveler. You get a great chill up your spine from their excellent delivery but nobody jumps out and pinches you and nobody insults your intelligence by telling you things you know never happened. I ask the lady in the box office if she believed in ghosts - her reply "of course, even the Bible talks about spirits, do I believe in Vampires? No that is fictional, therefore our vampire tales are of vampiric style crimes, " That is the best answer I've ever heard anyone give. Their tour starts at 8 pm every night. I do recommend reservations, they limit their group size and will even put out an extra group if they feel the customer personalities warrant it. Such as if there are several families with young teens or small kids they will put all of them with one guide and put all of the adult only guests with another guide - that way everyone gets a tour with accurate historical information but the adult group gets more gorey detail than the group with youngsters. My tour guides were Mike on the first night and Randy on the second. Both gentlemen were right on the money, and both had unique tours . I toured with them twice this trip and one night they had 2 groups with about 15 people per group, Mike took the families and Randy the adults and the other night they had one group with about 20 - high school students and another group with about 25, mixed aged adults. The other companies I toured with on my last New Orleans trip put like 35- 40 people with one guide and I really had a lot of trouble hearing and seeing everything - not to mention that some of the stories were not appropriate for the type of people in the group. These folks tell me they never put more than 28 people per group - but most of the time try to keep it at 15 people per guide for better entertainment value. I agree.

• Business Travel
    • Study Abroad

• anderschwan's Profile Photo

Ghost Tour - Sure It's Cheesy

by anderschwan Written Sep 19, 2003

Ghost Tour?

Maybe this should be under "Tourist Trap" but here goes. We took one of those "Haunted Tours" early in the evening. I relunctantly went along but it ended up a pretty good tour. I learned that what we see as the "French Quarter" is really Spanish in architecture. And we heard some creepy stories. If you have the time and some extra dough, then maybe you should try one of these tours. It's cheesy - but still worth doing.

• cromette's Profile Photo

Vampire Tour with Haunted History Tours

by cromette Updated Mar 13, 2007

After a trip back to the room to rest our aching feet, we headed out into the night, to St. Louis Cathedral to join Jonathan with Haunted History Tours for a Vampire Tour of the French Quarter.

My husband and I have been on many of these tours, and all of the Haunted History Tours in New Orleans. We have done Haunted History’s Vampire Tour probably 4 times now, and their ghost tour at least twice.

Jonathan put on the best tour we have experienced to date. He was great at handling the crowd, very intelligent, very well-versed and poised, and appeared to have really done his homework. Like all good Vampire Tour guides, he looked the part as well, leaving our kids wondering out loud, “Could Jonathan be a vampire?” The tour was sufficiently creepy to leave the girls talking about it for days, but not scary enough to give them nightmares!

Very good time.

Be sure to grab a discount coupon from your hotel, or print one off of Haunted History Tours website.

• Tom_Fields's Profile Photo

Ghost Tour

by Tom_Fields Updated Dec 19, 2006

The guide begins the tour

You don't need to believe in ghosts or the supernatural to enjoy this tour. It's a fascinating source of local history and folklore--often the things that don't get into the history books. Here sordid tales of murder, intrigue, tragedy, and dark family secrets revealed. Here is the real Gothic side of the old French Quarter.

These tours usually include some details of local architecture, and those little oddities that somehow get left out of other tours. For example, Romeo spikes. Most buildings here have balconies, an innovation added by the Spanish. On some of their support pillars are sharp spikes. They were meant to discourage any would-be "Romeo" from climbing up to the second floor, where the girls slept.

I've NEVER experienced a haunting, or other supernatural event. But a good ghost tour is just too much fun to pass up.

• Hiking and Walking

• lxine's Profile Photo

Take a Walking Tour

by lxine Written Apr 21, 2003

Typical French Quarter building

You'll find many pamphlets advertising walking tours around the French Quarter. For about $15, a guide will take you to landmarks and explain the area's history. The tours I took were fascinating, and unfold better than stumbling around on your own. These tours are also great to visit neighbourhoods you might otherwise avoid alone. For example, the rough neighbourhood Tremé is pivotal in black New Orleans history.

I was warned that some "haunted" tours are gimmicky money wasters. However, I took both a "historic" and a "spooky" tour, and found the latter to be more educational! So shop around!

• Architecture

• Great City for Ghost Tours!

by frankkearns Written Apr 6, 2010

New Orleans is one of my favourite cities in the world. What could be better than enjoying a Po'Boy or a bowl of gumbo as the notes from the calliope on the steamboat Natchez waft across the French Quarter from the Mississippi? I could happily retire to this city, despite the problems it has. It has an atmosphere of being not quite of this world, and existing strangely outside of time. This surely has something to do with the fact that the place is so haunted! New Orleans has a wide variety of ghost tours on offer, as well as vampire tours, voodoo tours and cemetary excursions. I can highly recommend Haunted History Tours for their ghost and vampire tours. The guides I had were Brent and Jonathan respectively. Both knew their subjects very well, and were extremely informative as well as entertaining. Both tours stopped off at Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop - the oldest bar in New Orleans, which was fun. The place is haunted and my camera acted up so much I couldn't get a proper picture there! I also did their Garden District Ghost Tour, which was a laid-back afternoon stroll, and took the subject very seriously, which I like. I also did a Cemetary Tour with Gray Line Tours. We went to St. Louis No. 1, which was fascinating, even though the guide seemed unhappy to be there! No trip to New Orleans is complete without a visit to a cemetary, and it was a great experience. The grave of Marie Laveau certainly has something about it. I felt very drained after being near it. All in all, if you haven't been to New Orleans, GO! And make sure to go on some ghost tours while you're there!

• Architecture

• Ghost tour above ground cemetary

by leftwich Written Jul 23, 2008

It is interesting to tour the unique above ground cemeteries in and around New Orleans. There is a lot of history. They have many guided tours to tell you the ghost tales surrounding some of the well know haunted cemeteries. To save some cash, you can tour them yourself and have just as much fun, but don't go alone. Bring, at least, one companion and have fun!

Check out the new ghost story book by local author
    If One Only Looks: 85 Years of Ghost Stories
    ISBN: 1-60672-060-0

• Singles

• eeller1976's Profile Photo

Walking Ghost Tour

by eeller1976 Written May 21, 2008

One of the most fun things I did while in N.O. was the narrarated walking ghost tour through the French Quarter (at night!) Lots of fun & the guide was very animated in his storytelling which made the tour all the more fun & haunting.
    There are several guide places in the French Quarter but the one I used was N.O. Ghost Tour leaving from Flanagan's Pub on St. Philip St. Cost was $18.00 p/p.

• Haunted History Tour - Ernie

by erincoleman Updated Jul 13, 2006

If you are going to chose to do a Haunted Ghost tour I highly suggest Haunted History. We only did the ghost tour but when we go back we are definitely taking more tours with this company...especially if we can take them with Ernie! He was an amazing tour guide! Very, very entertaining without being cheesy. He had his own personal story that made the tour better. I don't know if he offers other tours as well but I highly suggest taking the ghost tour with him. We even walked by the next night to say hi to him again. He's awesome!!

Instant Answers: New Orleans