Swamp Tours, New Orleans

Several Swamp Tour Companies to choose from.

alligator
    by mindcrime
  • Swamp Tours
    by Paul2001
    A close up of an alligator
    by Paul2001
  • A truly unique tour experience

by jhford Written Oct 29, 2014

My wife and I are originally from New Orleans but moved to New York many years ago. On a recent visit a friend recommended we do a swamp tour. As a New Orleans native my wife and I were reluctant but our friend showed us the tour details and we were intrigued. The company is called Canoe and Trail and they have been guiding canoeing trips through the swamps of Louisiana for years. The owner admitted they do not have a strong online presence but I think it makes them a hidden gem. The guide, Tom, was extremely knowledgeable and friendly. The entire tour was only 6 people which made the experience even better. On our next visit to New Orleans we will definitely tour with them again. If you want to see a natural swamp tour with Canoe and Trail.

• Paul2001's Profile Photo

Swamp Tours-The Thing to do if you have Time

by Paul2001 Updated Jun 18, 2014

It seems that everybody who visits New Orleans will take a swamp tour providing that they have the time. I did so I did too. I arranged my tour through my hotel so I cannot recall the name of the actual service that I took. The tour is conducted in swamps north of New Orleans not too far from the Mississippi state border.
    I cannot understate how popular these tours are as the tour service that offer it was very busy. There were dozens of tourists a the lodge where the boats. The boat seated about 25 people and was full. The tour guide was quite amusing and offered some very humorous tales about the swamp and some interesting information about wildlife in the swamp and people life too.
    The tour itself lasted about 2 hours. We saw four alligators including the one pictured here. It was the largest of bunch and was about eight to nine feet long. I was kind of curious about what the tour guide was using to lure these beast to the boat. He was using marshmallows which are not suppose to harm the local environment. We also saw several birds such as cranes and heron. Overall I enjoyed the experience but the cost might be steep for some as I had to cough up $63 for the tour.

A close up of an alligator

• NeutralGround53's Profile Photo

Fall & Winter Swamp Tours

by NeutralGround53 Written May 5, 2012

Better to take this type of tour in the cooler months if possible. I grew up prowling the swamps around New Orleans, and the heat- humidity makes it feel like it is 110deg. in the shade. (heat index) Kind of like being broiled or boiled alive. The swamp tours are great, but I would not go in the summer if I had an option.

• Seniors
    • Wine Tasting
    • Luxury Travel

• Nola's Profile Photo

The Mysterious New Orleans Swamp

by Nola Updated Apr 4, 2011

New Orleans is surrounded by water ways and swamps. A swamp tour is a must do thing, there are many and Bluecat Canoe has a page here on VT about swamp tours. There are many animals and sights to see close up and for real, not a phoney Disney ride.

Swamp Sun Set

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

Cajun Pride swamp tour

by mindcrime Written Dec 24, 2010

There are many tours in New Orleans but a swamp tour is probably the most interesting.
    There are many companies to choose from but we preferred Cajun Pride that was suggested by other travelers. The minivan of the company came to our hotel and we traveled there in about 30’,

We boarded at a weird boat (pic 2) and the tour lasted for 2 hours. It was really fun to be there, the driver/guide was very informative along the way and he answered every question we had about the swamps and the wildlife there. The route was scenic (pic 3) in many parts and we was many different birds and small animals but the highlight was the alligators of course.

I was surprised of how many of them we saw along the way (in some tours you just see 2-3 while we saw more than 20!) and what’s more we had the chance to feed them, take pictures of them and even to hold one on our hands!! It was a baby one of course! :) It seems the alligators are used of the company’s boats, they were coming directly to us all the time.

We stopped several times at specific spots where the guide got outside and feed with chickens many of the alligators and left one to walk into the boat!! Of course, by feeding them non stop the alligators weren’t really interesting about us!

You can book online or through your hotels or a tourist kiosk everywhere in French Quarter. You can drive there if you have a car or they pick you up from your hotel.

The tour costs $44(with transportation) or $22 without. Combo tour including a plantation costs $85(with transportation)

alligator our boat for swamp tour swamp tour when you are hungry you can jump higher! more alligators

• Another VERY satisfied Honey Island Swamp Tour

by NORTEXED Updated Aug 23, 2010

We lucked into touring with Captain Charlie with Honey Island and had a blast. Boat was not crowded, Charlie was great, super nice and informative without being teachy. It was enjoyable enough to keep my 16 and 18 year old sons entertained for 2 hours (miracles never cease). Will definately go back ASAP. Would love to do the tour in the late fall.

• Photography

• sabogg01's Profile Photo

Honey Island Swamp Tours

by sabogg01 Written Sep 28, 2009

It was a little chilly out on the swamp in mid Feb, especially when the boat went fast! It was so cold I was not expecting to see anything. We did end up seeing I think 8 gators, a couple of them were quite large, and a lot of birds, etc. I loved seeing the houses all along the swamp. This was a wonderful experience in Slidell, located right outside of New Orleans.
    We made reservations ahead and I would think it is probably a good idea to do so. As it was a cool February day and our boat was nearly full. It cost around $25 per person. The money was well spent. A+++

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Jean Lafitte - starting Point for the Swamp Tour

by grandmaR Updated Jul 27, 2009

The forecast (accurate) said that it was going to be really cold on the next day, and this day was already chilly. I wanted to do the swamp part of the tour first when I thought it would be warmer, but that wasn't the way it was set up.

After we finished the plantation part of the tour and ate lunch, the tour bus driver drove us a long way to Jean Lafitte which is on the edge of the Jean Lafitte reserve.

We had a choice of a pontoon boat or an airboat. It was already a bit cool, and I knew that it would be colder in the airboat. Plus, I thought we could do the airboat in the Everglades (which was wrong) so we went out in a pontoon boat.

While it was cold, it wasn't so cold that there was no wildlife. We saw nutria (photo 4- a nasty invasive species) and several alligators, and birds (photo 5). Keep in mind that reptiles (alligators and turtles - photo 3) will hibernate if it is cold. The larger alligators were already 'winterized' and invisible to us. The tours will go regardless of how much wildlife there is to see.

The guide (photo 2) also showed us how catfish are caught (It is unattended bait on a line with an old milk bottle as a float), and he had a baby alligator in a bucket on the boat to show us, probably in case of none being available in the wild.

We got back to the hotel about 5

3 medium Alligator's sunning on a log Tour guide Turtle on a log Nutria Great egret

• HasTowelWillTravel's Profile Photo

Honey Island Swamp Tour

by HasTowelWillTravel Written May 9, 2009

There are a lot of swamp tours in the Louisiana bayou/delta area. It is a popular side excursion, a chance to see the older parts of the area, as well as a taste of the ecosystem. It is a wondrous place. You see old fishing and hunting shacks, plus the abundant, verdant display which is the bayou. It is a sheer mass of vegetation, filled with wildlife and interesting secrets. Get luck you might spy feral pigs, deer, snakes, perhaps even an alligator.

Honey Island is one such tour group that operates about 30 minutes outside of the city proper. Easy to get to, and they also offer a shuttle service for those without a car in the city. The tour guides are informative about the countryside and all its inhabitants. It was a great afternoon out, reasonably priced ($25 for adult), and highly recommended.

• Tom_In_Madison's Profile Photo

Swamp tour with Cajun Pride Tours

by Tom_In_Madison Written Jun 25, 2008

There at least a half dozen companies offering these ‘Swamp Tours’. This one takes you to some land about 20 minutes outside New Orleans, about 550 acres of land that they own. The gators are used to them coming thru, and are fed by them every time—so you are pretty much assured of seeing them. The biggest one is about 10 feet long. The guide fed them raw chicken, and allowed any passenger the opportunity to feed them too, by using a 4-foot pole. He picked one of the 3 foot gators and kissed the snout of him. You also saw a blue heron, and a white one.

The guide was very informative and seemed to love his job. He also had a baby gator on board, and a snapping turtle. Snapping turtles and gators have the 2 strongest bites in the world, 1200pounds per square inch, and 800 psi, compared to great white sharks at 600 psi, crocodiles are up there too somewhere. We were out there maybe 90 minutes, and that was long enough.

Like other ones, they will pick you up and drop you off at your hotel. I think it’s about $45 for it, and it takes a good 4 hours all included.

• malianrob's Profile Photo

Swamp and Bayou Tours

by malianrob Written Feb 16, 2008

We thought it would be interesting to see some alligators and visit the swamps and Bayous. We got alot of mixed reaction in regards to this so we decided to check it out for ourselves. We crossed over the Mississippi about 20 minutes from New Orleans and found Westwego swamp tours.
    It was alittle chilly and they thought that maybe we might not see any critters but we saw quite a few Alligators, Nutria, raccoons, and turtles. Our guide Captain Tom was great, very knowledgable, and had a great eye for spotting an anial from far away.
    The whole tour was very interesting. We first sat around in a small animal sanctuary. We learned about what animals we might see and how important they are to the environment. We also learned bout how some animals we introduced to the area and are destroying the plant life. It is not just fun but also educational and by checking out this tours was also very appreciated by the locals. They talked about how after Katrina the tourism hasnt been were it once was in this area.
    Captain Tom took us around his Bayou and he had drinks and snacks for us on the boat too.

• atufft's Profile Photo

Munson's Swamp Tours

by atufft Updated Nov 12, 2007

About 90 minutes west of New Orleans along the Cajun Coast is the community of Houma. We were in transit between New Orleans and Morgan City, so check not only my images and tips here, but check out my pages for Morgan City. Munson Tours are a one boat operation at the reasonable price of $20 per adult, and the tour guides are authenticly Cajun raised in the bayou. The disadvantage of taking a tour in the Cajun gulf coast is that the forests are second growth and the tree trunks are relatively small in diameter. However, the tour operations in this area do provide gator and wildlife appreciation which deserves support among those ecologically minded. So, it was that we joined a family on a boat tour (not the ecology compromising fan boat) of a bayou. In winter time, the trees are more often bare and the gators are hiberating, but we saw plenty of wildlife and the unique beauty of the swamp. So, for example, when I talk about the area being second growth, I have to remember that in the delta region of California, there is not even second growth standing. It's all farmland, pastureland, freeways, and houses. It's a good day get away from the urban chaos of New Orleans.

Munson building & dock Pontoon Boat video work The bayou White Crane in Tree Buzzards come for food scraps

• bhalliwell's Profile Photo

Grab a gator!!

by bhalliwell Written Apr 26, 2006

There are several swamp tours...I have done two and found that Louisiana Swamp Tours was my fave. Super good guides, saw TONS of Gators and got to hold a little guy. Worth every penny. Had to get a hat, too!

Gotta do the Airboat!

My new pet! Our guide tempting fate Little Bad Ass Watch ya fingers and toes!

• Taffster's Profile Photo

Swamp Tours on the Bayou

by Taffster Written Apr 8, 2006

Even though i was thoroughly hungover following a heavy night (and morning) on Bourbon Street, the swamp tour was awesome. It was great to be cruising along the Louisiana bayou taking in the wildlife including HUGE dragonflies and of course, bad boy alligators.
    Check this out - a great experience.

bad boy gator

• Yasmine03's Profile Photo

The Bayou In The Mangrove

by Yasmine03 Updated Sep 14, 2005

According to our tour guide Bayou means River. It was quite an adventure in the Bayou. Very Indiana Jones. The mangrove looks very mystical. This dilapidated shack was once used for crocodile watching.

Shack for crocodile watching in the bayou
    • Adventure Travel