Bad Neighborhoods, New Orleans

Louis Armstrong
    by CoAir13
  • For the Real Scoop From a Resident

by tomasrey88 Written Jan 2, 2014

Other posters tell you what neighborhoods to avoid and which are "safe". I invite you to notice how idiotic their advice is. Think about it. If the nice neghborhoods have all the money, where do you think the thugs will go to rob people? Bad people can walk or drive a car. "Bad neighborhoods" are not cages. Thugs are not vampires. It is not safer in the day. It just feels safer. If you are American, carry a gun and be prepared to use it. If you are a foreign tourist, carry a big metal flaslight and walk in large groups. Join a tour group. You will be perfectly safe.

The advice telling you to carry mugging money because if you don't have any money, an enraged thug will shoot you is really dumb. The thug promises not to kill you if you give him money. How much do you trust this thug to keep his promise not to kill you? My life is too valuable to trust some low life to keep his promise. I trust my ability too shoot him first more. Keep a gun in your pocket so you can shoot it from inside your pocket without anybody knowing until after you've fired.

• Festivals
    • Music

• Bad neighborhoods

by hairyback Written Oct 7, 2013

It is funny to see some of these older posts that accuse people of writing about things they know nothing about. Well it is October 7, 1013 and NOLA is known as the 3rd most dangerous city in America. I have never lived in NOLA, but I travel here for work all the time. I see the good and bad in the city. There are a lot of good people in this town, the food is awesome, and the music is fantastic. But as for the neighborhoods that make up the city of New Orleans, I would not want any family member of mine walking thru MOST of them, and I would never recommend them to move here. All I wil say is come down here and see for yourself. Outside the French Quarter and a few closeby neighborhoods, this town is nasty. And if you think there is no coruption here, just ask the former mayor Nagen. Well you may have to wait to see which prison he is assigned to before asking him anything. lol

• New Orleans is the Best City in America imho

by ebblaw Written Apr 30, 2013

Short and sweet: New Orleans is so awesome that it's worth the risks. And, let me say that I've wandered solo, dead drunk, super late, with NO problems. Yes, I got lucky. But that's important to know -- it's not like one minor transgression means your life. Simple tip: when you leave your room pack your pockets as though giving a thief what he wants is a speed contest. Take as much cash as you'd be super stoked to give away, and only take one credit card. Put your ID in a separate pocket by ITSELF ... make it EASY for them to INSTANTLY see it as valueless and want to leave it with you. Leave the sentimental stuff in the room. If you get held up, you should be "BAM, here ya go bro!" The transaction should take 3.5 seconds or less. Don't look them in the eyes either ... just make the "it's all you man" face while averting your gaze. Then, enjoy the rest of the night with the $60 you had stuffed in the sole of your shoe. Maybe hit Broadfish by the FQ courthouse -- BEST DRINKS ON EARTH -- you'll prally need it.

• AndrewR22's Profile Photo

Be smart, be aware, and enjoy!

by AndrewR22 Written Feb 3, 2013

You don't have to guess. Look at the Crime Mapping - +800 crimes between 1/1/2013 - 1/31/2013. We lived in N'awlins for several years and learned the do's and dont's. Bars on the windows in Vieux Carre (voo caray - in case you feel tempted to use your High School French), automatic steel gates, barbed wire and broken glass on the fences in the Garden District (once you are home at night, you don't leave). If you feel tempted to walk on the levee, any street other than Bourbon, Royal, Chartres or Decatur in the French Quarter, Magazine Street, Irish Channel... you will be at serious risk. We used to carry "hold-up money" after a lady walking out of a restaurant on Carrollton was shot in the face because she had no money on her. Police woman, a student of my wife's, told her not to stop at red lights at night, but just roll through.I have dozens of articles from the The Times-Picayune describing the most atrocious of crimes or the most outrageous of circumstances. In short, if you walk around NOLA blithely and unaware of realities, you may get punished for your naivete. As opposed to other major cities in the States, there are no safe neighborhoods. All have a mix of good and bad and what looks good during the day, frequently changes character at night. At night, walk in illuminated areas, walk where there are lots of people and walk in groups. You will be OK. During the day, it's a lot safer in the VC, CBD, Garden District, Uptown/Carrolton. As a tourist I would NEVER venture into Mid-City, 9th Ward, Bywater, St. Bernard (7th Ward), Desire (9th Ward), Florida (9th Ward), Lafitte (6th Ward), Iberville (4th Ward). There is no real reason to. Enjoy NOLA for what it is: a unique city, a unique culture... best music in the World, incredible food and drinks, people who are ready to party at any time... have a muffuletta on me at Central Grocery on Decatur or a Po' Boy at Mother's on Poydras. You will be dreaming about a Ferdi Special for years.

• New Orleans is a city.

by Sebnyc Written Nov 25, 2012

I was reading the comments and warnings about New Orleans and I wanted to add my 2 cents. I'm from New York and I know cities. New Orleans is a city. There are good neighborhoods and bad neighborhoods. I lived in New Orleans for a year between 2010 and 2011 and have visited several times since. I like this city I really like it.

New Orleans is place where you should be aware of your surroundings, be smart and you'll be fine. I worked in the public schools while I was there and I traveled all over. I spent time in the East, on the Westbank, in the lower 9th, in the Treme, and in the Bywater on a daily basis. My advice is to treat people with respect and to stick to well populated neighborhoods after dark.

I lived in Uptown and traveled by car, taxi or streetcar/bus all over MidCity, The Garden District, The Marigny and the French Quarter at all hours. Aside from the occasional person asking for money and the rather more frequent encounters with drunken white frat boys from Ohio I never felt uncomfortable in New Orleans. It's a great city and if you treat the people who live there with respect they will do the same for you.

• MarcW15 is absolutely correct

by RedBeardNOLA Written Sep 16, 2012

New Orleans is a city just like many other cities. It has its share of problems. Unfortunately, one of the biggest problems is people spouting off about things they know nothing about. People talk negatively about neighborhoods they've never even visited. Cab drivers warn passengers to stay out of neighborhoods, then ask how to get there. The city works hard to convince tourists that they'll be killed if they leave the confines of the French Quarter ~ so do bars, restaurants, shops and hotels. Ever wonder why? Think maybe money has something to do with it? New Orleans is full of fascinating neighborhoods, each uniques and different. Most of our historic neighborhoods are in some sort of decay, some worse than others. New Orleans is poor (that's another reason they try to keep you in the FQ) but poor people aren't bad people. And, people who look different than you in many ways are just like you. Unfortunately, racism is alive and well, just more often spoken in code. "that neighborhood isn't safe" What do you think the translation of that really is? And, oh by the way, the only time I was held up at gunpoint was about 20 years ago at dusk in the residential part of the French Quarter... People, put your City Sense Hat on and truly experience this wonderful city. If your senses tell you it might not be safe listen. If you're a racist, homophobe or bigot, New Orleans probably isn't for you ~ keep driving, there's plenty of stuff to see in all directions.

• Architecture
    • Photography

***

by MarcW15 Written Aug 6, 2012

Any advice that there isn't much to see outside the french quarter and Audubon/Carrollton is ridiculous. Literally every corner of this city has unique, culturally and historically intriguing characteristics that should not be missed out on due to racist misconceptions that falsely associate a diverse racial demographic with danger.

• Not as bad as people make it out to be

by northshoregrl Written May 25, 2012

So I have lived in New Orleans for about a year now after being completely terrified of even crossing the causeway. Its not as bad as people make it out to be. If you are a tourist then just stay in the French Quarter or the Audubon/Carrolton area, you should be completely safe here during the day and there isn't much to see anywhere else. I don't go out at night unless I have to and neither should you. If you are here to party, just stay in the FQ where there are a lot of people. Most of the shootings here are drug related and specific people are targeted. People who are getting robbed, stabbed ect....are people who have decided to wander around in parts they shouldn't.

Uptown, Garden District and the FQ including the Warehouse District are the nicest parts of town. Marigny and Bywater are OK but a little weird. Mid City, Central City, Ninth Ward, NO east....your better to just stay away, especially the last two. Don't go north of Rampart St in the FQ...East of Louisiana Ave and North of St. Charles is shady until you get to the FQ....And I don't go north of I-10...I've heard its bad but can't report for myself...same with the Westbank (everything on the otherside of the ms river). Most of Metairie is fine but it not really a tourist destination...unless you want to go shopping at the lakeside mall.

• A little worried

by Indianadad69 Written May 19, 2012

Me, my wife, and 3 daughters are driving thru New Orleans next week on our way to Houston to visit family. I would LOVE to spend the afternoon in New Orleans exploring the french quarter, and seeing other famous sights, but I'm worried.... I've tried doing research from multiple sources, but I don't know who to believe. Where can I get the truth, whole truth, and nothing but the truth concerning crime, and staying away from it on our visit... I'm tempted to just keep driving thru and not stop.

• Awesome City

by sandmeyer Written Jan 19, 2012

This town is very old and has been through a ton, i have been here one night and i can already tell, its just like any great city. Awesome bars, amazing food and activities, the girl that posted before me is right, i research alot about where i go before i travel and i am aware of bad areas, most are off tourist routes. You will always see that sketchy guy, or homeless man, but you will find that in any city. New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles. Im from a suburb of Los Angeles about 25 miles from downtown, but i love traveling and culture, dont live afraid of the world. just be smart.

• Some good advice

by tremeresident Written Oct 12, 2011

Whilst it rankles to see my neighborhood described as 'hell on earth', i don't deny there can be problems, however it is unrecognizable to me as described by your contributors. Mid City is a fairly mixed neighborhood with some great bars & restaurants (Pal's & Parkway Bakery for starters). Park your car nearby or call a cab. Don't go wandering around after dark. Hell, i also live in rough East London too & i don't walk the streets after dark - common sense people! The Treme has become more of a visitors destination since the (great) show of the same name. Daytime wander around old Treme (south of the I-10) at will with your Canons, everybody else seems to. But actually why go north of the I-10 if you don't have to? Late night groups of nervous cyclists are becoming more common, and on my block they are treated with a healthy dose of cynicism & laughter. If you should be unlucky enough to find yourself looking down the barrel of a gun just give them what they want and you will in all likelihood be left alone.

• New Orleans is just as dangerous as any big city.

by jmarsh89 Written Sep 18, 2011

While travelers should be careful to avoid bad neighborhoods (they are pretty easy to spot- blight everywhere) these are not really on the tourist trail. Tourists should be careful to avoid walking alone at night, walking alone at night while texting on an iPhone4, walking alone at night while drunk and texting on an iPhone4.

Most of the muggings of tourists involve iPhones these days. True story. Don't be dumb. Don't wave your cool stuff around. Be aware of your surroundings.

Nightman_Cometh is a little offensive, doesn't understand this city at all, is probably from the suburbs, and I can't help but think he might have overreacted to some poor homeless dude bugging him for money. He probably can't parallel park, either.

That's the city, and I have been bugged and annoyed by plenty of homeless guys, but never threatened. Ever. I would only pepper spray someone if they touched me.

• Study Abroad

• Don't be city stupid!

by JolieBlonde Updated Jul 14, 2011

I have found much of the information on New Orleans incorrect, and some is downright insulting! Nightman_Cometh does not know what he is talking about. First, he says that violence is all these people know.(This and other disparaging comments about Southerners should be enough to discredit this cretin.) Then, he says he was approached by a homeless man and he drew a knife while his girlfriend sprayed the guy with mace. It sounds to me like he is the one who only knows violence!

Of course, there are dangerous neighborhoods in New Orleans, but anyone with any sense about travel or big American cities should be fine. I lived in New Orleans for 27 years and I go there 3-4 times a year, and I have never had a problem. I don't walk around the projects, I stay between Rampart and the river in the French Quarter. In addition to the French Quarter, I love Fauberg Marigny, the Warehouse District, uptown, lakeview and the Point, the City Park area, Carollton AV, Gentilly near the Race Track, and many other areas of town.

Please stay home, Nightman, or at least above the Mason Dixon line. We don't need you, your knife, or your other weapons in our cities.

• Its dangerous, but BE SMART!

by Nightman_Cometh Written Apr 25, 2011

Yes, New Orleans is dangerous as are most of the big and medium size cities in the south (Houston, Atlanta, Jacksonville, etc). The people in the South are different than the rest of the country. Violence is a first option to most of these people, because that is all they know. Its not their fault.

But be smart when going to New Orleans. If you dont have a concealed weapons permit then carry a knife or pepper spray. Last summer when I was in New Orleans, my girlfriend and I were approached by a scary homeless man that was getting in our face. As soon as my I pulled my knife and put it in the guys face, my girlfriend maced him and he took off. We were in the French Quarter, and there were absolutely no police around. New Orleans (and most cities in the south) are dangerous and the police would rather go home to their family at night then deal with any criminals, so its up to you to defend yourself.

Its 2011 and people no longer care about their fellow man. Always carry protection on you. If a group of thugs blocks the street, put your head down, slam on the pedal and run them over.

Its either you or them, take your pick.

• bocmaxima's Profile Photo

Areas to Avoid

by bocmaxima Written Apr 19, 2011

It's an unfortunate situation where you can't walk around as a tourist everywhere in the city, but it's a fact of life in most cities in the US. New Orleans is no different and, in many ways, is worse.

One area that you may find information about avoiding is Mid-City, which runs along Canal Street and Tulane Avenue north from I-10. This area has changed dramatically in the past five years and, as it stands, it is generally safe to go to Mid-City along Canal Street and north to Esplanade, a credit to the streetcar line running from Canal up to Lakeview. There are actually quite a few restaurants, bars and cafes in a very pretty part of town, and following the streetcar north to its end puts you in front of some of the larger iconic cemeteries in the city. However, you should not venture too far south/west of Canal, as this is where it starts to get more dangerous for tourists. It's an area that was hard hit by the hurricanes and has not really recovered.

Just north of the French Quarter is another area to avoid, that many tourists get caught in trying to visit the cemeteries. As soon as you cross Rampart from both sides of Canal Street (the CBD and French Quarter), you enter a fairly dangerous neighborhood. The Basin Street Projects are relatively dangerous, but it gets worse as you cross I-10 and enter a depopulated region between Canal and Esplanade. Be careful of the area north of Rampart during the day, and absolutely do not go there at night. Do not ever venture north of I-10 and east Canal. If you need to go north, take the streetcar.

Marigny, the area just east of the French Quarter across Esplanade, is generally a safe area. Bywater, just to the east of there, is also generally safe and has seen quite a bit of gentrification in the past five years. However, both of these neighborhoods end at St. Claude Avenue, and that's where you should stop. North of there is not safe to walk around.

Don't be scared of exploring the neighborhoods of New Orleans, but also be aware how quickly these neighborhoods can become unsafe.

Instant Answers: New Orleans

• Apr 11, 2013 at 5:12 AM

I went to NOLA this year and i am glad i did not read these comments. I went to most of the neighborhoods including 9th ward (during day), and stayed out very late in FQ every night. It's not like other cities, it's much better. Maybe I was lucky. Just like with other neighborhoods and cities, be smart and careful. I thought people in NOLA are some of the most polite and friendly people in the whole country. If you go with kids, stay in FQ and Garden District during day and it should be a wonderful experience.

• Feb 28, 2013 at 4:54 PM

We are planning a trip there soon and I am looking at places to see. I am from St. Louis MO (supposedly one of the most dangerous cities in the US) I have never felt threatened here so it makes me wonder how dangerous New Orleans really is. There are always good an bad neighborhoods but just because a neighborhood is "poor" does not mean it is dangerous. So Now I am really confused. We are only staying a few days. SO I guess I will hope for the best.