Crime, New Orleans

Know about this?

• Crime
    by VeronicaG
  • Location of the Cresent City PD 8th District
    Location of the Cresent City PD 8th...
    by aphrodyte
  • Crime
    by beanboy34
  • Beware of muggers lurking in the dark

by desertdeserter Written Jul 19, 2010

My family (husband and 2 daughters) just came from our fourth visit to the French Quarter. It's a Monday night. We were walking on St. Ann (I think) where it intersects with Bourbon Street. We foolishly started heading down a dark street toward the lighted entrance to Armstrong Park. I remembered advice we had been given by a French Quarter businessman who told us not to walk in dark areas. I got a bad vibe and suggested we turn back. It's a good thing we did. It turns out we were being followed by two African American guys. When we stopped to turn around, they did too. They avoided eye contact with us when we passed. We watched them resume their post at the intersection--no doubt waiting for someone else to wander off, unaware, into the dark. Later, we reported them to a policeman who said that the location we were in was known for crime. We assume the guys would have robbed us. (A local told us to watch out for guys who walk in pairs--they are almost always armed.) So, please, if you go into the French Quarter at night, stay in the lighted, populated areas! Be especially careful if you drink--don't go anywhere alone!

• Be very, very careful, or don't go

by 4beachgirl Written Jul 16, 2010

I've been living in New Orleans for the past five years and have NEVER felt safe. I used to love walking around or biking to explore, but not anymore. Each time I walk my heart rate goes up just because I'm scared someone is going to grab me from behind (being a girl I'm more scared for reasons girls understand). I use to walk my huge dog down to the grocery (mid-day) and tie him up while I went inside, but not anymore, A LOT of dogs get stolen(for fighting or because they can't get one on their own(not responsible) and especially small dogs!) so I can't really do that anymore. Today I mostly stay indoors while I wait out my stay. In the past 6 months there have been at least 4 shootings on my block and none of them are on the crime maps. Don't believe the crime maps! Almost every violent crime I've heard of are not on the crime maps or don't even make the news. This may be because uptown is supposed to be nice. My family has never visited by my request. It's not safe at any time of the day! I don't carry a purse or my entire wallet anymore, just my license and some cash in case I get robbed. Read projectnola.com for some of the latest crime news, most of it is on there.

• Travel with Pets
    • School Holidays

• Look for trouble, you WILL find it...

by DJMeek Written Apr 6, 2010

I've been to New Orleans SEVERAL times before and after Katrina. I go to clubs, bars, everywhere with no problems...because I'm lot looking to be involved in illegal/not-so-smart activities. New Orleans is a wonderful, fun city & the people are so lovely...this is my favorite place to visit in the south. If you love to have fun, it may be yours too. Check it out!

• lizzytex's Profile Photo

No Worries!!

by lizzytex Written Mar 30, 2010

I have been to New Orleans many times since the hurricane and I have never encountered any trouble with crime! Like any big city, just be aware of your surroundings - although I can say I feel safer here than I do in many other cities just because of the amount of people around at all hours of the day. I love this city - it's so vibrant with great architecture and restaurants and nightlife - I am going again this weekend and cannot wait!!!

• Don't worry!!

by lizzytex00 Written Mar 30, 2010

• Tuesdaysraven's Profile Photo

Sunday afternoon - empty streets not so safe

by Tuesdaysraven Updated Mar 28, 2010

I arrived in NOLA on a sunny Sunday afternoon and decided to walk from the Amtrak station to my St Charles avenue hotel because train staff told me it was only about 8 blocks and I could see the right direction so there was no danger of getting lost. As a lone female, another woman asked to walk with me (she was there on business with her suitcase and visted frequently). I am happy she did.

The streets looked lovely and peaceful but within a block a small gang popped up out of nowhere and gave us some moderate hassle (judging by their comments it was because we were female). I am not easily worried - and I walk around alone in many cities - but I was actually (on the inside) scared by them and I think it was lucky there were two of us. They let us move on unharmed. I was grateful that I was wearing jeans and t-shirt with no jewellery, and my small camera was discreetly hidden in my jeans.

I would never normally think twice about walking only a few blocks in broad daylight and I did walk back to the train station alone a couple of days later because it was early (8am-ish) in the morning and I thought the younger gang types would be sleeping late :D I did get followed by street people hassling for money but I (feeling rude though!) ignored them and walked on briskly. Next time if I arrived on a weekend with quiet streets I might well consider a taxi even for such a short distance (sadly). I learned to be more cautious of empty streets in NOLA.

• Singles
    • Women's Travel

• Don't listen to these people!

by mike4900 Written Mar 7, 2010

I took my wife to N.O. over the weekend, didn't feel unsafe a single time. We walked everywhere (after dark, while drunk, with expensive jewelry on, with a big camera, etc) without a single conflict. The streets were packed with tourists 24 hours a day, bars and restaurants were jumping. This was her first time there (my third), and up until now her favorite place for a weekend getaway was Key West - she liked N.O. more. So much to see, and some of the best eating/drinking/people watching in the world. So DO NOT hesitate to go there because of the crime rumors, its an awesome place. Unless you choose to go to the high crime areas (which EVERY city in the US has), you'll never have an issue.

• AVOID NEW ORLEANS, NOT SAFE

by celeste20 Written Jan 8, 2010

I was there less than an hour before my wallet was stolen containing all of my credit cards, cash and ID. Now, the thieves are trying to steal my identity and open new credit. The police have not been very helpful, I have even had a hard time reaching them since the incident to give them additional information on my case. Avoid New Orleans, too much crime.

• new orleans crime

by coachp1113 Written May 27, 2009

i just got back from New Orleans and had read all the warnings up on these posts and was honestly a bit spooked by them all. i can tell you after 4 days there, we never once encountered anything, nor saw anything that was scary. Sure we heard sirens going up the street but never into the French quarter. We stayed in the quarter or on the Charles street trolley or the Garden district or Jackson square and never had a problem. So don't believe all the posts. It's a big city, i am sure they have crime like any others. But if you are not stupid and stay in the quarter or near where there are groups of people, you'll be fine! Have fun.

• never had a problem

by arb2181 Written May 4, 2009

Like any other big city, walk with other people and know the areas your going in.. I have been in and around the french quarter about 30 times, and not once have I have had any problems. In my opinion i felt more safe when i stayed in new olreans, than I did in houston or dallas.. New Orleans has problems but its just like other major cities, with much more culture I must add.

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo

Just Be Careful

by VeronicaG Written Jan 22, 2009

In preparing for our trip to New Orleans, I read several times that one should be very careful wandering around certain districts. One of those cautions involved the visiting of cemetaries.

When we stopped by St. Louis cemetery #3, we were with a tour group. Even then, we were told to stay with the group and not to wander. It seems that these areas attract certain people who are involved with drugs. They tend to cluster deep in the middle of the cemetery, where eyes can't easily find them.

We were perfectly safe walking about the French Quarter, where the presence of policemen was in evidence. Never did we feel in danger while visiting this lovely historic city

• Seniors
    • Singles

• bourbs's Profile Photo

Keep Your Head Up!

by bourbs Written Jan 22, 2009

New Orleans is extremely dangerous and getting worse all the time.
    Do not go off of the main busy lighted streets in the french quarter, DAY OR NIGHT.
    Keep your head up, and know where you are and what and who is going on around you at all times.
    If it wasn't for my husband I would leave this city. There are too many thugs who have no respect for the safety of others, and they will not hesitate to kill to get what they want.
    There aren't enough police to cover all the cowards here who will kill at the drop of a hat.

• Develop Street Smarts and Be Genuinely Friendly

by 504Downtowner Written Nov 29, 2008

New Orleans is a fantastic city. I live here, and I feel pretty darn safe all the time. I would advise any tourist coming to New Orleans to understand where they are. Sometimes, you're just gonna run into local losers who will try to hustle you, and you may see a few gutter punks spanging for beer now and again. If you're smart about it and avoid drug dealers and serious gangstas (i.e. get a good city map and ask a nice person who's been here long enough to know better which parts of town are less "savory"), you'll be fine! And remember to support our artists and musicians!! :)

• crime is killing a legendary city

by pucket Written May 21, 2008

I grew up in new orleans east, and i have to say i'm ashamed of being afraid to visit the home i grew up in... crime is rampant... the people of new orleans are killing their city... a city that has historically been a place where people could experience things no other city has to offer. i.e. art, jazz, french quarters, the food, interesting people..... now it is a dangerous place for people to visit... the shops are run by foreign people, the bars are a rip off. the talent is hard to find. jackson square is run by card reading rip offs... it really makes me sad:( I have since moved away from new orleans like most of the middle class and live in mississippi.. i only travel to new orleans when i have to.

• Avoid the Clowns in the French Quarter

by beanboy34 Written Apr 12, 2007

I know it sounds dumb, but there are several clown posse's in the quarter. They act like a stage act, but when you stop to watch them, another one tries to pick pocket your pants. I know, this happened to me. We were harrangued by a group of clowns who we thought were performers. Then one of the clowns grabbed my girl friends purse and I chased him about three blocks yelling for him to stop. He then reached inside his large balloon pants and pulled out a spray can and sprayed me in the face. I thought at first it was mace, but it was only clown paint.

We spent the rest of the night at the police station but unfortunately our artist drawings were not helpful as they were all in costume. Just be aware.

Instant Answers: New Orleans

• Nov 11, 2012 at 3:53 AM

A word to the wise from someone who visits NOLA regularly: Louisiana is a concealed carry state. Use it.